• Fever- 14.2
Moderna
  • Injection site pain- 91.6%
  • Fatigue- 68.5%
  • Headache- 63%
  • Muscle pain- 59.6%
  • Joint pain- 44.8%
  • Chills 43.4%

They had a nice graphic showing he comparison this morning it is gone now.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
New Zealand. No new cases over the past 2 weeks. 5 mil population, 25 deaths, 2k cases total.
Country opened up, no masks, no distancing, nothing. Borders are closed though so no, you cannot travel there to enjoy the freedoms. :D
Say it with me- low population density and avoiding close interactions. Those two make it hard to transmit.

highfigh

highfigh

Oh. I thought you meant something besides common, expected effects of vaccines. :D
Maybe the side effects are expected with a vaccine that has been around for a while, but for something that's as new, how do you 'expect' anything specific?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe the side effects are expected with a vaccine that has been around for a while, but for something that's as new, how do you 'expect' anything specific?
I might expect typical effects of vaccines - soreness at the injection site, low-grade fever, etc. How many times have you heard "The flu vaccine gave me the flu!" nonsense.

highfigh

highfigh

I might expect typical effects of vaccines - soreness at the injection site, low-grade fever, etc. How many times have you heard "The flu vaccine gave me the flu!" nonsense.
It may not be nonsense. I got the Swine Flu vaccine in the early-'80s- damned if I wasn't sick as a dog for four days and there's always the possibility that the shot had nothing to do with it but I became ill within a day. While I was at home, I did finish a term paper, though. I dropped it off at school and the whole time, I felt like I was on come kind of cloud, wrapped in foam, inside of a Michelin Man suit . The TA wrote "What the hell is this????" on it after she read it. It seemed to make sense to me at the time, but when I re-read it, I asked the same question.

Hard to say what I had, but I don't remember anyone else at the store dropping from anything similar (I was working at a stereo shop at the time).

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It may not be nonsense. I got the Swine Flu vaccine in the early-'80s- damned if I wasn't sick as a dog for four days and there's always the possibility that the shot had nothing to do with it but I became ill within a day. While I was at home, I did finish a term paper, though. I dropped it off at school and the whole time, I felt like I was on come kind of cloud, wrapped in foam, inside of a Michelin Man suit . The TA wrote "What the hell is this????" on it after she read it. It seemed to make sense to me at the time, but when I re-read it, I asked the same question.

Hard to say what I had, but I don't remember anyone else at the store dropping from anything similar (I was working at a stereo shop at the time).
Interesting...

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

For what it's worth, I got a flu shot a few weeks ago and noticed absolutely nothing, not even a hint of soreness where it was injected. I'm not sure if one's reaction to flu shots has anything to do with allergies.

I'm not saying you didn't have a reaction to the Swine Flu shot, of course. I never got that one.

Personally, at this point, I'm not too worried about the side effects from the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines.

highfigh

highfigh

For what it's worth, I got a flu shot a few weeks ago and noticed absolutely nothing, not even a hint of soreness where it was injected. I'm not sure if one's reaction to flu shots has anything to do with allergies.

I'm not saying you didn't have a reaction to the Swine Flu shot, of course. I never got that one.

Personally, at this point, I'm not too worried about the side effects from the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines.
The only things I remember causing a reaction for me was when I would go into a florist or when a roommate's kitten would lay on my throat, when I was sleeping. Aside from that, I don't think I'm allergic to anything.

I haven't had a cold in three years, either.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Say it with me- low population density and avoiding close interactions. Those two make it hard to transmit.
We've been over this - there may be some correlation between population density and COVID cases, but only a little. In New Zealand's case, they brought in tough restrictions right from the get-go and they are on isolated islands, which helps control their borders.

Population Density - COVID-19 Cases (Total) - As Percentage of Population
New Zealand - 19 people/km^2 - 2,100 - 0.04%
Canada - 4 - 485,000 - 1.3
Russia - 9 - 2.7 million - 1.8
China - 146 - 94,500 - 0.007
USA - 34 - 16.7 million - 5.0
India - 411 - 9.9 million - 0.7
S. Korea - 516 - 45,400 - 0.09

I'm not seeing a pattern between population density and case numbers. I don't know how reliable China's or India's numbers are - China, because of their penchant for secrecy and India, because of health services infrastructure. Regardless, if they had numbers anywhere close to those of the US, as a percentage of population, there would be no way to cover them up.

The keys to keeping case numbers down:
- Strong, smart health measures, right from the start
- Strict border controls
- Public buy-in

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
- Strict border controls
- Public buy-in
Crazy to see how many all over the world that are not on board with this logic.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Soreness at the injection site is caused by swelling, aka inflammation, because the injected material was able to trip the initial alarms that an infection is taking place. The so-called Innate Immune System can rapidly react to viruses, bacteria, or their by-products, sound the alarm, and call in reinforcements from the immune system. This directly causes swelling, soreness, chills, fever, headache, and/or general malaise, typically for 1-3 days. These flu-like symptoms are direct evidence that the vaccine is working. In about 10-14 days, this initial reaction will lead to more effective and longer lasting immunity from the Adaptive (or Acquired) Immune System.

Despite the name "flu-like symptoms" this initial reaction to vaccination is not the flu. Anyone who claims that vaccines make them sick is wrong. This falsehood is repeated way too often. (A rare exception is those people who have severe allergic reactions to vaccinations.)

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Here is the COVID-19 Occurrence curve reflecting the numbers from the Moderna vaccine trial. For easy comparison, I re-posted the curve from the Pfizer trial below that from the Moderna trial. These two curves both show remarkably good results.

Edit: I forgot to say that I'd be greatly surprised if the Moderna vaccine was not also authorized for immediate use on an emergency basis.

Moderna Vaccine
1608220878762.png

Pfizer Vaccine
1608221211440.png

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I just got my 1st scheduled COVID-19 Vaccine today.

2nd scheduled shot will be in 21 days (they 17-21 days after 1st shot).

If I miss the 17-21 day 2nd vaccine, they say I would have to repeat the First Vaccine again. :eek:

Arm slightly sore for about 1 hour. But other than that, feels like the Flu vaccine shots.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This is disappointing:

>>>The majority of the doses of COVID-19 antibody drugs sent to states have not been used, Moncef Slaoui, head of Operation Warp Speed, the US government’s coronavirus vaccine effort, told CNBC. Around 65,000 doses of the drugs, which can help protect people at high risk of severe COVID-19 from developing serious cases of the disease, go out each week. Only 5 to 20 percent end up going to patients.<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This is also a little disappointing. I guess it's inevitable that there will be some issues, especially early on.

>>>With the Covid-19 vaccine in short supply, hospital pharmacists found themselves in the unexpected position of throwing away one in every six doses of the first Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines distributed this week in the United States.

The confusion came over labeling: The vaccine comes in vials labeled as containing enough for five doses. But pharmacists discovered that, after thawing and mixing the contents with a dilutent, each vial contained enough vaccine for six doses. Without explicit approval from the manufacturer, that final dose had to be discarded.<<<

T

trochetier

Audioholic
We've been over this - there may be some correlation between population density and COVID cases, but only a little. In New Zealand's case, they brought in tough restrictions right from the get-go and they are on isolated islands, which helps control their borders.

Population Density - COVID-19 Cases (Total) - As Percentage of Population
New Zealand - 19 people/km^2 - 2,100 - 0.04%
Canada - 4 - 485,000 - 1.3
Russia - 9 - 2.7 million - 1.8
China - 146 - 94,500 - 0.007
USA - 34 - 16.7 million - 5.0
India - 411 - 9.9 million - 0.7
S. Korea - 516 - 45,400 - 0.09

I'm not seeing a pattern between population density and case numbers. I don't know how reliable China's or India's numbers are - China, because of their penchant for secrecy and India, because of health services infrastructure. Regardless, if they had numbers anywhere close to those of the US, as a percentage of population, there would be no way to cover them up.

- Strict border controls
- Public buy-in
My Indian friends are saying the infection and death rates are at least 10X of what is reported. They are very worried about their families in Mumbai Delhi and elsewhere.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The panel of advisers to the FDA recommended that the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine be authorized for emergency use in adults during the pandemic. The vote was 20-0 with 1 abstention.

With (hopefully) greater availability of vaccine doses from 2 sources, we won't have to wait until mid March before the general population can get vaccinated.

1608246108595.png

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis