DCM TP160S Bookshelf Speaker Deals

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You can probably flip them for $120-$150 after they get sold out.
There are some guys selling the Infinity R162 for $310 on Amazon.
I expect they are buying them (I think Harman Audio limits to 5 pairs) when on sale for $200 and selling them at $310. When they are no longer on sale, $310 is still a bargain, it sure beats $450 (MSRP) and if a buyer waits for the next sale, there is always a chance that there won't be a next sale (although they have been playing this game for years).

But yeah, you're right, you don't need another (very nice sounding) speaker (at a screaming deal price of $80/pr)!:p
I think you are wearing him down. LOL :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This nailed it for me on the quality of the DCM

Pretty impressive performance and recording!
However, I almost wonder if you are taunting me, because the Bari Sax player (my own part) is off-pitch throughout. His worst (most prominient and out of tune) notes are at 0:44 and 0:50. Not horrible and nowhere near as off-pitch as Bob Dylan or Neil Young singing (I say this to point out that the pitch thing is probably as much a personal sensitivity as anything - obviously BD and NY are great musicians - just don't make me listen to Dylan when others can sing his music so much more on-pitch)!:)

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Pretty impressive performance and recording!
However, I almost wonder if you are taunting me, because the Bari Sax player (my own part) is off-pitch throughout. His worst (most prominient and out of tune) notes are at 0:44 and 0:50. Not horrible and nowhere near as off-pitch as Bob Dylan or Neil Young singing (I say this to point out that the pitch thing is probably as much a personal sensitivity as anything - obviously BD and NY are great musicians - just don't make me listen to Dylan when others can sing his music on-pitch)!:)
No, I am not picking on you.:) My ears are not tuned to the Bari Sax like yours would be. I am not a big fan of Bob Dylan or Neil Young.

On a side note I have the TFE60 bookshelf speakers due in tomorrow -- the shipping weight is a little over 50 lbs -- mercy, but I will get them inside. I am starting to feel good about them, even though their looks may not be the best, just as the JBL Studio 530 are not the best looking. But overall looks are not important to me.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
No, I am not picking on you.:) My ears are not tuned to the Bari Sax like yours would be. I am not a big fan of Bob Dylan or Neil Young.

On a side note I have the TFE60 bookshelf speakers due in tomorrow -- the shipping weight is a little over 50 lbs -- mercy, but I will get them inside. I am starting to feel good about them, even though their looks may not be the best, just as the JBL Studio 530 are not the best looking. But overall looks are not important to me.
I am very curious to hear your thoughts on how they compare to the TP160's!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Did they arrive on time?
Thoughts?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Did they arrive on time?
Thoughts?
The TFE60 speakers are here, and they do look better in person -- they are 21 lbs each and 16 inches deep -- the front baffle is one inch and the rest is 3/4 inch -- the finish is black vinyl wrap to keep the cost down. I tested them with the grills off, but they sound really nice with the grills and seem to be voiced that way. And if one has cats, then these are a good option. I will not call them perfect, but if one wanted more bass, then you got it. If one wanted a touch of warmth, then you got it. If one wanted a bigger, deeper, wider, and more depth in the soundstage, then you got it. So far with a little bit of listening, I put them on level with the likes of JBL Studio 530, Ascend CBM-170 speakers -- and they are close to the former Boston VS260 speakers.

Edit -- Still doing a little more listening on the TFE60, they seem to radiate a little different -- some of it may have to do with its vertical and horizontal dispersion -- they do display Sade's high and low voice tones pretty good (as her voice is unique). While these are not the most detailed or refined speakers, still a lot is revealed (poor recordings will stand out) .... will need to throw them against the TP160S speakers as the 160S is good for its price and a rare budget gem for me.

The cabinet front baffle is wood covered with hard molded plastic and the cabinet is corner-braced and is heavily stuffed, but did OK on the door-knock-test, better than some others -- the hard plastic top covering seems to help .... the grill is a little challenging to take off. -- the tweeter is a little bigger than the TP series.

A slide show
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=slideshow;album=31432;start=199547;size=large

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Do I understand correctly that the front baffle is 1" thick and plastic?
Do you mean the reinforcement ribs in the plastic are 1" deep?
Thanks!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Do you mean the reinforcement ribs in the plastic are 1" deep?
Thanks!
The front baffle is wood then covered with hard plastic -- but the drivers are screwed into wood. As far as I can tell, it is thin plastic over the wood (or maybe paint) -- I was tired last night

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I see where I tripped up when I wrote > The cabinet front baffle is hard molded plastic -- I corrected it to read > The cabinet front baffle is wood covered with hard molded plastic

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
OK -- I removed one of the grills and took the woofer out, which is not easy, as you have to remove the terminal cup and put your hand inside to push the woofer out -- there is sticky paper over-hang which helps secure the molded plastic to the baffle, and I guess to help hold the woofer to the wood for a good seal. -- the front baffle is 3/4 inch wood and 1/4 inch plastic to make that 1 inch. ... some pictures which include the screws for the grill, and the heavy duty grill.

1570845324860.png

1570847647823.png

1570845434986.png

1570845533965.png

1570845616459.png

Attachments

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That tweeter looks like an eyeball.
I am going to tell you a secret as I did not want to comment in another thread -- I like the DCM TFE60 speakers better than the former RBH MC-6 (the waveguide ones). ... but keep it a secret.:)

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
So are you guys in agreement that these are a notch below the infinity's?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So are you guys in agreement that these are a notch below the infinity's?
Are you talking the TP or the TFE?
From my perspective, the Infinity R152/R162 is a well designed speaker and the TP160S is also well designed. I have not set them side by side for a comparison, but the Ceramic-aluminum tweeter favors the Infinity over the TP160. On the low end, I kind of feel the TP160 has a throatiness which is nice compared to the Infinity.
Assuming you will use a subwoofer, I consider it a fairly easy call for the Infinity. However, if you will rely on the speaker for your bass, it begins to be more of a matter of personal preference!
If you can wait a couple of days, I can perform a direct comparison on Tuesday, but tell me more about how you will use them.

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
Are you talking the TP or the TFE?
From my perspective, the Infinity R152/R162 is a well designed speaker and the TP160S is also well designed. I have not set them side by side for a comparison, but the Ceramic-aluminum tweeter favors the Infinity over the TP160. On the low end, I kind of feel the TP160 has a throatiness which is nice compared to the Infinity.
Assuming you will use a subwoofer, I consider it a fairly easy call for the Infinity. However, if you will rely on the speaker for your bass, it begins to be more of a matter of personal preference!
If you can wait a couple of days, I can perform a direct comparison on Tuesday, but tell me more about how you will use them.
cool cool I'll look 4ward to the comparison, sorry for the confusion, I meant the tp.

And out of curiosity have you all considered setting up a youtube channel and perhaps make some money from your hobby?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis