D&M just blurred the line again, should they go much further?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Audiosciencereview.com reviewed the RX-A1080, the thing would shut down even with single tone (1,000 Hz) with pre out outputting at not much higher than 1.5 V, so no better than the RX-A860 that Gene measured last year. The amp measured better than both the Anthem MRX 520 and NAD T758 V3, but the MRX pre out performed much better.
It is like Yamaha has a death wish!
So much going for them, but they just seem to need to sabotage themselves and make sure that the end product represents a disappointing level of mediocrity!
Yamaha is the individual going its own way and so many of their decisions (like fully certifying their HDMI interface) are outstanding, but they seem to have a streak of stubborness about not admitting/correcting their past mistakes.
Just frustrated!
I'm glad they implement a better design philosophy for their musical instruments!

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
So much going for them, but they just seem to need to sabotage themselves and make sure that the end product represents a disappointing level of mediocrity!
Yamaha is the individual going its own way and so many of their decisions (like fully certifying their HDMI interface) are outstanding, but they seem to have a streak of stubborness about not admitting/correcting their past mistakes.
Just frustrated!
I'm glad they implement a better design philosophy for their musical instruments!
It checks all the boxes and it is protected 8-ways from Sunday from overload and therefore repair or complaint.
There are more requirements, but down the list is performance. I had a Yamaha RX-A820 and is was OK but only sounded good in Pure Direct mode with the Oppo analog outs. Perhaps, when measured the 5'th foot was not making good contact ;)

- Rich

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It checks all the boxes and it is protected 8-ways from Sunday from overload and therefore repair or complaint.
There are more requirements, but down the list is performance. I had a Yamaha RX-A820 and is was OK but only sounded good in Pure Direct mode with the Oppo analog outs. Perhaps, when measured the 5'th foot was not making good contact ;)

- Rich
I assume you are aware of the AH review of the 860:
I love all of the streaming features the Yamaha RX-A860 offers. In fact, I'd say as far as networking and streaming audio goes, this is likely the best option in AV receivers under $1k. However, I don't like how offering all of these features has caused compromises in the most important area, POWER. While the RX-A860 is fine driving small bass-managed 8 ohm speakers, this is the first time I'd actually caution people against using 4 ohm speakers or even running 8 ohm tower speakers on the “large” setting. I’ve never said this about a Yamaha before. It's sad that a $400 predecessor from the very same company offered a more robust amp and power section than this product, which has AVENTAGE moniker stamped on it. To pour further salt on the power wound, the preamp out section of this receiver is a bit weak, making it critical to match with a high gain amplifier to ensure the preamp itself doesn't clip while driving external amplification. I'd like to see Yamaha beef up the amp section so the current limiting could be a little less restrictive and for God's sake, please give us a clean 2Vrms output from the pre-outs of ALL your AV receivers!
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-a860/conclusion

I am used to the idea that you have to bypass the 4 Ohm switch to get good performance with 4 Ohn speakers, but I gather that the 860 just can't muster what it takes to drive a 4 ohm or even a full range 8 Ohm! And then having pre-outs that are picky as to which amp will work properly adds insult to injury! I always love seeing pre-outs, because I think it ensures I have an easy option if the internal amps are not able to drive some future set of speakers, but with Yamaha that is conditional. Isn't this something they can reasonably fix without much cost?

Not sure what you mean about the 5'th foot is that a reference to their chassis?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just frustrated!
RichB may be right about how well they are protected and that could be one of the reasons why they have better reliability track record.

If used with ext amps that have good sensitivity and rated 200 W or less, they should be fine too.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Iirr, Amir has a Denon in the queue too, hopefully it will be a x3500h. The little Denon integrated he tested wasn't too bad, rank higher on his SINAD based chart anyway.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
RichB may be right about how well they are protected and that could be one of the reasons why they have better reliability track record.
Don't they heat less too? If that's the case, it surely helps.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not sure what you mean about the 5'th foot is that a reference to their chassis?
Yamaha touts the dampening effect of the 5'th center foot. This is the Yamaha version of the Marantz copper chassis.

The AVENTAGE Advantage

Craftsmanship in engineering design. The AVENTAGE line of high-performance AV receivers is based on the audio design concept of providing a massive, full-bodied sound for movie sound effects and the accurate reproduction of music sources. By expertly harmonizing traditional and advanced technologies, every factor that affects sound quality, from materials and parts to construction, layout, vibration damping (unique foot) and “fine-tuning” the sound, is handled with no other thought than to achieve the best possible audio quality.
- RIch

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yamaha touts the dampening effect of the 5'th center foot. This is the Yamaha version of the Marantz copper chassis.

- RIch
Ahh, sarcasm!!!:)
Sorry I misinterpreted your point!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis