Crossover setting on subwoofer

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Hello, if one is using the (LFE) in on there sub, where should the crossover on the (back) of the sub be set? so it doesn't conflict with the receiver ? Thank you

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
As
Hello, if one is using the (LFE) in on there sub, where should the crossover on the (back) of the sub be set? so it doesn't conflict with the receiver ? Thank you
As high as it can go, just to be safe.
If it's an actual crossover, then using the RCA input will most likely bypass it anyway. But if it's actually a LPF (Low Pass Filter) it should also be as high as the mfg has specified that the speaker can play clean, which will be the max on the dial.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
It's two Klipsch R-115sw. I'm using the LFE. Klipsch said set to 80hz same as receiver. That didn't sound right. Thanks. Even in the manual it says turn to the max setting.

Last edited:
BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
It's two Klipsch R-115sw. I'm using the LFE. Klipsch said set to 80hz same as receiver. That didn't sound right. Thanks. Even in the manual it says turn to the max setting.
I think the confusion is in the terminology and what the dial is actually for, just for your reference and understanding:
(In most cases)
If a sub has a single LFE/RCA input and a single dial or switch it's for a LPF (Low Pass Filter) which in essence tells the Sub the upper frequency limit it should play. (Think of it as Low "can" Pass)
While a sub with multiple RCA or speaker level (wire) inputs and outputs, wil have an actual crossover in case the source you have (your receiver) doesn't have one. For example a 2.1 or 2.2 setup from a 2 channel only source And as I mentioned, normally if you are sending a single low level RCA signal, the Sub just assumes that it's an LFE signal that has already been crossed over so if it has an actual crossover it just bypasses it, and the dial does nothing, but why chance it.... this bypass feature is also why a sub with multiple inputs will normally have a dedicated input marked LFE.

Last edited:
JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Thanks. I just noticed on the back of my sub, my crossover volume Has a LFE setting as well LOL. Thanks again

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While a sub with multiple RCA or speaker level (wire) inputs and outputs, wil have an actual crossover in case the source you have (your receiver) doesn't have one.
While such a sub may sum a stereo signal, doesn't necessarily indicate it has a crossover (both a low pass and high pass filter together in the sub).

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
First off, you don't mention what you are using for an amp. Is it a surround amp/receiver or are you playing your stuff in 2ch stereo using a 2ch amp? If you are using a 2ch amp/receiver then use the subs LF crossover and set it to 80hz. If you are using a Surround receiver that has internal LFE crossover ability then set the sub to it's maximum crossover setting and let the receiver do the sub crossover to 80hz.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. I just noticed on the back of my sub, my crossover volume Has a LFE setting as well LOL. Thanks again
The LFE setting on the sub means that the low pass filter isn't engaged at all. The LFE setting on whatever receiver you're using (if you are using one) is for movie sound tracks only and is a separate track that is subwoofer only. You should set this all the way up which is usually 250Hz.

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
The LFE setting on the sub means that the low pass filter isn't engaged at all. The LFE setting on whatever receiver you're using (if you are using one) is for movie sound tracks only and is a separate track that is subwoofer only. You should set this all the way up which is usually 250Hz.
I disagree with this! If you have a multi channel amp/receiver and 'tell' it that you have a sub and crossover that sub, it will play EVERYTHING in the 'small' setting, including 2.1 channel stereo. In other words, It will play 2ch stereo in small and send everything below the LFE setting (ie...80hz) to the sub. LFE is NOT for movie soundtracks alone but rather, is where you want your AVR to send lower bass frequencies regardless of what's being played. That's a fact.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I disagree with this! If you have a multi channel amp/receiver and 'tell' it that you have a sub and crossover that sub, it will play EVERYTHING in the 'small' setting, including 2.1 channel stereo. In other words, It will play 2ch stereo in small and send everything below the LFE setting (ie...80hz) to the sub. LFE is NOT for movie soundtracks alone but rather, is where you want your AVR to send lower bass frequencies regardless of what's being played. That's a fact.
You are mixing up LFE and the content that is crossed over or don't know the difference. ;) That's a fact.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
LFE is from dolby in home systems, and is carried via the subwoofer channel in home recievers/pre-pros and is different than the full range subwoofer signal with bass management applied

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
It's a Yamaha RX-Z9 surround receiver . And yes I have the crossover setting turned all the way up on the sub. There is actually a LFE setting on my crossover dial. And sub out of Z9 to LFE in on sub is how I have it connected

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LFE itself is just the .1 channel in recordings that have such (can be used in multi-ch music, too). Not all receivers use the sub in stereo mode. Bass management and LFE are intertwined, but not the same.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
LFE itself is just the .1 channel in recordings that have such (can be used in multi-ch music, too). Not all receivers use the sub in stereo mode. Bass management and LFE are intertwined, but not the same.
I have yet to see any music source that makes use of the LFE channel. I could be mistaken, but I don't think so.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have yet to see any music source that makes use of the LFE channel. I could be mistaken, but I don't think so.
Even the European DTS concerts don't have a dedicated LFE. It's a highly misunderstood spec.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
They do exist, in fact I have 5.1 music in both SACD and DVDA.
Yes, agreed but virtually no audio recordings. Do you have examples for SACD, I'd like to purchase, even the Dead Can Dance discs I have don't seem to have the additional LFE spec

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just popped in my Steven Wilson Hand.Cannot.Erase with all speakers set to large and I still have content in the subs....pretty sure he uses it on all his multi-ch mixes.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, agreed but virtually no audio recordings. Do you have examples for SACD, I'd like to purchase, even the Dead Can Dance discs I have don't seem to have the additional LFE spec
I am talking about music, so yes to me they are audio recordings, not music videos.

Below are examples of two that has the .1 channel.

SACD - http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7788-norah-jones-come-away-with-me-sacd-51.aspx

DVDA - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Globe-Sessions-AUDIO-Surround-Sound/dp/B00005A8G6

I own most classical music in SACD, DVDA and digital downloads, if you are interested in them you can find them but probably not too many choices.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I am talking about music, so yes to me they are audio recordings, not music videos.

Below are examples of two that has the .1 channel.

SACD - http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7788-norah-jones-come-away-with-me-sacd-51.aspx

DVDA - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Globe-Sessions-AUDIO-Surround-Sound/dp/B00005A8G6

I own most classical music in SACD, DVDA and digital downloads, if you are interested in them you can find them but probably not too many choices.
Thanks so much, Ill start looking again :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis