Crown XLS 1502 amp Impression

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Alright, I just got a Crown XLS 1502 amp from Amazon.

To level match with the ATI 3005 amp (using Galaxy digital SPL), the Crown front volume knobs need to be set 2 clicks down from Max volume (18 clicks from zero). There are 20 clicks total from zero to max. At 100% max volume (20 clicks), the Crown is 3dB louder than the ATI amp.

I will be listening to my music the next few days with the Crown amp. Will it sound as good as other audiophile amps?

I will see if the fans come on after 6 hours of continuous play.

Will also post a pic or two when I get a chance.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought you had some of those before and you sold them, no?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What sensitivity setting are you using? As for the fans, you wont hear them, if they even come on at all.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Great! You’ll like this amp. I have the XLS 2502 and I have never been disappointed. The fans have not come on for me yet. These amps represent excellent value per dollar!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
What speakers are you powering with this amp?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought you had some of those before and you sold them, no?
I had the 1st Gen XLS 2500 when I had 802D2.

I just wanted to check out these 2nd Gen.

They don’t sound any different. :D

But they do look better in black and you can turn off the lights and other things.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What sensitivity setting are you using? As for the fans, you wont hear them, if they even come on at all.
0.77v Sensitivity setting.

You’re 100% correct on the fans. After 6 hrs of continuous loud music play (I can hear music from every room :D), the amp case was as cool as the ambient temp and the fans never came on.

All amps should be like this in terms of cool-temp and light-weight (8 LBS).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Great! You’ll like this amp. I have the XLS 2502 and I have never been disappointed. The fans have not come on for me yet. These amps represent excellent value per dollar!
Excellent value and performance for sure!

These may look better than the silver 1st gen, but they still don’t look as pretty as audiophile-amps; even the EMO amps look better. :eek:

I guess prettier cases cost a lot of money.

I wish they would put these in $75 HTPC cases. Then they would look like audiophile amps. :D

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

These may look better than the silver 1st gen, but they still don’t look as pretty as audiophile-amps, even the EMO amps look better. :eek:

I wish they would put these in $75 HTPC cases. Then they would look like audiophile amps. :D
I think they look great all stacked up in a MIddle Atlantic racks :) picture 3 mounted, then AVP, then 2 on top... sexy

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
0.77v Sensitivity setting.

You’re 100% correct on the fans. After 6 hrs of continuous loud music play (I can hear music from every room :D), the amp case was as cool as the ambient temp and the fans never came on.

All amps should be like this in terms of cool-temp and light-weight (8 LBS).
That may be the trend in terms of efficiency/watt/lb, Crown Audio XLS digital class D > Lyngdorf's 100% (claimed) digital > QSC DCA or Emotiva Gen3 SMPS+class AB+H rail tracking > Benchmark AHB1 SMPS+class AB > ATI's class AB > Passlab's class A/AB..etc. I have no idea why Lyngforf TDAI-2107 is so much heavier than Crown's class D, when both are very digital, it could be the heat sinks because the Lyngdorf is most likely fanless.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

These may look better than the silver 1st gen, but they still don’t look as pretty as audiophile-amps, even the EMO amps look better. :eek:

I will admit the front end grill is reminiscent of a late 50's style detroit car. :)

It's meant to be a complement by the way. Your Crown amp is a wonderful amp.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I think the fans are active more often, just not necessarily audible...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think I've ever heard my 1st gen XLS 1500 fans. Granted it's job is driving subs. One channel at 4 ohms, the other at 2 ohms. Doesn't even get warm.

I do agree that the black looks much better. Mine sticks out in my pile of black gear.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Alright, I just got a Crown XLS 1502 amp from Amazon.

To level match with the ATI 3005 amp (using Galaxy digital SPL), the Crown front volume knobs need to be set 2 clicks down from Max volume (18 clicks from zero). There are 20 clicks total from zero to max. At 100% max volume (20 clicks), the Crown is 3dB louder than the ATI amp.

I will be listening to my music the next few days with the Crown amp. Will it sound as good as other audiophile amps?

I will see if the fans come on after 6 hours of continuous play.

Will also post a pic or two when I get a chance.
I'd love to hear your impressions. I have no experience with Crown stuff, but, it seems to me like they have the whole power thing figured out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I think the fans are active more often, just not necessarily audible...
Oh, I think you’re correct.

I just shined a flashlight onto the fan in the back and it was spinning, but so silent I couldn’t hear the sound.

The amp temp is very cool still. Not warm at all.

Then after about 30 seconds of shining the light, the fan stopped.

So the fan may be spinning more often than I thought. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis