mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Let's hope this is the case.
However, not clear about this
none of them so far have admitted patients to surgeries.
Do covid patients need surgeries, generally speaking, beyond intubation?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
In hospitals out here they have to be admitted and isolated from other patients usually a unit is converted such as a surgical unit if needed. Maybe that's what she was talking about. Just saying they did not require admission

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I think she may using the word “surgery” as the British use it. In the USA, it translates to “doctor’s office”.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hmmmmm it says may cause it. Not for certain yet tho. It also said quit a few individuals had symptoms that were pre diabetic markers. The illness may bring it out or exacerbate the condition. Some of what the virus does to the pancreas and other areas was informative tho. And may help explain why people who are already diabetic struggle with Covid more than other groups do

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Two cases of omicron variant in Ottawa. They had just come from Nigeria.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I got my Chinese mind-control nanoparticle refueling yesterday, aka., my booster shot. Arm is a bit sore but otherwise I feel fine. Illinois is now open to anyone getting their booster shots, instead of just certain groups like immunocompromised. And not a moment too soon. Most sites are by appointment only, and slots are filling up fast, so I would encourage everyone to schedule their booster shot right now if they haven't already.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This is very limited "data" but it does suggest that vaccines are effective against omicron (assuming the cases the doctor has seen recently are due to omicron)(the article implies this is the case, but it doesn't actually say it).

>>>JOHANNESBURG — South African doctors say that the rapid increase in COVID-19 cases attributed to the new omicron variant cases is resulting in mostly mild symptoms.

Dr. Unben Pillay, a general practitioner in Gauteng province where 81% of the new cases have been reported, says he has seen a sharp increase in new COVID-19 cases in the past 10 days.

He said that so far the cases have been very mild cases, with patients having flu-like symptoms, dry coughs, fever, night sweats, a lot of body pains. He said most have been treated at home.

He also said that the vaccinated are faring much better than the unvaccinated.

The recent surge in South Africa has been among people in their 20s and 30s and doctors emphasize that COVID-19 symptoms are often mild in that age group.<<<

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Today Sweden got their first confirmed omicron case (Google translate below from Swedish):

>>>
A case of the virus variant omicron has been found in Sweden until 29 November at 16.00. The variant was detected in a sample taken a little more than a week ago from a person resident in Region Skåne. The person had recently returned from a stay in South Africa and the sample was sequenced in the framework of the ongoing national surveillance of SARS-CoV-2.
<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Today Sweden got their first confirmed omicron case (Google translate below from Swedish):

>>>
A case of the virus variant omicron has been found in Sweden until 29 November at 16.00. The variant was detected in a sample taken a little more than a week ago from a person resident in Region Skåne. The person had recently returned from a stay in South Africa and the sample was sequenced in the framework of the ongoing national surveillance of SARS-CoV-2.
<<<

Unfortunately, omicron seems to be "everywhere you want to be" and then some.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Should I get the booster if I'm 50?
Also, what do you think of gain-of-function with Fauci and Rand Paul's case against him?

Let's get perspective on this. Fauci was one of the top medical students in the nation when he graduated in the 60s and pursued internal medicine with a subspecialty in infectious disease. He was so highly regarded that the public health service recruited him to the NIH and prevented him from being subject to the draft for Vietnam. Those few like him were called the yellow berets. He has had a long and highly productive career including being in charge of one of the institutes of the NIH (allergy and infectious disease) and played a large part in directing the AIDS research effort in the 80s.

Rand Paul is an MD (an ophthalmologist) who couldn't pass either of the two national boards for his specialty. Rather than try again, he ran an end around by making his own specialty board run by him and his family members! Shockingly, he passed his own board examination :rolleyes:.

So who are you gonna trust?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Let's get perspective on this. Fauci was one of the top medical students in the nation when he graduated in the 60s and pursued internal medicine with a subspecialty in infectious disease. He was so highly regarded that the public health service recruited him to the NIH and prevented him from being subject to the draft for Vietnam. Those few like him were called the yellow berets. He has had a long and highly productive career including being in charge of one of the institutes of the NIH (allergy and infectious disease) and played a large part in directing the AIDS research effort in the 80s.

Rand Paul is an MD (an ophthalmologist) who couldn't pass either of the two national boards for his specialty. Rather than try again, he ran an end around by making his own specialty board run by him and his family members! Shockingly, he passed his own board examination :rolleyes:.

Holy sh!t

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

To add to what Dan said. The subject of various GOP senators trying to instigate false charges against Anthony Fauci has been discussed before on this thread. Those efforts of Cruz, Paul, Rubio, and others have been thoroughly debunked as completely false. They are nothing more than cynical GOP senators trying to get campaign contributions from a few well-heeled right-wing patrons.

See post #4,902 for more about Rand Paul's so called medical qualifications:

Also see post #6,509 for more about debunking the false claims against Fauci:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Vaccine mandates work!

The Washington Post cites these numbers:
Among 3.5 million federal government employees, 92% have received at least one Covid-19 vaccine dose. Compare that to the overall USA numbers: 74% of Americans ≥5 years old have had at least one dose and 63% are fully vaccinated.

Among the federal departments, the numbers range from the Dept. of Agriculture's 86.1%. to the U.S. Agency for International Development’s 97.8%. The Dept. of Defense (both civilian and active duty military) has 93.4% with at least one dose.

This compares favorably with the mandated childhood measles, mumps and rubella vaccine, 91.6% for children born in 2017-2018.

Tyson Foods set a Nov. 1 deadline and reported over 96% uptake.

At the same time, a vocal minority have refused to obey mandates. In Chicago, 35 police and 26 Fire Department workers have been put on no-pay status and sent home for refusing to report their vaccination status. About 23% of the city’s first responders are not fully vaccinated, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Some 600 Google employees have signed a document calling on the company to rethink a vaccine mandate for its 150,000 workers.

CNN reports:
In New York City, as of last Thursday, 92% of the city's total workforce – including members of the NYC Dept. of Education and NYC Health & Hospitals – had received at least one dose of the coronavirus vaccine while 18,600 city municipal members were still not vaccinated. The Fire Dept. of New York's EMS workers are 90% vaccinated, while the overall rate for the FDNY (including firefighters, EMS, and civilian workers) is 84%, based on data released by the mayor's office.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
At the same time, a vocal minority have refused to obey mandates. In Chicago, 35 police and 26 Fire Department workers have been put on no-pay status and sent home for refusing to report their vaccination status. About 23% of the city’s first responders are not fully vaccinated, the Chicago Tribune reported.

. . .

CNN reports:
In New York City, as of last Thursday, 92% of the city's total workforce – including members of the NYC Dept. of Education and NYC Health & Hospitals – had received at least one dose of the coronavirus vaccine while 18,600 city municipal members were still not vaccinated. The Fire Dept. of New York's EMS workers are 90% vaccinated, while the overall rate for the FDNY (including firefighters, EMS, and civilian workers) is 84%, based on data released by the mayor's office.
I do not understand the lower vaccinated rates of first responders. The impact of covid is readily apparent from this graph:

1638218348453.png

Here's an article on the topic

>>>Vaccination rates among first responders continue to lag behind state and national averages, even though COVID-19 is the leading cause of death for firefighters last year and police officers this year.

Even though many first responders are on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic, vaccination rates among them are lagging. The Associates Press reports that first responders are some of the most hesitant to get the vaccine, despite rising death rates.<<<

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I do not understand the lower vaccinated rates of first responders. The impact of covid is readily apparent from this graph:

View attachment 51891

Here's an article on the topic

>>>Vaccination rates among first responders continue to lag behind state and national averages, even though COVID-19 is the leading cause of death for firefighters last year and police officers this year.

Even though many first responders are on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic, vaccination rates among them are lagging. The Associates Press reports that first responders are some of the most hesitant to get the vaccine, despite rising death rates.<<<

Just so sad that a vaccine has become so polarized.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

They are on the front line that see all the effects of covid going to hospitals full to the brim by those patients. Yes, most curious.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It is hard at the moment to separate the noise from hard facts.

There seems to be community spread in Scotland and Portugal unfortunately.

The WHO said today, that this variant represents a very high global risk. They stated that this variant seems to escape the immune system. At the moment I can not find on what basis they have made that claim.

I think the best advice, is to stay calm and limit human to human interaction as much as possible at this time. Make sure your vaccination status is as high as possible and mask up.

I don't think there can be any further advice apart from that until we have more hard facts to look at.

In view of events of the last two years, it is bound to worry thinking individuals. However worry solves nothing. Just take prudent steps on what we know now, be prepared to take further steps as hard information becomes available.

highfigh

highfigh

It is hard at the moment to separate the noise from hard facts.

There seems to be community spread in Scotland and Portugal unfortunately.

The WHO said today, that this variant represents a very high global risk. They stated that this variant seems to escape the immune system. At the moment I can not find on what basis they have made that claim.

I think the best advice, is to stay calm and limit human to human interaction as much as possible at this time. Make sure your vaccination status is as high as possible and mask up.

I don't think there can be any further advice apart from that until we have more hard facts to look at.

In view of events of the last two years, it is bound to worry thinking individuals. However worry solves nothing. Just take prudent steps on what we know now, be prepared to take further steps as hard information becomes available.
I have seen reports that showed the Omicron variant is highly contagious, but the cases aren't severe. Any light to shine on that?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have seen reports that showed the Omicron variant is highly contagious, but the cases aren't severe. Any light to shine on that?
In medicine that is called anecdotal data, which is well known to be the most unreliable. Do not put a lot of faith in those reports at present.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis