Dayton sa100 humming

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I have a HSU StF 1 in my bedroom and the amp went bad. I ordered a new amp from PE Dayton SA100. Hooked it up yesterday and sounds great. However I notice a low humming coming from the amp. The humming is there if I unplug the rca and even if I turn the auto switch to off. It is a low humming but annoying because it’s in my bedroom. Any ideas or should I call them and get it replaced? I’m wondering if they send another one if it will do the same thing.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a HSU StF 1 in my bedroom and the amp went bad. I ordered a new amp from PE Dayton SA100. Hooked it up yesterday and sounds great. However I notice a low humming coming from the amp. The humming is there if I unplug the rca and even if I turn the auto switch to off. It is a low humming but annoying because it’s in my bedroom. Any ideas or should I call them and get it replaced? I’m wondering if they send another one if it will do the same thing.
You need to return it. It probably has an amp fault. If it is a design fault the replacement will hum as well.

highfigh

highfigh

Call them.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I did end up returning it. Does anyone else have any experience with theses Dayton amps? I was debating ordering a replacement but if they all hum like this I’m not going to order it

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I did end up returning it. Does anyone else have any experience with theses Dayton amps? I was debating ordering a replacement but if they all hum like this I’m not going to order it
It is difficult to get a true idea of the hum you experienced. The spec on that amp for S/N is 90 db A weighted. A weighting makes the numbers look better. That is not a particularly good spec. So in a small quiet bedroom you might well just about hear that noise in the room away from the speakers.

Your sub, is an old 8" sub, that these days would no rate as a sub. You have to decide whether the cost of repair is worth it. May be it would be better to think about getting a new more potent sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Now that I look at your sub I'd probably have just bought a better sub when given the opportunity :)

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Well maybe it’s time to Call it quits and get rid of the hsu stf1. I do have another HSU 10 inch that I’ll use instead. It’s only for the bedroom. It’s probably not worth fixing

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis