GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Would you expect them to say "OK, you can treat me, but only under protest"? Individual rights and public health care aren't mutually exclusive and they're totally different topics- individual rights has to do with being forced to do thing that someone doesn't believe in (treating someone who identifies as a Rutabaga as if they're actually a Rutabaga) or to give up/be denied freedoms that all should have (not going to get into the gun debate here). I personally haven't seen anyone denied the right to vote, extremely long lines or people being removed from the lines- I don't know all of the claimed tactics, but I think that voters should be able to cast their ballot in a relatively short time but I also think that if someone needs to eat on a schedule or if they think it will take some time to get through, bringing a snack or water bottle isn't an extraordinary task. I don't think the polling place needs to supply these and if someone needs to get water from a drinking fountain or use the restroom, they should be able to return to the line in their original place.

These are two hot button issues that are surrounded by a lot of BS and it needs to stop. Too many people hoard guns & ammo because they think the gubmint is coming for them or because they'll be invaded by a hoard, when they live in the mean streets of a cushy suburb. My cousin's husband is one of those and he's ridiculous. If someone came for him, he'd crap himself- 'all hat, no cattle', as they say. Rampant voter fraud doesn't exist, but the care needed when handling ballots really needs to be improved- that's probably where the worst problems exist and I can't think of an election where bins full of ballots WEREN'T found in someone's car, basement,
dumpsters, in a landfill, etc.

Since I put voting on the table, let me ask you this- are you required to show photo ID when you go to vote? That's something the Left is vehemently opposed to, even though it's hard to go through life without proof of identification and it's not aimed at any particular group. If someone were to use my name and address to vote, I would be seriously PO'd.
I guess you don't see the irony that I do. There is some cognitive dissonance on display with people making spittle-flecked assertions of their right to be stupid, but are very happy to have the government come in and rescue them from said stupidity.

Your response to my post may have some tangential relevance to what I said, but your points look more like strawmen to me.

As for voter ID - yes, it is required here, but not absolutely. If you don't have ID, you can vote if someone else (with ID) vouches for you. Concerns over voting fraud are simply not a thing here, except maybe in the febrile minds of the far right - which does exist in Canada, but to a much lessor extent than in the US. Since elections here are run by a permanent non-partisan organization, there is much less concern about election jiggery-pokery.

Have your ID ready to vote – Elections Canada

That said, while I understand why many Americans are concerned about voter ID, I can appreciate why many oppose it. Many valid points made here:

Oppose Voter ID Legislation - Fact Sheet | American Civil Liberties Union (aclu.org)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I guess you don't see the irony that I do. There is some cognitive dissonance on display with people making spittle-flecked assertions of their right to be stupid, but are very happy to have the government come in and rescue them from said stupidity.

Your response to my post may have some tangential relevance to what I said, but your points look more like strawmen to me.

As for voter ID - yes, it is required here, but not absolutely. If you don't have ID, you can vote if someone else (with ID) vouches for you. Concerns over voting fraud are simply not a thing here, except maybe in the febrile minds of the far right - which does exist in Canada, but to a much lessor extent than in the US. Since elections here are run by a permanent non-partisan organization, there is much less concern about election jiggery-pokery.

Have your ID ready to vote – Elections Canada

That said, while I understand why many Americans are concerned about voter ID, I can appreciate why many oppose it. Many valid points made here:

Oppose Voter ID Legislation - Fact Sheet | American Civil Liberties Union (aclu.org)
Oh, I see it- I know someone who was opposed to masks and vaccination until after he got it and then, his son's father in law died from it. Then, he went full 180 and gave me a big chunk of shyte for not being vaccinated while I was waiting for the results of a COVID test. He did it again later and has begun shouting at people when he disagrees with them, something I don't remember him doing in the more than 40 years we have known each other. Yesterday, he went on a "saying that workers are hard to find because people are being paid to stay home is a Republican thing" and after the other person in the conversation said that workers were hard to find then talked about an Oregon Asparagus farmer who couldn't get workers through the Mexican border because Trump screwed everything up. He REALLY hates Trump. I watched an interview with the farmer- he said he pays $16/hr, which shows that people don't want to work, not just that migrant workers can't get there. I asked where all of the workers went who were laid off or lost their jobs because the place where they worked closed, but he just switched and went on about Trump.

One of the first claims in the ACLU crap says that government IDs cast money. That has been addressed by many states- if someone can't afford it, it's free. It then goes on to say "Even if ID is offered for free, voters must incur numerous costs (such as paying for birth certificates) to apply for a government-issued ID."- that's not 'numerous' and a birth certificate can be free, too. If someone is far from some gov't offices, it's likely that getting the forms and having a notary stamp and signature is sufficient. However, I would ask why they didn't have some form of ID if they're of adult age. They can't cash a check, LEGALLY buy liquor, drive, get a library card, receive SNAP or other government benecfits, GET A JOB, go to an adult-rated movie or do a lot of things that people do on a regular basis, disabled or not. If they have been disabled for a long time, how would they receive medical care?

When I went to the polling places for the first time in those areas, I needed to bring an ID or, if I didn't have one, some other proof of residence like a utility bill. ANYTHING that proved an address- the first time was over 45 years ago, so I don't remember exactly what I needed but some of the same people still work the elections......

We now need to take a card that shows we have been vaccinated for COVID- IIRC, I needed to show my ID when I was tested and when I went for my shots.

If it's so damned hard, why doesn't some agency go to the rural areas with buses to take people to the places where they can get the cards, or handle it on a town to town basis? Complaining and doing nothing to help- yeah, that will get it done. There are ways to do this but I haven't seen anyone mention any- they just like to bitch about it.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, I see it- I know someone who was opposed to masks and vaccination until after he got it and then, his son's father in law died from it. Then, he went full 180 and gave me a big chunk of shyte for not being vaccinated while I was waiting for the results of a COVID test. He did it again later and has begun shouting at people when he disagrees with them, something I don't remember him doing in the more than 40 years we have known each other. Yesterday, he went on a "saying that workers are hard to find because people are being paid to stay home is a Republican thing" and after the other person in the conversation said that workers were hard to find then talked about an Oregon Asparagus farmer who couldn't get workers through the Mexican border because Trump screwed everything up. He REALLY hates Trump. I watched an interview with the farmer- he said he pays $16/hr, which shows that people don't want to work, not just that migrant workers can't get there. I asked where all of the workers went who were laid off or lost their jobs because the place where they worked closed, but he just switched and went on about Trump.

One of the first claims in the ACLU crap says that government IDs cast money. That has been addressed by many states- if someone can't afford it, it's free. It then goes on to say "Even if ID is offered for free, voters must incur numerous costs (such as paying for birth certificates) to apply for a government-issued ID."- that's not 'numerous' and a birth certificate can be free, too. If someone is far from some gov't offices, it's likely that getting the forms and having a notary stamp and signature is sufficient. However, I would ask why they didn't have some form of ID if they're of adult age. They can't cash a check, LEGALLY buy liquor, drive, get a library card, receive SNAP or other government benecfits, GET A JOB, go to an adult-rated movie or do a lot of things that people do on a regular basis, disabled or not. If they have been disabled for a long time, how would they receive medical care?

When I went to the polling places for the first time in those areas, I needed to bring an ID or, if I didn't have one, some other proof of residence like a utility bill. ANYTHING that proved an address- the first time was over 45 years ago, so I don't remember exactly what I needed but some of the same people still work the elections......

We now need to take a card that shows we have been vaccinated for COVID- IIRC, I needed to show my ID when I was tested and when I went for my shots.

If it's so damned hard, why doesn't some agency go to the rural areas with buses to take people to the places where they can get the cards, or handle it on a town to town basis? Complaining and doing nothing to help- yeah, that will get it done. There are ways to do this but I haven't seen anyone mention any- they just like to bitch about it.
Oh, I fully support people having ID of some sort. I don't know how anyone can function in modern society without one. But, it's apparent that some/many people don't, for various reasons. Those reasons may be BS, as you seem to think. Regardless, voter fraud is not a very efficient method for stealing an election and ID requirements as demanded by the right are more about impeding people on the left from voting than insuring election integrity.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, I fully support people having ID of some sort. ID requirements as demanded by the right are more about impeding people on the left from voting than insuring election integrity.
Well I'm right of center and if one can't identify themselves I'm fine with them not being allowed to vote. Common sense, simple rule, if they can't handle it, go away ........

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Well I'm right of center and if one can't identify themselves I'm fine with them not being allowed to vote. Common sense, simple rule, if they can't handle it, go away ........
This topic is deflecting from the purpose of the thread, so it would be better to move it elsewhere.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
This topic is deflecting from the purpose of the thread, so it would be better to move it elsewhere.
agreed, but I do get your point as well.Again, a situation where it would be nice for common sense to prevail !

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Apparently you don't believe in rights.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
getting back on topic............

According to the same website, about 90% of the population in Ireland is fully vaccinated.

1631754378454.png

In other words, the 10% of the population that is not vaccinated make up 46% of the hospital patients. That's strong evidence the vaccines greatly reduce the risk of ending up in the hospital.

What's interesting is that a very high percentage of the population that is not vaccinated is younger:

1631754608425.png

In other words, the unvaxxed 10% of the population is overwhelmingly younger, yet the unvaxxed are still being hospitalized at a much higher rate than the vaxxed.

Again, this looks like strong evidence that the vaccines are very effective (when compared to not getting vaxxed).

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
According to the same website, about 90% of the population in Ireland is fully vaccinated.

View attachment 50330

In other words, the 10% of the population that is not vaccinated make up 46% of the hospital patients. That's strong evidence the vaccines greatly reduce the risk of ending up in the hospital.
It's actually about 90% of the adult population.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Oh, I fully support people having ID of some sort. I don't know how anyone can function in modern society without one. But, it's apparent that some/many people don't, for various reasons. Those reasons may be BS, as you seem to think. Regardless, voter fraud is not a very efficient method for stealing an election and ID requirements as demanded by the right are more about impeding people on the left from voting than insuring election integrity.
"I don't know how anyone can function in modern society without one"- that's the reason I don't see a problem with requiring an ID, but haven't seen how it would prevent someone casting their vote. Do you have any specifics? Some of the problems come in the form of reducing the number of polling places, requiring in-person delivery of absentee ballots (in AZ, GA and others, as claimed by the link below) but proving citizenship (which should include a valid driver's license and other simple documents, but not making people jump through a lot of hoops) doesn't seem too restrictive although it can always be abused by people who may be in charge at the local level.

If the two parties could work together rather than throwing rocks at each other, this could be settled pretty easily- being defined as disfunctional government' left the building a long time ago. We all should want election integrity, but they need to be realistic about what is needed and why. That's not the politicians way, though.

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
"I don't know how anyone can function in modern society without one"- that's the reason I don't see a problem with requiring an ID, but haven't seen how it would prevent someone casting their vote. Do you have any specifics? Some of the problems come in the form of reducing the number of polling places, requiring in-person delivery of absentee ballots (in AZ, GA and others, as claimed by the link below) but proving citizenship (which should include a valid driver's license and other simple documents, but not making people jump through a lot of hoops) doesn't seem too restrictive although it can always be abused by people who may be in charge at the local level.

If the two parties could work together rather than throwing rocks at each other, this could be settled pretty easily- being defined as disfunctional government' left the building a long time ago. We all should want election integrity, but they need to be realistic about what is needed and why. That's not the politicians way, though.

I really don't know this can be resolved in the American context, since the loudest voices on the issue are at polar opposites. But, casting doubt on the integrity of the electoral process is concentrated on one side, based on nothing of substance. Again, this is deflecting from the purpose of the thread. Such discussion should be elsewhere.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Unvaccinated TikTokers Are Calling Themselves ‘Purebloods’ (vice.com)

So, when the virus is circulating in their bodies, instead of anti-bodies and T-cells, are they still "purebloods"?
Too much Harry Potter, I guess.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Too much Harry Potter, I guess.

Indeed, although in the HP universe, "pureblood" is not a complementary term.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Indeed, although in the HP universe, "pureblood" is not a complementary term.
Yeah, it was a little tongue-in-cheek in that they probably did not understand the term and missed the inbreeding part :)

When I read your post about the "purebloods" what come to mind was a bunch of inbred hillbillies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis