Crown amp utilizing all its power?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I have a Crown XLS 2500 amp powering an 18" subwoofer. Since normal wall outlets cant deliver more than about 1,700 watts are the other 800 watts obsolete? I have the amp to an outlet that is only being used by this amp. Why spend the extra money for the 2500 when you can get the 1500 for so much cheaper?

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
It's a Class D amp, so it's fair to say that it can't sustain any more than 1600W of total output power with zero overhead. (Assuming an amplifier power efficiency of 90%, available electrical supply of 120V, 15A). It might be able to briefly exceed this level, given enough onboard power storage (I.e. capacitors).

But this is all theoretical. The owner's manual doesn't actually say how much current the amp draws. 90% efficiency is quite high, and the amp might not be this efficient. This makes it impossible to say, with any degree of certainty, what the amp might be capable of sustaining.

Now people are going to jump on me here, but Crown does say that this amp is specifically for PA systems. I think that some might assume that this includes the broadcast of music. The manual doesn't say anything that I could find to resolve this ambiguity.

Obviously, a person talking and a band playing music are going to be quite different in terms of demand... and this will mean much different load being placed on the amp. Not to mention that you plan to use this to power a narrow band driver (sub).

Lots of unknowns, potential divergence in designed use vs. actual use, and being used in a very specific portion of the audible range.

Your guess is as good as mine. My advice is to call Crown and discuss your intended use and see what they have to say...

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's a Class D amp, so it's fair to say that it can't sustain any more than 1600W of total output power with zero overhead. (Assuming an amplifier power efficiency of 90%, available electrical supply of 120V, 15A). It might be able to briefly exceed this level, given enough onboard power storage (I.e. capacitors).

But this is all theoretical. The owner's manual doesn't actually say how much current the amp draws. 90% efficiency is quite high, and the amp might not be this efficient. This makes it impossible to say, with any degree of certainty, what the amp might be capable of sustaining.

Now people are going to jump on me here, but Crown does say that this amp is specifically for PA systems. I think that some might assume that this includes the broadcast of music. The manual doesn't say anything that I could find to resolve this ambiguity.

Obviously, a person talking and a band playing music are going to be quite different in terms of demand... and this will mean much different load being placed on the amp. Not to mention that you plan to use this to power a narrow band driver (sub).

Lots of unknowns, potential divergence in designed use vs. actual use, and being used in a very specific portion of the audible range.

Your guess is as good as mine. My advice is to call Crown and discuss your intended use and see what they have to say...
Where on earth did you get the idea they are for voice only PA systems?

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Where on earth did you get the idea they are for voice only PA systems?
The owner's manual, available on the Crown web site, says that the amp is recommended for Public Address use. This may include music (I didn't say it didn't) or may not. It's an ambiguous term.

Look, I get the fact that people use these things for home audio when they're actually designed for other purposes. That's why I suggest the OP contact Crown and not rely on common use as his sole guide.

Fair enough, or are we going to start having a debate on why it's rated by the manufacturer for PA use? Or how this might apply for use that the manufacturer, by its omission in the owner's manual, did not specify?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The owner's manual, available on the Crown web site, says that the amp is recommended for Public Address use. This may include music (I didn't say it didn't) or may not. It's an ambiguous term.

Look, I get the fact that people use these things for home audio when they're actually designed for other purposes. That's why I suggest the OP contact Crown and not rely on common use as his sole guide.

Fair enough, or are we going to start having a debate on why it's rated by the manufacturer for PA use? Or how this might apply for use that the manufacturer, by its omission in the owner's manual, did not specify?
I have four of them, they are not just for voice PA, music is definitely a use. Just that your post sounds like typical amp silliness from an "audiophile".

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
PA usage is a lot more demanding than having an amp sitting in a dedicated rack in a climate controlled home.

There may be some confusion as to what Class D means, or how you are reducing the demands placed on the amp by only feeding it an LFE channel, as opposed to a full range signal. Additionally, the rated output is load dependent, so the specs of any speaker/sub connected must be added to the equation to understand estimated output in watts.

@cameron paterson may be thinking along the right lines that he bought a bit too much amplifier - that depends on what subwoofer it is powering, and how many others are in the room as well. In multi sub configurations, huge power handling is mostly wasted in the home. As you add subs, the others get turned down to compensate, but you gain a smoother bass response across more seats. Simply put, when it comes to bass in small rooms (small relative to wavelength) EVERYTHING matters!

V

Vacas

Audioholic Intern
PA usage is a lot more demanding than having an amp sitting in a dedicated rack in a climate controlled home.
Do ya mean PAs (Pro amps) are better than consumer amps when its comes to deliver more power? are they better in stability and performance in FLAT signal?

I have bought one crown cts 600 to power a 450wrms front speaker (HT) but lill shaky to try it.. if it should work or how it work ... a new experience might be.. :rolleyes:!!

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
IIRC he has a ported TC sounds. I think we discussed in a old thread with TLS . Something wasnt right with the alignment. Also could have sworn he had dayton sub amp.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
I have four of them, they are not just for voice PA, music is definitely a use. Just that your post sounds like typical amp silliness from an "audiophile".
What do you use them for (betcha it's not for PA use)? :D

I guess this means you're not in favor of the OP calling Crown, in case they say something that goes against your belief system...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

PA use means any signal needing to be made louder- PS no longer fits the decades old definition and if they only designed these for speaking, the frequency response wouldn't need to show as 20Hz-20KHz.

These also have a sensitivity switch that is set for pro/commercial or consumer use- it's not a one trick pony. When big power is needed, it's available, wherever it's needed. If that's in a residential installation, so be it as long as every detail has been handled.

Why is it rated for PA use? Because that's Crown's primary market.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Do ya mean PAs (Pro amps) are better than consumer amps when its comes to deliver more power? are they better in stability and performance in FLAT signal?

I have bought one crown cts 600 to power a 450wrms front speaker (HT) but lill shaky to try it.. if it should work or how it work ... a new experience might be.. :rolleyes:!!
PA stands for 'Public Address'.

You should be OK, as long as you watch the power level. If you don't need to crank it all the way, just make sure you aren't exceeding the speakers' power handling.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja

It is a more demanding environment to be getting trucked around and reinstalled for every performance - if anything that is a mark for its reliability.

As there was concerns about its intended application, or its ability to output full rated power, I would say that because it is designed to be a workhorse, I do not feel that either of those matters should be a concern for Cameron.

As for your amp and speakers, and assuming you are listening in a home theater environment, you will likely be in pain or just well above the hearing-damage threshold before you will damage your speakers!

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
It is a more demanding environment to be getting trucked around and reinstalled for every performance - if anything that is a mark for its reliability.

As there was concerns about its intended application, or its ability to output full rated power, I would say that because it is designed to be a workhorse, I do not feel that either of those matters should be a concern for Cameron.
It's also an environment with much higher ambient noise, which is more forgiving than a quiet home space.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It's also an environment with much higher ambient noise, which is more forgiving than a quiet home space.
Exactly. Which is why this kind of power suits PA audio, first and foremost. There are not many home theater applications where these mostly 2ch Crown amps would even be a cost effective solution when needed for surround sound. But I too will be tapping this brand for subwoofer duty - only with an XTi 1002 for each pair of SEAS L26ROY.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I had a dayton amp. I have had a Crown for my sub for about a year. And a Crown 1500 to power 4 midbass modules.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
just my two cents but I have a crown xli3500, 1000 watt/channel driving two 18" turbo sound woofers and there is no question when you over draw the outlet it trips the breaker.

V

Vacas

Audioholic Intern
Exactly. Which is why this kind of power suits PA audio, first and foremost. There are not many home theater applications where these mostly 2ch Crown amps would even be a cost effective solution when needed for surround sound. But I too will be tapping this brand for subwoofer duty - only with an XTi 1002 for each pair of SEAS L26ROY.
Well thanks for the help. I spent 160$ on this without having an opinion and this what i have learnt today to discuss intended purchase here first with u guys before spend.:(
I hope cameron gets his answer too.. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do you use them for (betcha it's not for PA use)? :D

I guess this means you're not in favor of the OP calling Crown, in case they say something that goes against your belief system...
No PA use, used them (1500s in my case) on mains and subs in various setups. I have communicated with Crown before, they might be helpful. Belief system, you're funny.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yet in a quiet home space these XLS drivecore amps do quite well. Fans are non-intrusive and generally they are not an issue for extraneous noises outside of ground loops and some hiss with high sensitivity speakers. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, and apparently not yours.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis