NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I've managed to book an appointment for my first dose at a site about 3 hours away on April 1st. This gives me a few weeks to see if I can find a closer appointment.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Since it's a slow news day on the COVID front I'll post this. It's unclear if there's anything to the COVID rumors.

"John Magufuli: Tanzania's president dies aged 61 after Covid rumours"

"

Interesting from another news site " He claimed last year that Tanzania had eradicated COVID-19 through three days of prayer, The Associated Press reported. He played down the pandemic and denounced vaccines as a Western conspiracy against Africans. "

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This article suggests that a strong reaction to the vaccine "may" signal prior infection. This is not exactly earth-shattering, but it seems to be a slow news day on the COVID front.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The NY Times has an article about the ethics of the vaccine pause. I think TLS Guy mentioned this in a prior post, but the gist of it is that the precautionary principle seems to trump most other considerations in the EU way of thinking.

>>>European health agencies this week faced, with millions of lives in the balance, a staggeringly high-stakes incarnation of what ethicists call the trolley problem.

Imagine standing at a railway switch. If you do nothing, a trolley barreling down the track will hit three people in its path. If you pull the lever, the trolley will divert to an alternate track with one person. Which option is morally preferable: deliberately killing one person or passively allowing three to die?

In Europe’s version, German regulators identified seven cases of a rare cerebral blood clot, three of them fatal, out of 1.6 million who had received the AstraZeneca vaccine. Regulators had no proof they were linked, only a statistical anomaly. Still, continuing vaccinations might make them responsible for putting a handful of people in harm’s way — like pulling the lever on the trolley tracks. . . .

“This idea of the precautionary principle plays a big role in E.U. policy,” said Govind Persad, a University of Denver bioethicist. That principle calls for pausing any policy that might bring unforeseen harms in order to study those harms before proceeding. Imposing blind risk, however small, on unknowing citizens would be wrong. <<<

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just got my first Pfizer shot about 10 minutes ago. Sitting here waiting for my observation period to end.

Only side effect so far... I need to pee like a motherfucker because I've been standing in line for over an hour. :p

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Just got my first Pfizer shot about 10 minutes ago. Sitting here waiting for my observation period to end.

Only side effect so far... I need to pee like a motherfucker because I've been standing in line for over an hour. :p
Let us know how it goes! ("it" being peeing like a motherfucker)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
A whole slew of vaccine appointments were opened up in my county around noon today and despite my wife and I trying, we were unable to get an appointment slot booked.

I've come to the conclusion that trying to get a vaccine appointment is like trying to get concert tickets for a popular band you like. You sit there a few minutes before the release with two browsers open and your mobile device waiting to refresh and try to find a spot. Your wife/friend is also on their laptop attempting to do the same thing. You refresh, there's an open slot, you hit book, it's already gone. Repeat process over and over for the next 3 minutes until you see that nothing is available.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
A whole slew of vaccine appointments were opened up in my county around noon today and despite my wife and I trying, we were unable to get an appointment slot booked.

I've come to the conclusion that trying to get a vaccine appointment is like trying to get concert tickets for a popular band you like. You sit there a few minutes before the release with two browsers open and your mobile device waiting to refresh and try to find a spot. Your wife/friend is also on their laptop attempting to do the same thing. You refresh, there's an open slot, you hit book, it's already gone. Repeat process over and over for the next 3 minutes until you see that nothing is available.
That sucks. Like trying to by Tool tickets.

For the last NIN show I went to, it was buy in person or nothing. Good thing my friend didn't mind standing in line for 5 hours.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai

For the last NIN show I went to, it was buy in person or nothing. Good thing my friend didn't mind standing in line for 5 hours.
Yeah, that was me... The line was not “supposed” to form before 9:00 or so, but there were hundreds of illiterates that did not read the directions and camped out.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Received my second Pfizer shot yesterday. My wife received her first shot on the 15th. Minimal side effects :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

I remember trying to get tickets for a korn/disturbed show at the venue where it was being held only to be told they weren't available at the box office. :mad:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The NY Times has an article about the ethics of the vaccine pause. I think TLS Guy mentioned this in a prior post, but the gist of it is that the precautionary principle seems to trump most other considerations in the EU way of thinking.

>>>European health agencies this week faced, with millions of lives in the balance, a staggeringly high-stakes incarnation of what ethicists call the trolley problem.

Imagine standing at a railway switch. If you do nothing, a trolley barreling down the track will hit three people in its path. If you pull the lever, the trolley will divert to an alternate track with one person. Which option is morally preferable: deliberately killing one person or passively allowing three to die?

In Europe’s version, German regulators identified seven cases of a rare cerebral blood clot, three of them fatal, out of 1.6 million who had received the AstraZeneca vaccine. Regulators had no proof they were linked, only a statistical anomaly. Still, continuing vaccinations might make them responsible for putting a handful of people in harm’s way — like pulling the lever on the trolley tracks. . . .

“This idea of the precautionary principle plays a big role in E.U. policy,” said Govind Persad, a University of Denver bioethicist. That principle calls for pausing any policy that might bring unforeseen harms in order to study those harms before proceeding. Imposing blind risk, however small, on unknowing citizens would be wrong. <<<

That was exactly the point I was making. The EU precautionary principle has the unintended consequence of actually throwing caution to the winds.

Audioluvr!

Audioluvr!

Enthusiast
Good because I want to go to Acapulco soon. I went to Cabo this Christmas and all the restrictions SUCKED!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
That clown (Paul) is a physician!?
Unfortunately, even an impressive formal education is not a guarantee of a high level of capability in actual practice. Some physicians are antivaxers. I have worked with MSEEs who thought there were audible differences in high end audio cables. It happens.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis