M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
So would you want an unvaccinated nurse or doctor around say your 80 year old parents in an ICU? Or nursing home? Puhleeze. And don't get me started on the military. When I joined the USAF back in the day you just lined up and got your shots. No questions it was mandated. And now you have clowns like Tucker Carlson saying the the military shouldn't mandate this vaccine. Even though his own company mandates covid vaccines or daily testing? Un Fn Believable. The good news is that the new cases are going down significantly so maybe we will survive this in spite of ourselves. Sorry about the rant.
I hear yah on the military. I find myself thinking "Suck it up buttercup!"

It's true that the total number of new cases in the U.S. has been dropping for the past month or so. Deaths have also been dropping.

Having said that, the total number of COVID deaths is still around 1,600-1,800 per day in the U.S. right now. Heart disease (normally #1) is about 1,800 per day and Cancer (normally #2) is about 1,600 per day. For better or worse, it seems as if we've all gotten somewhat used to the toll from COVID.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... For better or worse, it seems as if we've all gotten somewhat used to the toll from COVID.
That is more than unfortunate as we have a very good if not excellent vaccine for it unlike heart and cancer

highfigh

highfigh

So would you want an unvaccinated nurse or doctor around say your 80 year old parents in an ICU? Or nursing home? Puhleeze. And don't get me started on the military. When I joined the USAF back in the day you just lined up and got your shots. No questions it was mandated. And now you have clowns like Tucker Carlson saying the the military shouldn't mandate this vaccine. Even though his own company mandates covid vaccines or daily testing? Un Fn Believable. The good news is that the new cases are going down significantly so maybe we will survive this in spite of ourselves. Sorry about the rant.
Not a single one of those vaccines were as new as the ones for COVID and those diseases had been around for a long, long time- this is only two years old.

I don't know if you look at the stats for new cases in other states, but in Wisconsin, the number is up significantly from a couple of months ago, but the daily deaths is below 1% of reported cases. The total deaths/total cases has dropped to about 1.07%, so it hasn't been as deadly, lately.

The last time I saw the national total of people who received one shot and fully vaccinated, neither exceeded 60%.

highfigh

highfigh

It's true that the total number of new cases in the U.S. has been dropping for the past month or so. Deaths have also been dropping.

Having said that, the total number of COVID deaths is still around 1,600-1,800 per day in the U.S. right now. Heart disease (normally #1) is about 1,800 per day and Cancer (normally #2) is about 1,600 per day. For better or worse, it seems as if we've all gotten somewhat used to the toll from COVID.
We have also become accustomed to the murder rate and other horrendous acts- the poop that's happening locally is insane and some of it is creeping too close for comfort, WRT where I live.

When I was a kid, people would freak out when a garage was entered and a bike stolen and now, with daily murder, mayhem and insanity, people barely blink.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Not a single one of those vaccines were as new as the ones for COVID and those diseases had been around for a long, long time- this is only two years old.

I don't know if you look at the stats for new cases in other states, but in Wisconsin, the number is up significantly from a couple of months ago, but the daily deaths is below 1% of reported cases. The total deaths/total cases has dropped to about 1.07%, so it hasn't been as deadly, lately.

The last time I saw the national total of people who received one shot and fully vaccinated, neither exceeded 60%.
mRNA vaccine technology isn't new, this is just the first large scale introduction of one to the public. They had been working on mRNA vaccines for years before Covid popped up. Once you know how to make an mRNA vaccine for one viral vector it is not that difficult to make it for a different one.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mRNA vaccine technology isn't new, this is just the first large scale introduction of one to the public. They had been working on mRNA vaccines for years before Covid popped up. Once you know how to make an mRNA vaccine for one viral vector it is not that difficult to make it for a different one.
And, from what I have heard, at least Pfizer took a huge gamble by doing the usual three phases to get vaccines to market and did all three at the same time. If the trials didn't work, they would have lost billions. Hence the misconception of time.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

Yep covid deaths are the new norm it would seem.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

Look unlike our current President I am not pro mandate for everyone. But healthcare workers are a whole nother issue. If you don't want to get the vaccine then find another job.

highfigh

highfigh

I was told the same WRT the mRNA research, but the masses haven't heard that and I have to think that's the reason for the vaccine hesitancy- they see this as "They're forcing us to be vaccinated". However, we have never seen such a virulent virus in the wild at this level and have never needed to come up with a vaccine so quickly- one year of testing is too short to 'know' that it won't negatively affect peoples' health in the long run, IMO and the opinion of many others.

I mentioned some people who were infected- one of those couples had a friend who, along with her daughter, was infected after vaccination. They both went into the hospital but only one survived and it wasn't the daughter, who had been in excellent health. The mother had some health problems and she walked out a week after admission.

I had no side effects after the first shot, but about two weeks after the second, my feet would swell after sitting for about a half hour and that hadn't happened before. It stopped after about a week, but it was still alarming. I started using a stationary bike for my knee rehab in August and not long after, I started riding my mountain bike- while I haven't ridden much more than 15 miles on varying terrain, I have had no problems with my legs being totally fatigued or being completely winded. If I start to feel like crap after a short ride, I'll know something is wrong.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I mentioned some people who were infected- one of those couples had a friend who, along with her daughter, was infected after vaccination. They both went into the hospital but only one survived and it wasn't the daughter, who had been in excellent health. The mother had some health problems and she walked out a week after admission.
There's always fringe cases, but the overall numbers of infection , hospitalization, and death are much much lower for those who have been vaccinated.

If all we did was focus on outliers to determine the safety and efficacy of things, we'd determine that nothing was safe and effective.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was told the same WRT the mRNA research, but the masses haven't heard that and I have to think that's the reason for the vaccine hesitancy- they see this as "They're forcing us to be vaccinated". However, we have never seen such a virulent virus in the wild at this level and have never needed to come up with a vaccine so quickly- one year of testing is too short to 'know' that it won't negatively affect peoples' health in the long run, IMO and the opinion of many others.

I had no side effects after the first shot, but about two weeks after the second, my feet would swell after sitting for about a half hour and that hadn't happened before. It stopped after about a week, but it was still alarming. I started using a stationary bike for my knee rehab in August and not long after, I started riding my mountain bike- while I haven't ridden much more than 15 miles on varying terrain, I have had no problems with my legs being totally fatigued or being completely winded. If I start to feel like crap after a short ride, I'll know something is wrong.
Unfortuntatly, there are still so many unknowns. I just got my booster on Friday, I have had 0 side effects. The first two I had mild tinatius increase in my right ear, but that went away two weeks after my first shot and 2 days after my second. This time around 0 with the booster. I travel for work (my choice) and I want to protect myself as best I can.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
There's always fringe cases, but the overall numbers of infection , hospitalization, and death are much much lower for those who have been vaccinated.

If all we did was focus on outliers to determine the safety and efficacy of things, we'd determine that nothing was safe and effective.
There was a Bloom County strip back in the 80's where the whole cast were trying to be responsible environmentalists. They realized that everything they owned, did, or ate, affected the environment negatively. The last panel had them all naked and hanging by their feet from tree branches and trying to hold their breath.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Has anyone received the Moderna Booster yet?

It's been about 7 months since my second Moderna shot. I'm getting ready.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Has anyone received the Moderna Booster yet?

It's been about 7 months since my second Moderna shot. I'm getting ready.
Got mine today at the local publix. No lines or wait times as they only scheduled a shot every 15 minutes. I'll check back tomorrow on how I feel.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I got my pfizer booster a couple weeks ago. Just a little arm soreness for a couple days.

My magnetic field still measures the same, but DAMN this 6G phone signal is like nothing you've ever seen!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
It looks like Merck has agreed to a royalty free license for molnupiravir for countries in the Medicines Patent Pool. The NYT article (second link below) does a better job of explaining the overall licensing landscape for this drug (not all countries are in the Medicines Patent Pool).

One caveat: I have not read the actual licenses and it's possible that there are restrictions in the fine print, so to speak.

>>>Pharmaceutical company Merck agreed to allow other drug makers to produce its COVID-19 pill, in a move aimed at helping millions of people in poorer countries get access to the potentially life-saving drug, a United Nations-backed public health organization said on Wednesday.

The Medicines Patent Pool said in a statement that it had signed a voluntary licensing agreement for molnupiravir with Merck and its partner Ridgeback Biotherapeutics.

The agreement will allow the Medicines Patent Pool to grant further licenses to qualified companies who are approved to make the drug. Neither drug maker will receive royalties under the agreement for as long as the World Health Organization deems COVID-19 to be global emergency. Molnupiravir is the first pill that has been shown to treat the disease. . . .

Merck reported this month that molnupiravir cut hospitalizations and deaths by half among patients with early symptoms of COVID-19. The results were so strong that independent medical experts monitoring the trial recommended stopping it early.

An antiviral pill that people could take at home to reduce their symptoms and speed recovery could prove groundbreaking, easing the crushing caseload on hospitals and helping to curb outbreaks in poorer countries with weak health care systems.<<<

>>>The licenses that Merck issued to the Indian generic makers restricts sales to developing countries and excludes most middle-income ones, including China and Russia — the site of a current raging Covid outbreak — raising the possibility that citizens in these nations, which often have weak health systems, will not get access to the drug.

The patent pool agreement for molnupiravir also excludes middle-income countries and most nations in Latin America, Mr. Love said.<<<

“What are you going to do for countries like Chile or Colombia, Thailand or Mexico?” he asked. “They’re not in the license.”

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis