M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This has the makings of a good medical mystery:

>>>AstraZeneca’s new clinical trial results are positive but confusing, leaving many experts wanting to see more data before passing final judgment on how well the vaccine will work. . .
What have the AstraZeneca trials found?

. . . On Monday, AstraZeneca and Oxford released details about the first 131 volunteers to get Covid-19 in late-stage trials in the United Kingdom and Brazil. All of the volunteers got two doses about a month apart, but in some cases the first dose was only at half strength.

Surprisingly, the vaccine combination in which the first dose was only at half strength was 90 percent effective at preventing Covid-19 in the trial. In contrast, the combination of two, full-dose shots led to just 62 percent efficacy.

Why would that be?
No one knows. The researchers speculated that the lower first dose did a better job of mimicking the experience of an infection, promoting a stronger immune response. But other factors, like the size and makeup of the groups that got different doses, may also be at play.<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This has the makings of a good medical mystery:

>>>AstraZeneca’s new clinical trial results are positive but confusing, leaving many experts wanting to see more data before passing final judgment on how well the vaccine will work. . .
What have the AstraZeneca trials found?

. . . On Monday, AstraZeneca and Oxford released details about the first 131 volunteers to get Covid-19 in late-stage trials in the United Kingdom and Brazil. All of the volunteers got two doses about a month apart, but in some cases the first dose was only at half strength.

Surprisingly, the vaccine combination in which the first dose was only at half strength was 90 percent effective at preventing Covid-19 in the trial. In contrast, the combination of two, full-dose shots led to just 62 percent efficacy.

Why would that be?
No one knows. The researchers speculated that the lower first dose did a better job of mimicking the experience of an infection, promoting a stronger immune response. But other factors, like the size and makeup of the groups that got different doses, may also be at play.<<<

Here's more from the article:

>>>Why did the researchers test two different doses?
It was a lucky mistake. Researchers in Britain had been meaning to give volunteers the initial dose at full strength, but they made a miscalculation and accidentally gave it at half strength, Reuters reported. After discovering the error, the researchers gave each affected participant the full strength booster shot as planned about a month later.

Fewer than 2,800 volunteers got the half-strength initial dose, out of the more than 23,000 participants whose results were reported on Monday. That’s a pretty small number of participants on which to base the spectacular efficacy results — far fewer than in Pfizer’s and Moderna’s trials.<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
According to one study, plasma treatment does not appear to be very effective, at least in severe cases:

>>>(Reuters) - Using blood plasma from COVID-19 survivors to treat patients with severe pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus showed little benefit, according to data released on Tuesday from a clinical trial in Argentina.<<<

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
that's a waaaay shortsighted thought... grocery stores are and will still be open... guess what nearly every grocery store carries... alcohol.. liquor stores closing are an economic issue if no relief package is passed(unemployment) , other than that closing liquor stores is not much of an issue... now if they close the weed dispensary's we have an issue ..
withdrawing from weed does not create a medical emergency and I never said to close liquor stores, they were not closed last time we had a shutdown. Also, no grocery stores carry liquor where I am.

So, overall, I have to grade this post a fail. Come on, I know you can do better if you apply yourself.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
IF that happens, we need to get some folks some help. I used to drink every day without fail and it wasn't just a little. When I stopped I never even had a hint of withdrawal. If "millions" are going to have this problem then we have a heck of a lot of functioning alcoholics in that area.

Also, if that's a big issue there, can't people still go get beer? At least to stop the withdrawal. I guess I just didn't think that'd be an issue. More of a "damn, can't get whiskey, oh well..." situation.

Wonder if we'll start hearing about the alcohol epidemic next? Doubt it.
with all respect, your experience with alcohol leads you to a fallacy of logic on the subject.
Last lock down liquor stores were left open just to avoid any problems with withdrawal among the population.

peace brother, enjoy the holidays!

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I love that the solution to contain a pandemic is to close liquor stores. Not mandate face masks and social distancing and fine those that don't comply. Nope. No that. God forbid we break up large gatherings and fine those in attendance. Why do the smart thing when you can just do something pointless that makes people angry?
Agreed.

Mask wearing and social distancing is mandated here in PA but enforcement is spotty at best. Some businesses are very strict while some have a laissez-faire attitude.

Our majority Republican legislature is constantly trying to hobble the governor’s orders, regarding the virus, and the courts are filled with lawsuits by restaurants /landlords/etc., never mind the various parent’s lawsuits suing local school districts, insisting they stay open for their children to attend. o_O

It’s every man & woman for himself here. All I can do is take personal responsibility for myself and my immediate family. More than once I’ve actually walked out of some grocery stores where the rules were not being enforced by management or fierce/emotional/threatening arguments broke out between people over mask wearing/social distancing over some toilet paper, etc.

It’s just crazy.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Someone needs to tell them that if the liquor stores close, tax revenue will decrease.
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. o_O

On a positive note though, if they stay open, it's one way to cull the morons among us.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Interestingly here in Ohio, our Republican Governor is one of the very strongest proponents of COVID control. He does 2 or 3 one hour or longer TV briefing every week.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
It’s every man & woman for himself here. All I can do is take personal responsibility for myself and my immediate family. More than once I’ve actually walked out of some grocery stores where the rules were not being enforced by management or fierce/emotional/threatening arguments broke out between people over mask wearing/social distancing over some toilet paper, etc.

It’s just crazy.
Yep, that's humans for ya. Just another failed species.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
With NY state still far ahead of the rest of the country in COVID deaths, I would like for someone to explain why Gov Cuomo won an International Emmy Award for public service. NY has over 34K deaths, followed by Texas (>21K) and California (just under 19K).

He deserves it. The death toll is a product of early seeding which no one could foresee. The response in NY has been text book perfect. His honestly, sincerity and adherence to science made his daily updates very compelling. His management took NY from the worst in teh country, by far, to teh best in the country. Thee is no rational reason to not respect him for his efforts on the virus or the telecasts.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
He deserves it. The death toll is a product of early seeding which no one could foresee. The response in NY has been text book perfect. His honestly, sincerity and adherence to science made his daily updates very compelling. His management took NY from the worst in teh country, by far, to teh best in the country. Thee is no rational reason to not respect him for his efforts on the virus or the telecasts.
NY had the largest surge int he beginning because he put COVID patients in nursing homes, then reversed it- how is that 'good management'?

OK, if he improved the situation, fine, but a freaking Emmy award? That's for the TV entertainment industry, not health care. It's similar to a participation award- he was doing his job, nothing more.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
NY had the largest surge int he beginning because he put COVID patients in nursing homes, then reversed it- how is that 'good management'?

OK, if he improved the situation, fine, but a freaking Emmy award? That's for the TV entertainment industry, not health care. It's similar to a participation award- he was doing his job, nothing more.
I respect your differing opinion but his conferences were the most compelling TV I have seen this year so to me he deserves it.

peace

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
withdrawing from weed does not create a medical emergency and I never said to close liquor stores, they were not closed last time we had a shutdown. Also, no grocery stores carry liquor where I am.

So, overall, I have to grade this post a fail. Come on, I know you can do better if you apply yourself.
sooo.. you weren't talking about shutting down liquor stores as a situation that would cause issues?.. please explain what you were referring to...the weed statement was tongue in cheek at a personal level, i know that's hard to detect in a written post.:confused:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
With NY state still far ahead of the rest of the country in COVID deaths, I would like for someone to explain why Gov Cuomo won an International Emmy Award for public service. NY has over 34K deaths, followed by Texas (>21K) and California (just under 19K).

Keep in mind that with how densly populated NY city is, it's not unexpected that it have a massive spread even with people cooperating and doing what they're supposed to.

Dense population is very bad when it comes to infection rates.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A day late and a dollar short.

Here in PA, they just announced that liquor stores will be closed as of Wednesday, without any time-line on when they will re-open.

This was the same precursor action taken back in April before a complete shut-down. Cases and deaths may soon surpass the April/May numbers here.

I'm not surprised from the few times I've gone out to go grocery shopping or get my meds. Car and store traffic seem to be back to the good old pre-Covid days. Very confusing.

As someone here stated previouly, Darwin might have been onto something.
So, it should be exciting to see what type of craziness erupts as people hoard and empty the shelves on this last day of availability.
Did the governor of Pa request National Guard be stationed at the stores to maintain order?
I hope I'm wrong, but between the opportunity for a super spreader event, physical violence between hoarders over the last few bottles, and looting in the confusion this seems like an invitation for disaster that may exceed potential benefits!
I hope it does not become the sh!t show I'm envisioning!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis