M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
In lieu of reliable data concerning the omicron variant, here's some anecdotal, speculative, and unreliable (but somewhat interesting) information:

>>>Those who have already had other variants of coronavirus do not appear to be protected against Omicron but vaccines are still believed to protect against severe disease, according to top scientists from the global health body and South Africa's National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD).

"Previous infection used to protect against Delta but now with Omicron that doesn't seem to be the case," said Anne von Gottberg, microbiologist at NICD.
The full picture in South Africa will not become clear until "people get so sick that they need to go to hospital" which is generally "three, four weeks later," says Prof Salim Abdool Karim of the Africa Task Force for Coronavirus.

"But the feedback we're getting from the ground is that there's really no red flags - we're not seeing anything dramatically different, what we're seeing is what we are used to," he told the BBC's Newsday programme.<<<

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We have a case in Minnesota now. The guy got infected after a trip to New York. So there is community spread in New York and I would bet elsewhere.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
We have a case in Minnesota now. The guy got infected after a trip to New York. So there is community spread in New York and I would bet elsewhere.
Give a few more weeks it will be all over the major cities.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I don't doubt it:

>>>Multiple cases of omicron virus variant detected in NYC

NEW YORK (AP) — Multiple cases of the omicron coronavirus variant have been detected in New York, health officials said Thursday, including a man who attended an anime convention in Manhattan in late November and tested positive for the variant when he returned home to Minnesota.

In addition to the conventioneer who was vaccinated for COVID-19, government officials said tests showed five other people recently infected with the virus had the variant. They included a person in the city’s Long Island suburbs who had recently traveled to South Africa, residents of Brooklyn and Queens and another case possibly linked to travel. At least one person had received a dose of a COVID-19 vaccine but officials did not have details about the vaccination status of the four other cases.<<<

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Almost certainly.

The real piece of information we need, is how it affects unvaccinated people. As far as I can tell, all the cases have been breakthrough cases in vaccinated individuals.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Omicron variant of the virus that causes COVID-19 likely acquired at least one of its mutations by picking up a snippet of genetic material from another virus - possibly one that causes the common cold - present in the same infected cells, according to researchers.

This genetic sequence does not appear in any earlier versions of the coronavirus, called SARS-CoV-2, but is ubiquitous in many other viruses including those that cause the common cold, and also in the human genome, researchers said.

By inserting this particular snippet into itself, Omicron might be making itself look "more human," which would help it evade attack by the human immune system

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Today, I saw this article in NPR.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/05/1059828993/data-vaccine-misinformation-trump-counties-covid-death-rate
"Since May 2021, people living in counties that voted heavily for Donald Trump during the last presidential election have been nearly three times as likely to die from COVID-19 as those who live in areas that went for now-President Biden."
"NPR looked at deaths per 100,000 people in roughly 3,000 counties across the U.S. from May 2021, the point at which vaccinations widely became available. People living in counties that went 60% or higher for Trump in November 2020 had 2.7 times the death rates of those that went for Biden. Counties with an even higher share of the vote for Trump saw higher COVID-19 mortality rates."
Three graphs say it all:
The first shows the correlation in 3,000 counties between vaccinations and the % vote for Trump
1638759409789.png

The second shows the correlation between deaths due to Covid-19 and % vote for Trump
1638759671629.png

And the third breaks down which voters (GOP, Dem, or Independents) make up the the total of those who are not vaccinated:
1638759861259.png

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Today, I saw this article in NPR.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/05/1059828993/data-vaccine-misinformation-trump-counties-covid-death-rate

Three graphs say it all:
The first shows the correlation in 3,000 counties between vaccinations and the % vote for Trump
View attachment 52020

The second shows the correlation between deaths due to Covid-19 and % vote for Trump
View attachment 52021

And the third breaks down which voters (GOP, Dem, or Independents) make up the the total of those who are not vaccinated:
View attachment 52022
Well look at it this way. Lot less Republicans to vote against the democrats right? :D ;) As the queen song goes another one bites the dust. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Well look at it this way. Lot less Republicans to vote against the democrats right? :D ;) As the queen song goes another one bites the dust. :D
Hate to tell ya, but I lost two really good fellow democrats to covid. This virus has no party line.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here's the latest risk levels map from globalepidemics.org. It appears as if the red zone has started expanding and the lower edge is now moving back south. I don't think I've seen this pattern before. It does not look good to me.

1638798629893.png

Here's the map on November 8, 2021:
1638798760983.png

Here's the map on October 4, 2021:
1638798837479.png

And here's the map on August 19, 2021:
1638798943859.png

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hate to tell ya, but I lost two really good fellow democrats to covid. This virus has no party line.
The virus has no party line, but the GOP has a line against vaccination. They're paying a steep price for it.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My first reaction to "another one bites the dust" was to agree and laugh about it. But I can't because so many people have died.

It's also sad that the GOP has a plan for 'winning' future elections despite their loss of voters.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I know I wasn't being serious sometimes I just try to find a way to laugh at the sh$t show. Keeps me sane

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My first reaction to "another one bites the dust" was to agree and laugh about it. But I can't because so many people have died.

It's also sad that the GOP has a plan for 'winning' future elections despite their loss of voters.
That's what I was trying to do was get you to laugh. Keeps us sane. We do it in psych nursing all the time. Coping method my friend when your staring into the face of craziness

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's what I was trying to do was get you to laugh. Keeps us sane. We do it in psych nursing all the time. Coping method my friend when your staring into the face of craziness
I've always had a darker sense of humor, but I know that certain professions that see a lot more than most of us ever will have a truly dark sense of humor that I'll never get to.

Only high level of crazy I deal with is my kids. I'm outnumbered so there's that.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here's the latest risk levels map from globalepidemics.org. It appears as if the red zone has started expanding and the lower edge is now moving back south. I don't think I've seen this pattern before. It does not look good to me.

View attachment 52029

Here's the map on November 8, 2021:
View attachment 52030
Here are COVID case counts for several states that seem to have a recent double peak corresponding to the lower edge of the red zone in the risk maps moving north, then expanding south again:

Iowa:
1638813653195.png

Illinois:
1638813755039.png

Indiana:
1638813822031.png

Ohio:
1638813893375.png

East coast states seem to be experiencing a somewhat similar pattern. Massachusetts is one example:
1638815158845.png

Further south the pattern doesn't seem to be strongly present. Arkansas is one example:
1638814222009.png

Further south the pattern seems to disappear. For example, Louisiana is still low with no double peak:
1638814373067.png

Many states in the upper midwest seem to be mired in high, yet increasing case counts.

Here's Michigan:
1638814915982.png

Minnesota:
1638814994781.png

Unfortunately, this latest wave seems to be growing again rather than subsiding.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I've always had a darker sense of humor, but I know that certain professions that see a lot more than most of us ever will have a truly dark sense of humor that I'll never get to.

Only high level of crazy I deal with is my kids. I'm outnumbered so there's that.
On the subject of black humor, here's one:

"What does not kill me mutates and tries again."

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

You would not believe some of the wacked out conversations we have at the nurses station

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis