Datasat LS10 and RA7300

S

sushster

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, I recently made the plunge and bought the Datasat LS10 preamp and RA7300 amp. I'm now looking to upgrade my home theater speaker setup, and don't know where to start. I'm wondering if anyone has the same preamp and amp, or experience with datasat equipment that can provide some suggestions, or insight on how to make a decision?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Curious how much did you pay for both and what you have they replace.
Not what I could ever dissuade you, but upgrading electronics is typically astronomically terrible value proposition, instead of upgrading/adding speakers and/or room acoustics...

S

sushster

Audiophyte
I agree with you speakers are a better bang for your buck. But I got both at less than half the MRSP as demo models, so could not pass it up. I replaced a Anthem 300 that I am going to use in the bedroom instead.

I wanted a new setup for the living room so figured this was a good time as any to go ahead with upgrading things when both came up for sale with a warranty still available at that price.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with you speakers are a better bang for your buck. But I got both at less than half the MRSP as demo models, so could not pass it up. I replaced a Anthem 300 that I am going to use in the bedroom instead.

I wanted a new setup for the living room so figured this was a good time as any to go ahead with upgrading things when both came up for sale with a warranty still available at that price.
Just to clear my both points: a) while I am glad you've paid half of msrp, I don't know what msrp is so I asked you just that.
b) Lets be clear, Not just a "better" value, but more of 99% better value

S

sushster

Audiophyte
Hey, the reason I posted was to see what people's views on speakers for this system were. Not to discuss how much I paid for them. If you care that much, you can look up the MRSP and figure it out, I'm sure you can do the math ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You could've just said so instead you forced me to extra research, just to cover your exorbitant purchases with pretend modesty. I applaud you, but then again - I assume you're not from this side of the pond...

So Datasat LS10 preamp is msrp at 10k and RA7300 amp is 14.4k - both in UK pounds = in green bucks it's $15.5k and $22.3k = $37.8k and half of it is about $19k

For this money you got pretty neat 7 channel amp, who even If I had so much disposable income I'd probably get ATI AT3007, which likely the actual manufacturer of your amp anyhow and a more capable , modern and versatile Marantz AV7702 pre/pro

Oh and I am not going to tell you their prices - I'm sure you can find them online.

If you have not noticed - I do not care for "if you have to ask how much this costs......" attitude.

Back to your question: Its hard to make any recommendations without knowing what are looking to replace, budget, brands available, room size... in fact with your budget you probably should hire A/V consultant to deliver optimized solution for your space and needs. Help from strangers on forums should NOT be your sole deciding factor.

Edit: forgot to add NOT in last sentence.

Last edited:
S

sushster

Audiophyte
I'm actually right here from the USA buddy, and never asked for your feedback on the equipment I got. Post was to ask who had experience with this audio setup.

Trolls like you should get a life. I tried this site for the first time, will head on to another as I'd prefer not to waste my time with.

If your definition of research is typing "datasat ls10 price" into Google, you really should become a little more academically inclined buddy.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
sushster said:
I'm actually right here from the USA buddy, and never asked for your feedback on the equipment I got.
I'm wondering if anyone has the same preamp and amp, or experience with datasat equipment that can provide some suggestions, or insight....
Now you're just contradict yourself...

sushster said:
Trolls like you should get a life. I tried this site for the first time, will head on to another as I'd prefer not to waste my time with.
Yes, I am obviously a troll. Not you whom came here swinging his lavish and obscure purchase and asking for some vague questions.

I have been on this forums and site since 2007 and yet hear about this brand - Dataset even once before you came it. This easily tells that this equipment is a) very niche and b) by looks of IT - very british.
US office seems to take care of only sales - thus this is 99% UK company.

sushster said:
If your definition of research is typing "datasat ls10 price" into Google, you really should become a little more academically inclined buddy.
If you noticed the timestamp of my original (and pretty friendly) at 10:30pm post - at that hour after very long day of mostly intellectual work, the last thing I want to do extra google search to satisfy mild curiosity about some obscure product

S

sushster

Audiophyte
I'm still confused why you responded to this post. You don't know datasat, nor do you own their stuff. So like I said, I was no asking you for your opinion.

Interestingly you didn't address your ignorant comment that I'm from across the pond.

I was in no way "swinging" my lavish purchase. Maybe you're just a little bitter with how much, or I should say how little you make at your "long day of mostly intellectual work"

Here's a "research" project for you. Google "datasat" and "cnet" and you'll see a nice American review on their stuff. While your at it, Google "ATI founder" and "datasat" and you'll read about his help designing (not building) their amp and noting it to be the best on the market.

Perhaps trolling less and working on English comprehension would do you some good. I said less than 50%, I paid less than what the MRSP is for the ATI amp you listed.

Datasat is the largest supplier of pro cinema equipment, so you really don't know your stuff if you'd label them as an obscure company.

In the end, your comments are irrelevant and unsolicited as my questions did not pertain to you, as you have no knowledge of their equipment.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What is the budget for the speakers?

The general rule is put ~75% of your budget in the speakers, to get the best sound quality.

That is what BSA was getting at.......spend the $ on the speakers first, then get electronics that are suitable to drive the chosen speakers. Asking the MSRP is a fair question, that gives us a starting place to give you the $ that you should spend on speakers

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Datasat is the largest supplier of pro cinema equipment, so you really don't know your stuff if you'd label them as an obscure company.
Regardless of your opinion of me, my english comprehension, my attitude I find this comment is extremely unlikely.

Just for you I did research (google search) into this field and while I did encounter few new names and few ones I knew like QSC, Dobly, DTS, Bapco, Technicolor and Christie I failed to find even a single mention of Datasat.

In addition with only two international offices your claim for title of "largest supplier of pro cinema equipment" seems even less likely.

Some of URLs I used for my research:
http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/products.aspx?typeID=5
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema#List_of_digital_cinema_companies

Here's a "research" project for you. Google "datasat" and "cnet" and you'll see a nice American review on their stuff. While your at it, Google "ATI founder" and "datasat" and you'll read about his help designing (not building) their amp and noting it to be the best on the market.
Cnet is crock of crap. if you knew anything you would never refer to Cnet as reliable content provider.

I did another Google search and this is what I found, which confirms my educated guess regarding ATI - Guess what, - ATI is OEM manufacturer for Datasat - aka the latest is a mere overpriced branding. Just like Lexicon done re-branding of OPPO players.

WSR Reber: Before we go in that direction I want to come back to one other thing to close the loop. So we have Adcom and we have Crestron, but ATI has built numerous amplifiers for other OEM clients. What are some of those clients? Kessler: Well, some I can mention, some that I shouldn’t mention. The latest one, of course, is Datasat. We build their amplifiers.
Source:
http://www.ati-amp.com/WSR 185 Kessler Interview Part 1.pdf

Regarding: For for "less than 50% of the price" and my math/your writing skills (or math)

Datasat RA7300 amp msrp is as I had mentioned is $22.3k (half is $11k)
ATI 3007 is only $6k
http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers/ati-at3007-seven-channel-x-300-watt-amplifier-b-stock-120-v.html

To get RA7300 for less than AT3007 6k you'd need to buy RA7300 for about quarter of it's price, which though technically correct (less than half of the price) it is NOT commonly referred as such.
Thou your own comment is misleading.

Ref: While I am not native English speaker, I confirm my analysis of less than half of price with my colleague.

Aka item msrp is $1000. I tell someone I bought for less than half price. It is common to assume that I have paid much closer to $500 ($450 or so) rather than $100

And finally:
You can go back to under the bridge you've came from.
I am done here.

S

sushster

Audiophyte
BSA, your comments are ridiculous and I do hope you are "done here". Just for reference read up on who owns DTS.

Slipperybidness, fair enough but starting with how much did you pay, and then saying you made a terrible decision in the same post is inappropriate.

My general budget would be to keep it under 50k (can go over if need be). I paid just under 10k for the amp and preamp combo. Some of the speakers I've been looking at are:
Sonus Faber: Amatu Futura + Homage Vox or Olympica III + Olympica Center. Not sure of what surround speakers would go well with sonus faber.
Focal: Electra 1038 BE + Electra CC 1008 BE + Electra SR 1000 BE
BW: D3 802 + D3 HTM1. Not sure of what surround speakers go well with BW.

For subs, I've been reading up and like the: Rel G1, paradigm sub 1 or sub 2.

I'm open to other suggestions, but new in the topic and just learning about the different brands, and what to look for.

I'm hoping to setup a listening session at a local audio shop in the near future, and they suggested I come up with some speakers combos so I initially thought I'd try this site (before getting attacked for "overspending" on datasat stuff by BSA).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If I had your budget for audio I'd concentrate on two speaker vendors:
RBH and Salk Audio. Imho Salk SS-8 are best speakers I ever heard regardless of price (that includes B&W, Focal, Wilson)
Nuff said.

For subs: Funk Audio

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I've read a lot of good things about Datasat. Fancy stuff :)

If you're planning on having the speakers behind a screen, I'd strongly consider the likes of JTR or Danley or JBL pro.

For subwoofers I'd look at JTR, Seaton, Funk, and Deep Sea Sound.

Steven Maxwell

Steven Maxwell

Audiophyte
@sushster, I am running the Datasat LS10 with a Simaudio Moon MC8 amp and the speakers I am using are Genesis G5.3 front left and front right with matching center and rear surrounds. Additionally, I have two JL F113 subs. The result is astounding and absolutely magnificent.

Attachments

S

sushster

Audiophyte
Thanks that sounds like a great system. And the pic looks awesome!

Some places and the instructions for my amp talk about good ventilation for the amp.

I'm just asking as in trying to figure out if I should place my amp in my new counsel or get a separate stand.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks that sounds like a great system. And the pic looks awesome!

Some places and the instructions for my amp talk about good ventilation for the amp.

I'm just asking as in trying to figure out if I should place my amp in my new counsel or get a separate stand.
The general rule is that if you can touch your amp and leave your hand on it indefinitely, then you are good. If you touch your amp and have to remove your hand due to heat, then you need to work on moving the heat away from the amp.

S

SHISHU

Audiophyte
My recent purchase of LS10 CARY AUDIO 250.7.
SPEAKERS. ATC active speakers. L&R. ATC ASTL20. CENTRE+LS+RS. ATCa16.
ceiling sp EARTH QUAKE .IMAGE 6X comment on speaker compatability

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, what are your current speakers/subs? I'd skip Rel and Paradigm on the subs myself.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis