Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...she...was mayor in a small town of less than 5000 people and other than that she has NO political record at all.
She is currently the governor of Alaska.

I'm not arguing for or against her. Just wanted to give that info.

Last edited:
itschris

itschris

Ok Chris you are right I didn't spend 2 hours researching her story. My conclusion is she is a glorified soccer mom with 5 kids who was mayor in a small town of less than 5000 people and other than that she has NO political record at all. I am not even going to consider JM's choice for VP as his campaign is now going to pull out all the stops I am sure. If the people didn't want Hillary why the h#$% are they going to vote for a woman who has 1/100th of the experience of her. It doesn't make sense to me. The fact that you are even bringing up the "black" issue is enough to make me amazed at your thinking........This is my last post on this subject because it turns people into political Anal-lists....sorry just my opinion....
Please don't ban me Mike.........:eek:

Chris Have YOU looked at Obama's career?
Yeah, I have... extensively. Politics are always a huge concern for any financial firm. The outlook of those in office can very dramatically affect the markets, taxes, and our governing bodies like FINRA. We develop models based on political impacts on likely scenarios such as tax increases and entitlements. So yeah, I have looked at Obama. To be honest, when it was initially between Hillary and Obama, I kinda liked Obama because he was so charismatic, but as time went on I began to realize (in my opinion, based on what's important to me) that there was little behind the fabulous speaches and media frenzy.

I bring up the "black thing" as you put it because as someone who genuinely wants to understand motivations and inspirations, I don't think it's out of bounds to ask questions. I don't think race should be a one way street. If you're going to capitalize on it and make it an issue, then I think it's okay to question it if you feel compelled to do so. I don't care that Obama's black 50% or 100%. I wanted to understand how black people felt. Why is that so absurd? Is that really taboo? I was asking for anyone to defend, I was asking to have it explained so that I could understand.

I don't care if you like Obama. There's a lot to like and depending what's important to you, he may very well and should be your guy. My value sets, my concerns, my needs just may differ with yours and that leads me down a different path. With these opinions, I don't think it's always got to be about who's right and who's wrong, but I think it can just be different. One doesn't have to be better than the other.

itschris

itschris

Sorry to get so Uptight at this subject but I am tired of people looking at the world with blinders on.......Last post on this just wanted to say sorry for getting so aggro on this....Back to Audio now....:D
There's nothing to be sorry about. What's wrong with passionate discussion. There's are huge issues taking place in the world right now. Russia, Iran, Iraq, & China. All huge issues that can change our country and how we live day to day literally overnight. Make no mistake, the next President of the US will be seated during four of the most pivotal years of our nation in some time.

There's a lot of people who think it "doesn't matter" they're all stupid, corrupt, whatever. To me that just shortsighted, maybe lazy and shows an incomplete understanding of how this all works.

So yeah, it's a big deal and if you care, like you seem to do, then you're going to be passionate about your feelings. There's nothing wrong with that and i respect that and have total respect for you and can have that even if disagree with you.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Soccer mom? No disrespect, but you don't know a lot about her career I guess. What qualifies Obama? Less then a year in congress?
The glass house syndrome, I see. Obviously you didn't bother to read up on Obama, especially how long he was in the US Senate. Or the Illinois state government. How about his education? Would that be important in such a position?
She was a hockey mom, or may still be it.:D And, she is hard right.
She is the one who is in the governor's seat for less than 2 years, right?

J

jamie2112

Banned
I feel like I have to wear Kid Gloves talking about certain subjects.....:D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
It was a mistake. McCain is buying into hype and polls which don't matter. The electoral college is what counts and Obama has an advantage already. Picking a woman thinking women will vote for him simply for that reason is naive. The magic of him picking a woman as a running mate will wear off next week. It may energize women to go the other way when you look at Palin's position on several key issues for women. Obama is depending on the electoral college to get him elected whereas McCain is hoping to capture more of an entire demographic, women. Both are valid strategies, but McCain's strategy spreads an entire demographic out over 50 states. I don't think it will help him win the election.

I figured a 95% white state like Iowa would never won't for a black man, but was taken off guard when Obama took the state. I wouldn't underestimate Americans progressiveness.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't underestimate Americans progressiveness.
What happened in Iowa happened with Democrats. That's a different type of American. I think a large portion of Edwards/Clinton supporters from middle America will go for McCain because he's white. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying it is. I would be stunned if Obama actually won.

On a lighter note, is McCain too old to be putting the move on the former beauty pagent contestant? :D

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
On a lighter note, is McCain too old to be putting the move on the former beauty pagent contestant? :D

(arguably NSFW)

Also - notice how many headlines and stories are about "McCain taps Palin..." for VP slot? I don't want to hear about McCain tapping her, OK?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
(arguably NSFW)
NSFW? Oh yeah, google right?

I loved the clip. I'd have shot some rep points to you for that but I'm fresh out. :)

Also -
( notice how many headlines and stories are about "McCain taps Palin..." for VP slot? I don't want to hear about McCain tapping her, OK?
Really?, I could actually go for some video on that.

Last edited:
Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Another thing I'd like to have a better understanding of. If there's any black members here, I'd like your opinion. I keep hearing he cold be the first black president. He's very much done a very artful job of leverging that he's black.

But isn't he also half white? Why isnt that ever mentioned or talked about. If you're part black, does that make you black? I often try to put myself in the shoes of others and I think if I were black, I'd be a bit insulted that he's leveraged himself on that... as if he'd be riding on my back as a black man to take advantage. I think his upbringing bears little resemblence to the struggle that many black people his age had faced. If he was 25% black, would he still be black, would he still be the first black president if elected?

I just find it odd that he has foresaken his "white side" in a seemingly transparent effort to say "I'm one of you" and gain the support of the black population.

I'm really hoping to get some feedback on this, because I really want to understand this issue. Like I said, I try to put myself in other people's shoes, but I won't fool myself and pretend I have a true perspective.

If you sit down and think about race shouldnt even be anything anybody would contemplate as being a factor in an election for a countries president. But then again, in a perfect world war would be unnecessary and the thought of having enough nuclear weapons to destroy the entire planet a few times over would seem as pure insanity.

But guess what? It is and we do.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Was that a clip of Bill Maher campaigning for Obama or was he trying to be funny. Sounded like more of the former and less of the latter. I don't think he's funny at all.

Seriously, I find it odd that people are so willing to belittle the executive experience of Palin, yet are willing to accept Obama's 143 working days in the Senate as experience enough to become president. By all accounts, Palin is equally if not more experienced to qualify as president as Obama. That's all well and good, but Obama isn't running against Palin for president. He's running against McCain whose experience far outstrips Obama by any measurable standard.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I find it odd that people are so willing to belittle the executive experience of Palin, yet are willing to accept Obama's 143 working days in the Senate as experience enough to become president.
The 143 number is from when he formed an exploratory committee, about 2 years ago. I haven't verified that number, but that's when it was first brought up. I assume it refers to days the Senate was in session, which is certainly NOT the same thing as a "working day", unless you think senators only work while in the Senate chamber.

It's now morphed into that's all the experience he has now, which is decidedly wrong.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Another thing I'd like to have a better understanding of. If there's any black members here, I'd like your opinion. I keep hearing he cold be the first black president. He's very much done a very artful job of leverging that he's black.

But isn't he also half white? Why isnt that ever mentioned or talked about. If you're part black, does that make you black? I often try to put myself in the shoes of others and I think if I were black, I'd be a bit insulted that he's leveraged himself on that... as if he'd be riding on my back as a black man to take advantage. I think his upbringing bears little resemblence to the struggle that many black people his age had faced. If he was 25% black, would he still be black, would he still be the first black president if elected?

I just find it odd that he has foresaken his "white side" in a seemingly transparent effort to say "I'm one of you" and gain the support of the black population.

I'm really hoping to get some feedback on this, because I really want to understand this issue. Like I said, I try to put myself in other people's shoes, but I won't fool myself and pretend I have a true perspective.
All right, as someone that is also half black and half white, I have to comment on this. I also consider myself black. I hate it when people tell me I am forsaking my white half. Far from it. I was raised by my mother who was white. My dad ran out on her when I was a baby. But my skin is brown, so I look nothing like a white person. And I will tell you that I have had far fewer problems finding acceptance among blacks than I have among whites.

Unfortunately in America, it seems that if you have a drop of black in you, you're black.

An 8-page political thread without getting locked and no real insults, not bad.

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The 143 number is from when he formed an exploratory committee, about 2 years ago. I haven't verified that number, but that's when it was first brought up. I assume it refers to days the Senate was in session, which is certainly NOT the same thing as a "working day", unless you think senators only work while in the Senate chamber.

It's now morphed into that's all the experience he has now, which is decidedly wrong.
Are you willing to give Palin the same credit for the accomplishments of her career, or is she still just a Soccer Mom.

(referring to the Maher comments, not anything you've said. Just trying to make the general point.)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you willing to give Palin the same credit for the accomplishments of her career
I don't know about Palin's other accomplishments but there is no way Obama can touch her mad PB&J making skills. Crunchy with the crust cut off ... :D

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
Two questions...

1. Considering the VP is a heartbeat away from the presidency, who would you feel more comfortable with as president in terms of overall experience, especially in foreign policy, Palin or Biden?

2. Is anyone besides me deeply disturbed that Palin supports having Intelligent Design, i.e. Creationism, taught along side Evolution in our public schools, as if it were a legitimate scientific alternative? Think what you will about I.D's validity, it is NOT science.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
First I thought McCain had a stroke of genius. Good looking woman as a running mate after Hillary's near win with 18 million votes during the primaries.

I even thought of the very interesting series "Commander-in-Chief" on one of the Networks which had a woman as President...

But,

in another Forum, I was able to compliment an Alaskan resident and his response was:

I'm not a Palin fan. She doesn't believe in evolution, wants creationism taught in schools, and just last week helped defeat a clean water ballot initiative that I was strongly for. Her predecessor weakened Alaska's clean water laws. Ballot measure 4 would have prevented the proposed Pebble Mine (a project of gigantic proportions) from polluting the biggest salmon producing watershed in the world. She was required, by law, to remain neutral on the issue, but broke the law and took the side of foreign mining companies that have a horrible track record of pollution. I REALLY REALLY don't like her.
And this reminded me of a statement she made in her nomination speech about Oil;

she wants to see the Alaskan pipeline built, she wants drilling done in Alaska Reserve territories. This is not a person who will support alternatives to oil to power industries, electricity and cars and therefore will not be a strong advocate for policies to reduce gas emissions and slow down climate change. On the other hand, the Obama team has a 10 year plan.

She could be a good debater and dare Biden in a VP debate. But, if ever McCain is elected then goes away tragically, Palin's Extreme conservatism could cause pain to everyone in America and elsewhere.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
But, if ever McCain is elected then goes away tragically, Palin's Extreme conservatism could cause pain to everyone in America and elsewhere.
and what about the extreme "liberalism":p IMO Her political views are in line with the majority of the republican party. The point that dave keeps making is true, and fact..she is the only one in the race with executive experience. I am sure Obama's poltical record is less than stellar(including his voting record) and yet he has made it this far on strong speaking skills, media backing, and promise. This election may very well be by far the worst in my lifetime, and yes i was around for 76.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis