Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
In preparation for an upcoming medical procedure I was required to get a Covid test today. I made an early appointment for drive through testing at my medical providers office. I checked in promptly and was directed to get in line behind 5 other cars. The attendant asked for my medical card and driver’s license, upon verifying my info she put a placard on my windshield indicating where I should park. While using a walk-in talkie to communicate with a coworker she announced my name and parking designation. When announcing my name the nurse said, “ that’s M as in monkey.”

I could not make this stuff up.....so I want to check her, to see if she meant anything or she was just ignorant of the phonetic alphabet. But I have about 5 seconds to make up my mind, and I don’t want to cause a scene because I need this test. So I stand down, get the test done, go home call my insurance companies to lodge a complaint. The representative asked what I would like to see as a remedy and I told her minimally if they are going to use the phonetic alphabet make sure their employees know them. Also, if the employee was ignorant of the phonetic alphabet, how could you possibly think it ok to in any way refer to a black man as a monkey....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I just looked it up as memory is rusty from lack of use, I was right but noticed that one placard had Zuzu for Z not zulu

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

In preparation for an upcoming medical procedure I was required to get a Covid test today. I made an early appointment for drive through testing at my medical providers office. I checked in promptly and was directed to get in line behind 5 other cars. The attendant asked for my medical card and driver’s license, upon verifying my info she put a placard on my windshield indicating where I should park. While using a walk-in talkie to communicate with a coworker she announced my name and parking designation. When announcing my name the nurse said, “ that’s M as in monkey.”

I could not make this stuff up.....so I want to check her, to see if she meant anything or she was just ignorant of the phonetic alphabet. But I have about 5 seconds to make up my mind, and I don’t want to cause a scene because I need this test. So I stand down, get the test done, go home call my insurance companies to lodge a complaint. The representative asked what I would like to see as a remedy and I told her minimally if they are going to use the phonetic alphabet make sure their employees know them. Also, if the employee was ignorant of the phonetic alphabet, how could you possibly think it ok to in any way refer to a black man as a monkey....
That was really unfortunate. However, I doubt that happened with malicious intent.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I just looked it up as memory is rusty from lack of use, I was right but noticed that one placard had Zuzu for Z not zulu
The letter "Z" doesn't have to be confirmed by any means. ZEE or ZED are obvious, no? But a funny one is "P" as in psychiatrist.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
Most universal and in no way can be misunderstood - https://www.icao.int/Pages/AlphabetRadiotelephony.aspx

A - Alfa
B - Bravo
C - Charlie
D - Delta
E - Echo
F - Foxtrot
G - Golf
H - Hotel
I - India
J - Juliett
K - Kilo
L - Lima
M - Mike
N - November
O - Oscar
P - Papa
Q - Quebec
R - Romeo
S - Sierra
T - Tango
U - Uniform
V - Victor
W - Whiskey
X - X-ray
Y - Yankee
Z - Zulu

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Most universal and in no way can be misunderstood - https://www.icao.int/Pages/AlphabetRadiotelephony.aspx

A - Alfa
B - Bravo
C - Charlie
D - Delta
E - Echo
F - Foxtrot
G - Golf
H - Hotel
I - India
J - Juliett
K - Kilo
L - Lima
M - Mike
N - November
O - Oscar
P - Papa
Q - Quebec
R - Romeo
S - Sierra
T - Tango
U - Uniform
V - Victor
W - Whiskey
X - X-ray
Y - Yankee
Z - Zulu
Yep, that is what the military uses.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
again, my initial assessment was not that it was malicious,

but...if I come down with Covid I know they gave me the “monkey swab!”

for those of you that are inclined, are the people most impacted by the virus receiving the vaccine in like proportion ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That was really unfortunate. However, I doubt that happened with malicious intent.
While I agree that the absolute likelihood of malicious intent may not have been meant by the person in question... or not...

This is the dark side of institutional racism.
Why do some white folk cross the street when they see a black man walking down their side of the sidewalk? Why did my parents tell me to lock the car door when we drove into North St. Louis where the Symphony Hall is? ("Our own little Beirut" as I've heard it called a few times).

It's our subtle programming as white folk, or even non-blacks. I know a few too many Mexicans that make some of the average white racists I've known look like freakin' angels! :rolleyes:

Anyway.

Point is, it's not the meaning behind it. It's that it is all too common of an occurrence for half the population. And it's not just a momentary slight, rather a lifelong assault.
My Wife, her Brother... their Father... They've all experienced it.

I walked away from my racist friends when I left high school and spent a good long time trying to undue that systemic, subconscious damage done to me growing up in white bread suburbia. And the unique thing was my high school was tipping from majority white to majority black while I was there. This made the programming much more subversive and insidious!
I was guilty of going along with it for too long. Hell, even one year is too long to be "OK".

I'd like to think I'm better now, some 29 years later.

To be fair... there are many other words than "monkey" to clarify "M" over a radio.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

for those of you that are inclined, are the people most impacted by the virus receiving the vaccine in like proportion ?
If it wasn't malicious, it was certainly insensitive. If your roles had been reversed and her name started with "H", what might her reaction be if you had said "H as in honk"? Family trees don't come much whiter than mine and such phrasing would never have entered my head, much less left my mouth. I think you are completely justified in complaining.

B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
Can't fix stupid

In response to your question, in San Antonio texas it seems as though the hospitals have most of the vaccine. They are giving it to their workers AND patients/65+ that have a relationship with a Primary care doctor at the hospital. So you can be a doctor, but not at the right hospital and have problems getting the vaccine. Don't think hospitals are set up for mass distribution, even if there was plenty of supply, which there isn't . San Antonio has supplied a couple of clinics that serve " the less affluent" as well as the alamo dome but again a real lack of supply. Think everyone doing the best they can given the situation.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Also, if the employee was ignorant of the phonetic alphabet, how could you possibly think it ok to in any way refer to a black man as a monkey....
I have to ask how old do you think she was? I'm old enough to remember hearing Howard Costelle use that term and there in lies my observation. It could be a term that's not in use with younger folk and they just don't know. At least that's my guess. I'm surprised with all the dot the i's and cross the t's in the medial profession the phonetic alphabet isn't taught. But she may have only been a nurses assistant or other.

Heck, I didn't know that the phrase 'No can do' is racist.

Last edited:
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I have to ask how old do you think she was? I'm old enough to remember hearing Howard Costelle use that term and there in lies my observation. It could be a term that's not in use with younger folk and they just don't know. At least that's my guess. I'm surprised with all the dot the i's and cross the t's in the medial profession the phonetic alphabet isn't taught. But she may have only been a nurses assistant or other.

Heck, I didn't know that the phrase 'No can do' is racist.
You mean Hall & Oates, I can’t go for that, is a racist song! One of my favorites. When I hear, no can do, that’s what I think of.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You mean Hall & Oates, I can’t go for that, is a racist song! One of my favorites. When I hear, no can do, that’s what I think of.
It doesn't matter what you think if there is a group of people that it's a slight against though...

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Depe
It doesn't matter what you think if there is a group of people that it's a slight against though...
Depends on the group and who speaks for the group. I know I represent the views of all Black people in America. All of them! Much in the same way Donald Trump is the official spokesperson of all White people in America!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Depe

Depends on the group and who speaks for the group. I know I represent the views of all Black people in America. All of them! Much in the same way Donald Trump is the official spokesperson of all White people in America!
Glad we can all see reason :)

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I always use "M as in Mary.". That's 100% effective. Who dafuq comes up with " monkey?"

I could even see "money" since that's a word everyone can relate to!

highfigh

highfigh

Your first assessment, but what was your first reaction?

That kind of use of the word may not be overtly racist, but I would bet they heard it in the past. That was a pretty thoughtless way to convey the letter- many other better words that don't sound like any others could have been used.

WRT your last question, I haven't seen consistent info that shows who's impacted most- one report shows that it's old people, another shows that it's 25-49 year olds, another shows it's mostly middle-aged with underlying conditions. Racially, the reports seem to be glossing over who's had more cases/100,000 people- In Wisconsin, Hispanic or LatinX, Multiple or other races (they don't specify) and American Indian (I can't believe they still use this) are hit hardest.

highfigh

highfigh

I always use "M as in Mary.". That's 100% effective. Who dafuq comes up with " monkey?"

I could even see "money" since that's a word everyone can relate to!
Marigold, Martin, Mistake.....all would be better choices.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis