Dayton Audio Best Budget Speakers Out There???

S

sammyb

Audiophyte
I hadn't considered the issue of boundary gain, I'll have to educate myself further. I do know sealed enclosures are more forgiving of placement, and that's my I'm considering the NHT super zeros. My concern is that even with a sub, they will be lacking in mid bass. If I had the room, I would go with the Super ones. That's why MTMs with 4 inch woofers seem like the best compromise. Similar to the MK442s, I've considered and researched using the NHT super center in vertical orientation, though I think the mid bass issue would persist. Anyone know of small (less than six inch wide)sealed alternatives with better mid bass (85hz) than the super zeroes?

Joentell

Joentell

Audiophyte
I love that you took the time to review a pair of $70-$100 speakers the same way you would a $100k pair. I made a video of the MK402's on my channel and I came to the same conclusion, treble is hot, but everything else is pretty impressive.

I'm curious about the 442's as a stereo pair now.

Side note: people in the industry are always wondering what it takes to get the younger crowd into audio, I think products like these are it. When I was young, I couldn't afford good gear. If someone were to start off with a pair of these, I think they would get hooked pretty quickly.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I love that you took the time to review a pair of $70-$100 speakers the same way you would a $100k pair. I made a video of the MK402's on my channel and I came to the same conclusion, treble is hot, but everything else is pretty impressive.

I'm curious about the 442's as a stereo pair now.

Side note: people in the industry are always wondering what it takes to get the younger crowd into audio, I think products like these are it. When I was young, I couldn't afford good gear. If someone were to start off with a pair of these, I think they would get hooked pretty quickly.
Thank you, Joe! I watched your video to see other reviewer's reactions (for those who are curious, his video review can be seen here),and your conclusions are very similar to mine. Very nice review as well. Some other reviewers seem to have not been bothered by the hot treble at all.

If you ask me, it makes more sense to give cheaper speakers this level of scrutiny since there will be a lot more buyers for these than there will be for far more expensive products. I think one miscalculation I made is that many buyers within this extremely low price range probably aren't going to be doing a whole lot of homework on the products they buy, so these reviews might be overkill. Still, for those who are broke but still want the best speaker system that they can afford and are willing to do some research, I am hoping these reviews can give them a little bit of help.

Last edited:
The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Based on Audioholics Best of 2018 I decided to get a host of 'budget' speakers and spend the entire day tweaking and tuning it until it sounded just right.
Although it can't touch our main theater or even our game room for punch or overall dynamics it sounds leagues better than the old 2.1 system.
The new speakers and their wall mounts amounted to just over $400 including shipping (which is ridiculously cheap)!!
Everything is wall mounted except for the center which is at ear level and the system is now 5.2.
Mains: Dayton MK442's (c/l/r) mounted vertically.
Center: Dayton MK402's (bookshelf).
Surrounds: Polk R1's (bookshelf)
Subs:
a) BIC America F12
b) Definitive Technology Prosub 80
Receiver: Denon 3805
DVD/SACD: Denon 2901
Blu-Ray: Sony BDPS6700
Display: Samsung LED LCD.
Interconnects: all Blue Jeans Cable, Monoprice, Audioquest, and some random 14awg wire spool.
After much tweaking with speaker levels and distances, gain on the subs, EQ adjustment on the MK402, running all new cable races + filling holes and repainting: we have a nice new space to relax in and watch movies/stream youtube/play retro games etc.
Did all the install myself with critical feedback from my amazing wife.
52417113_2135505309863431_3733153687845994496_n.jpg

52540391_2135504699863492_1758221154121678848_n.jpg

52574018_2135504759863486_5443594825448292352_n.jpg

52708529_2135504746530154_8491662776740085760_n.jpg

Thanks Gene for the lead on these, they sound terrific for the meager amount I spent on them, and the Denon 3805 doesn't seem to bothered by their 4(5?)ohm rating.
As you mentioned in your review I EQ'd the MK402 in the upper spectrum to smooth it out, and it took some tweaking level wise to get everything to sound homogeneous.
The additional sub really evened out the bass in the room, although the gain on the F12 is ridiculous and it's currently set at 1.5 out of 10.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Based on Audioholics Best of 2018 I decided to get a host of 'budget' speakers and spend the entire day tweaking and tuning it until it sounded just right.
Although it can't touch our main theater or even our game room for punch or overall dynamics it sounds leagues better than the old 2.1 system.
The new speakers and their wall mounts amounted to just over $400 including shipping (which is ridiculously cheap)!!
Everything is wall mounted except for the center which is at ear level and the system is now 5.2.
Mains: Dayton MK442's (c/l/r) mounted vertically.
Center: Dayton MK402's (bookshelf).
Surrounds: Polk R1's (bookshelf)
Subs:
a) BIC America F12
b) Definitive Technology Prosub 80
Receiver: Denon 3805
DVD/SACD: Denon 2901
Blu-Ray: Sony BDPS6700
Display: Samsung LED LCD.
Interconnects: all Blue Jeans Cable, Monoprice, Audioquest, and some random 14awg wire spool.
After much tweaking with speaker levels and distances, gain on the subs, EQ adjustment on the MK402, running all new cable races + filling holes and repainting: we have a nice new space to relax in and watch movies/stream youtube/play retro games etc.
Did all the install myself with critical feedback from my amazing wife.
View attachment 28359
View attachment 28360
View attachment 28361
View attachment 28362
Thanks Gene for the lead on these, they sound terrific for the meager amount I spent on them, and the Denon 3805 doesn't seem to bothered by their 4(5?)ohm rating.
As you mentioned in your review I EQ'd the MK402 in the upper spectrum to smooth it out, and it took some tweaking level wise to get everything to sound homogeneous.
The additional sub really evened out the bass in the room, although the gain on the F12 is ridiculous and it's currently set at 1.5 out of 10.
You might think about angling the MK442 downward a little bit more so that the tweeters are aimed at the listening position- that is, if the speakers aren't too top heavy for those mounts. Those mounts look like either the AMT Pinpoint 40s or the Videosecu side-clamping mounts, essentially the same design, so I think they should be able to be angled a bit lower. Anyway, very nice setup, that is a killer little speaker system!

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
You might think about angling the MK442 downward a little bit more so that the tweeters are aimed at the listening position- that is, if the speakers aren't too top heavy for those mounts. Those mounts look like either the AMT Pinpoint 40s or the Videosecu side-clamping mounts, essentially the same design, so I think they should be able to be angled a bit lower. Anyway, very nice setup, that is a killer little speaker system!
They are in fact Videosecu side clampers.
I have them tightened down pretty well and I could definitely tilt them down tad more.
Tx for the tip!

T

TylerD

Audiophyte
I am wondering how two MK442s per channel in series at 8 ohms would sound.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am wondering how two MK442s per channel in series at 8 ohms would sound.
Bad. Louder perhaps, but it wouldn't sound great. It's almost always better to simply buy a bigger speaker than to double up on smaller ones.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I wouldn’t do it. It will likely cause interference and the end result would be hard to account for. In addition, the cost is more than the cost of simply a better speaker.

A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
Many of you may know that there is now an "X" version of the 402 and 402BT with a refined crossover per Parts Express:

"The built-in crossover creates a non-fatiguing, enjoyable listening experience. It features a 3.3 kHz, 3rd order high-pass, 2nd order low-pass The 7-component crossover uses asymmetrical slopes to help blend the two drivers in a more musical way. The crossover now has a flatter treble response that delivers a smoother high-end."

I wonder how the X version would measure, and whether they have eliminated the elevated treble of the original versions.

I'm playing around with a pair of the 402BTX just for kicks. I'm fairly impressed with the sound quality for $100. I have been using a Chromecast Audio with FLAC files and Spotify Premium. I plan to gift them to one of my kids after I give them a rundown.
- Pretty balanced and engaging sound.
- Decent bass within the limitations of a small speaker with a 4" woofer.
- Can hit moderate levels cleanly with the built-in amp.
- Sound much better than the typical $100 bluetooth speaker.

Nitpicks:
- Ports chuff and whistle when the volume is pushed with bass-heavy content. I'm talking stuff like Chris Stapleton's last 2 albums, not rap.
- Grill emblems are crooked on both speakers.
- Grills impact sound negatively.
- One of the crossover screws was stripped.
- Would like aptX and AAC bluetooth codecs, but that would add some cost.

I think a larger powered version (perhaps the 442 or a 5.25" woofer version) with more power, 1 or 2 (better) optical inputs, remote control, and aptX/AAC bluetooth for around $150-200/pr would be cool, as these speakers and drivers are a good budget platform to build from.

Last edited:
A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
After listening to the 402BTX some more last night, I think they may still have a bit of an elevated treble response, but not to an annoying or harsh level. Lively top end is how I would characterize them. For me personally, I would rather have bit of liveliness over dullness.

A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
I'd be curious to know the actual max w/ch vs. distortion and SPL the powered MK402BTX can do.

The specs are attached, but it's hard to tell what they really mean. My best guess is that the internal amp provides 20 w/ch RMS at <0.7% THD+N.

A distortion vs. SPL level test would be cool (as well as a frequency response test to determine if the new crossover delivers).

I'll lend my pair to Audioholics for a test. :)

These little "Mighty Mites" will do moderate background and nearfield levels just fine.
1566581775329.png

Last edited:
A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
If my math is right, the 18V 2A power supply can only deliver 36 W. Assuming 90% amplifier efficiency, that would translate to 16.2 W/ch. Sound right?

Plugging 16.2 W/ch into this Peak SPL calculator, I get the numbers below at 15 feet and 3 feet. If all these numbers are pretty accurate, they confirm my observations that these speakers get plenty loud nearfield and loud enough for background music at 15 feet. When testing them in my garage, at about 15 feet away, they got as loud as I would want to play in the garage...any louder and I might bother the neighbors. :)

Net, these speakers make a nice sounding, inexpensive, compact system for background music in a garage.

Doing better for the money ($100),IMO, would require scoring deals on a used receiver and a good pair of used bookshelf speakers for $100 total. This is totally possible if you have the "eye" and patience - I have done it several times! :) In fact, I'm currently also playing with a $6 Onkyo TX-8211 50 W/ch receiver and a $70 pair of Polk RT35i in the garage. This system sounds "bigger" than the MK402BTX (because it is),but the MK402BTX hold their own at moderate levels.

Edit: for some reason, some spaces were lost after commas. Not sure if this is a common issue on this forum.

1566661782861.png

1566661839789.png

Last edited:
Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
Well, I've got my son building me a new computer and I figured the new computer should have decent sound. So I ordered the DTA-2.1BT2 100W 2.1 Class D Bluetooth Amplifier + MK402X 4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair + The MKSX4 Four 4" Driver Low Profile Passive Subwoofer.

I started out planning to just get the MK402BTX speakers but like usual, I talked myself into spending more. I figured with the amp I'll have more power, sub output and a tone control and if I want to change speakers in the future I can use anything I want with it. The sub looks perfect to put on or under a desk somewhere and should really take a load off the little speakers and should improve the overall sound quite a bit vs. expecting desk sized speakers to have adequate bass.

Should be one heck of an upgrade compared with the tiny little computer speakers I've been using all these years. Thanks for the review on these, I don't think I would have chosen these otherwise.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis