highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Depe

Depends on the group and who speaks for the group. I know I represent the views of all Black people in America. All of them! Much in the same way Donald Trump is the official spokesperson of all White people in America!
I worked with an idiot who apparently thought his comment to a Black man was funny as we were closing for the day, but the otherwise-potential customer came back the following week on the next day the place was open, to justifiably complain and if the idiot had been working, we would have let the man do whatever he felt necessary because there was no reason for the comment. That time, it was far more blatant, but still inexcusable. We gave the idiot a huge chunk of crap about it and after he left, we discussed having him fired.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, my co-worker who is of South American decent informs me that LatinX is a term white liberals invented. He and his GF said they are 'Latino'. Period.
I'd never heard the phrase latinX....but there's already both latina and latino.....and especially for a language so infused with male vs female.....

highfigh

highfigh

BTW, my co-worker who is of South American decent informs me that LatinX is a term white liberals invented. He and his GF said they are 'Latino'. Period.
IMO, it's all for statistics and keeping people where someone wants them. If we all had antlers or horns in different numbers on our heads, someone would still try to put people into 'desirable' or 'undesirable' categories.

highfigh

highfigh

I'd never heard the phrase latinX....but there's already both latina and latino.....and especially for a language so infused with male vs female.....
Many languages have a masculine/feminine aspects to some words and it's not always Latin-based. Even Eastern-European languages use this. I'm sure someone wanted to condense the info, so the X may mean 'Whatever....'.

highfigh

highfigh

And that might be seen as a slap in the face if they refer to being 'Latin' to an Indigenous person because they wouldn't have been Latin unless the Spanish and Portuguese hadn't conquered/decimated them.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
LatinX - is broad term for people from all Spanish speaking Latin American countries. That's my understanding at least.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Many languages have a masculine/feminine aspects to some words and it's not always Latin-based. Even Eastern-European languages use this. I'm sure someone wanted to condense the info, so the X may mean 'Whatever....'.
No the X is to remove the patriarchal aspect. It's the same as Berkely California banning the word 'manhole' and other gendered pronouns. Latino was determined by some white liberal people to be 'oppressive' to Latinos and meant to 'free' them from this 'oppression'.

jinjuku

jinjuku

And that might be seen as a slap in the face if they refer to being 'Latin' to an Indigenous person because they wouldn't have been Latin unless the Spanish and Portuguese hadn't conquered/decimated them.
Actually my co-workers preference is one takes the time to ask where they are from. In his case Guyana. So this is most preferred. LatinX makes him role his eyes.

Same with my friend from Trinidad and another from Belize.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
No the X is to remove the patriarchal aspect. It's the same as Berkely California banning the word 'manhole' and other gendered pronouns. Latino was determined by some white liberal people to be 'oppressive' to Latinos and meant to 'free' them from this 'oppression'.
What about 'mancave' :oops:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe that's changed in Berkeley. But here in Louisville we don't have an influx of Californians (they are all going to Texas and Oregon).
So I can keep my 'safe space' when in my 'man cave', for now :D

highfigh

highfigh

"Yes, let's free them from the oppression in their own languages". They should tell the ancient Romans that it's sexist.

highfigh

highfigh

Maybe that's changed in Berkeley. But here in Louisville we don't have an influx of Californians (they are all going to Texas and Oregon).
And Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Missouri,.....

The problem is that they move to other places because they don't like what California has become and then, they do everything possible to make it like the place they left, often by being elected to local government.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
..... American Indian (I can't believe they still use this) are hit hardest.
I can't either. "Indian" hasn't been considered an acceptable term here for decades...unless you're from India, of course.

highfigh

highfigh

I can't either. "Indian" hasn't been considered an acceptable term here for decades...unless you're from India, of course.
EXACTLY!

And the Europeans said the natives were backward & ignorant.....that's some serious irony.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Manhole is an objectively funny name though.

I love that the people that get offended are usually not the group the supposed slight was meant for. Not one black person I know refers to themselves or anyone else as african american. I can just see my friend's eyes roll when someone says that to him.

My wife's family is mexican according to them. They don't care about being called Latino at all, but they don't use it.

And boy are we getting tons of Californians here. Tons.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis