panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I knew someone who was called 'girl repellant'.
I knew a guy just like that in high school. He asked a girl once when a group of us were hanging out if "him staring at her made her uncomfortable". When she said yes, he said "still got it". I said "you know that's bad right?" No clue. Dude ended up dropping out of college because nobody liked him.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
From what I have read, there are several vaccine candidates already in clinical trials, and several more soon to begin. Those more or less simultaneous trials wouldn't have been planned if the FDA didn't expect them to finish. As soon as one vaccine gets approval, it sets the efficacy bar height for all the others to meet or beat. More than one vaccine may well be approved.
Yes, even with an effective vaccine, there will be Covid-19 cases until enough people get vaccinated.

And yes, there are ways to test blood from vaccinated people for signs of immunity. The easy way is to look for antibodies, proteins in the plasma, that bind to virus particles. More difficult and expensive, but doable, is to look for T cells, immune lymphocytes (white blood cells), that can either directly kill SARS-CoV-2 infected cells in the lab, or respond to them by dividing rapidly and secreting signalling proteins, cytokines. In the science of immunology, it is still debated whether antibody or T cell based immunity is better. There are good examples of effective vaccines with either type of immunity. Obviously, having both at the same time would be best.
Here's a recent article discussing both types of immunity. The article appears to be very consistent with your assessment.

>>>Recent studies show that some recovered patients who tested negative for coronavirus antibodies did develop T cells in response to their COVID-19 infection. While the studies are small and have yet to be reviewed by outside experts, some scientists now say that people who experience a mild illness, or no symptoms at all, from the new coronavirus, may be eliminating the infection through this T cell response.

The findings add to the evidence that an effective COVID-19 vaccine will need to prompt T cells to work in addition to producing antibodies, and may have implications for several treatments in development.<<<

The evidence (albeit minimal) suggesting that infection with common cold coronaviruses may provide some immunity to the COVID-19 intrigues me. From the article:

>>>There is some evidence that T cells developed after exposure to other coronaviruses that cause the common cold could help fight off the new virus, known as SARS-CoV-2.

A study led by the La Jolla Institute detected T cells that reacted to SARS-CoV-2 in about half of stored blood samples collected between 2015 and 2018, suggesting that the immune system cells developed after previous infection with circulating common cold coronaviruses, and that they might help protect against the new virus.

“It is a potentially encouraging piece of evidence,” Wherry said.<<

So, how can one go about intentionally getting infected with a common cold corona virus?

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Nowadays they snip, tie, and cauterize them.
...with a torch.
[/QUOTE]
For what it's worth, I asked 23andMe if they can tell me if I have the genomic segment inherited from Neanderthals that has been linked to COVID-19 risk (I had a 23andMe genetic test). The short answer is "no." Here's their actual response:

>>>It’s important to note that 23andMe does not offer a test on COVID-19 susceptibility or severity. While we are currently studying potential genetic associations with COVID-19, more work needs to be done to determine whether a genetic report related to COVID-19 is appropriate.

Recent studies suggest that a region on chromosome 3 may be associated with increased risk for severe COVID-19. However, that region is large and covers multiple genes, and it is not clear which specific genetic variant(s) may be driving the association. (The studies identified a “lead” variant — which may have been inherited from Neanderthals — but that lead variant is not necessarily causing the increased risk for COVID-19, as there could be another variant nearby that is actually more influential.) In addition, these studies are preliminary and not yet peer-reviewed, so more research and evaluation by the scientific community is needed to establish the validity of these associations.

Scientists are working hard to identify the factors associated with COVID-19 susceptibility and severity. Even if specific genetic variants are found to be associated with COVID-19 risk, the overall impact on a person's risk is likely to be small. If there is ever the ability to predict genetic risk at the population level, it will likely be across dozens or hundreds of variants across the genome. And genetics overall may still have less impact than non-genetic factors.

There are many non-genetic factors we already know can increase risk for severe disease, including older age and underlying health conditions like heart disease and diabetes. This means that, regardless of genetics, it's important that we all take steps to minimize our risk of being infected with the coronavirus. Learn more from the CDC.<<<

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That story is for real. I noticed it over a week ago in the Washington Post, and it was widely reported by NPR, and others news services. I believe that report has or will soon be published in The Lancet. Even Faux News picked it up.

The pathologist, Amy Rapkiewicz, the Chair of Pathology at NYU Medical Center reports the widespread presence of cells called megakaryocytes, associated with the widespread micro-clots. These cells are precursors to platelets, an important part of blood clot formation. One megakaryocyte can become many hundreds or thousands of platelets. Normally megakaryocytes are found only in the bone marrow and lungs. Only the platelets circulate widely throughout the body. But in Covid-19 autopsies, these cells are found nearly everywhere, in great numbers, especially where micro blood clots have formed. Essentially, infection by the SARS-C0V-2 virus makes normal platelet formation and function run amok, leading to blood clots in the lungs, peripheral blood vessels, brain, kidneys, and liver.

Learning how the virus can make megakaryocytes multiply rapidly and migrate out of bone marrow will be important because it will be a target for developing new drugs to block those processes. That may prevent deaths from Covid-19.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Edit: I see Swerd posted just before me. I was curious about his take on this.

What she actually said in the interview (on CNN) was: "the clotting was not only in the larger vessels but also in the smaller vessels, and this was dramatic because although we might have just expected it in the lungs, we found it in almost every organ that we looked at in our autopsy study."

The headline on the fox channel is "Pathologist found blood clots in ‘almost every organ’ during autopsies on COVID-19 patients." When I first read this I took it to mean that each patient had clots in every organ. However, in context, it's clear that the Dr. was emphasizing that the clots were not just in the lungs. Still, I don't think the report is necessarily complete crap just because a local fox channel carried an interview that was originally on CNN.

Later in the interview she mentions that they also found megakaryocyte bone marrow cells in numerous organs including the heart. If I'm understanding this correctly, she seems to be suggesting that these cells might be involved in clotting.

To the extent I understand it, this appears to be consistent with other reports:

>>>"There are genetic processes that we can target that would prevent platelets from being changed," Campbell says. "If we can figure out how COVID-19 is interacting with megakaryocytes or platelets, then we might be able to block that interaction and reduce someone's risk of developing a blood clot."<<<

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/06/200630125129.htm

Hopefully they will figure out how this happens and find treatments.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I knew a guy just like that in high school. He asked a girl once when a group of us were hanging out if "him staring at her made her uncomfortable". When she said yes, he said "still got it". I said "you know that's bad right?" No clue. Dude ended up dropping out of college because nobody liked him.
And I thought people went to college for their education.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Even fox* is carrying this story:

>>>Texas hospital says man, 30, died after attending 'COVID party'

“A Texas hospital says a patient who was a healthy young man died from coronavirus after attending a “COVID” party. . . . Just before the person died they looked at the nurse and they said, ‘I think I made a mistake. I thought it was a hoax but it's not,” she said, according to the station. <<<

On the one hand it's tempting to view this as fodder for a Darwinism award discussion, but it's also sad that people are so drawn to the hoax narrative that they act in ways that result in completely unnecessary suffering and death.

*Feel free to select your news outlet of choice, I picked fox for the covid skeptics who rely on fox.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

“A Texas hospital says a patient who was a healthy young man died from coronavirus after attending a “COVID” party. . . . Just before the person died they looked at the nurse and they said, ‘I think I made a mistake. I thought it was a hoax but it's not,” she said, according to the station. <<<

On the one hand it's tempting to view this as fodder for a Darwinism award discussion, but it's also sad that people are so drawn to the hoax narrative that they act in ways that result in completely unnecessary suffering and death.

*Feel free to select your news outlet of choice, I picked fox for the covid skeptics who rely on fox.
And:

Mother is a nurse, father a PA unproven treatments at home

highfigh

highfigh

I'm not sure how I would handle my kid going to a COVID party- that's a case of idiots thinking they're ten feet tall and bulletproof.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here's an article discussing possible antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) in both vaccines and monoclonal antibodies (mAbs). Opinions differ with regards to managing the risk of ADE:

>>>And ADE? “One has to address it,” Glenn says, but he points out that ADE is only a theoretical COVID-19 vaccine risk. “It’s hypothesized from animal studies,” he says. “I think the way forward is to take it seriously, do some animal studies, show you don’t have enhancement, monitor during the trial. My view is, we can’t let this issue keep us from getting to a vaccine that will save millions of lives.”

But Anne De Groot, CEO of EpiVax, argues for a more nuanced approach. EpiVax develops T-cell-directed vaccines, using computational tools to select viral T cell epitopes. The company found SARS-CoV-2 sequences that would appear human to T cell receptors.

This could be a problem for any vaccine. “The T cells either don’t respond as strongly, because they think that the [coronavirus] spike is human, or that sequence can trigger a regulatory T cell response,” says De Groot. Such T cells can interfere with beneficial antibody production and “you don’t get neutralizing antibodies, you get the kind of antibodies that actually potentially enhance infection.” In other words, ADE.<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure how I would handle my kid going to a COVID party- that's a case of idiots thinking they're ten feet tall and bulletproof.
Thinking you are invincible is a faulty perception of yourself. The guy in the news report said he thought the virus was a hoax. This is a faulty perception of the virus. If you believe the virus is a hoax you do not have to believe you are invincible In order to conclude you are not at risk.

To my mind this is a significant difference because those who promote misleading and inaccurate information about the virus are at least somewhat culpable for people’s incorrect perceptions of the virus.

Having said that, IMHO the hoax narrative is completely ridiculous and people who choose to believe it also bear some responsibility for their own choice not to educate themselves. You can’t fix stupid

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

1594582126169.png

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

After a period of time is is now appropriate for an update.

At this time political issues need to be overtaking the medical.

In contrast to Europe in particular the US has taken a totally reckless approach to the pandemic in large parts of the country.

There is no significant or useful Federal response at this time. If anything it is the opposite, with actions like closing Federal testing sites. Trump appears to be acting a part from 1984. When he now has anything to say, it appears to the exact opposite of the truth, where an individual would be far more likely in assuming the opposite of what the President says is in fact the truth. He has an echo chamber in individuals like the totally irresponsible Governor De Santis in Florida.

The effect of all this has and is predictably disastrous.

We will see an appalling mortality from this in the next few weeks.

This was all entirely preventable as we now know how to keep the pandemic to low numbers.

It has knock on effects. The State of Minnesota was until recently able to turn test around in less than 24 hours. Mine was posted in about 10 hours. Now because of supply chain shortages we are out to 6 days and rising. This makes doing major elective surgery safely, next to impossible.

These reckless leaders are guilty of multiple counts of reckless homicide, with far more to come. I dread to think what this will look like after the Universities return.

I hope a way can be found of eventually charging these leaders with reckless homicide, they are certainly guilty of it, whether charges can be brought or not.

On the medical front, there is a mutation confirmed in Arizona. So we now have strain AZ. It seems more infectious, there is no reliable data on change in virulence.

A follow up study out of Italy shows 87% of survivors have persisting symptoms. 47% have long term quality of life issues. The source is JAMA This makes this infection not like flu at all. This has been a major concern of mine. So we look set for excess mortality and morbidity for years to come.

This is the information on the vaccine front. A Chinese firm has copied the Oxford approach but will a different viral vector. They say it works and is safe, and are currently injecting the whole of their military. Only time will tell if this is reckless or not.

This is an article summarizing the state of play.

Here is an article addressing safety issues.

Vaccines are key, as they are our only ticket out of this disaster.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

In contrast to Europe in particular the US has taken a totally reckless approach to the pandemic in large parts of the country.

There is no significant or useful Federal response at this time. If anything it is the opposite, with actions like closing Federal testing sites. Trump appears to be acting a part from 1984. When he now has anything to say, it appears to the exact opposite of the truth, where an individual would be far more likely in assuming the opposite of what the President says is in fact the truth. He has an echo chamber in individuals like the totally irresponsible Governor De Santis in Florida.

This was all entirely preventable as we now know how to keep the pandemic to low numbers.

It has knock on effects. The State of Minnesota was until recently able to turn test around in less than 24 hours. Mine was posted in about 10 hours. Now because of supply chain shortages we are out to 6 days and rising. This makes doing major elective surgery safely, next to impossible.

These reckless leaders are guilty of multiple counts of reckless homicide, with far more to come. I dread to think what this will look like after the Universities return.

I hope a way can be found of eventually charging these leaders with reckless homicide, they are certainly guilty of it, whether charges can be brought or not.

On the medical front, there is a mutation confirmed in Arizona. So we now have strain AZ. It seems more infectious, there is no reliable data on change in virulence.

A follow up study out of Italy shows 87% of survivors have persisting symptoms. 47% have long term quality of life issues. The source is JAMA This makes this infection not like flu at all. This has been a major concern of mine. So we look set for excess mortality and morbidity for years to come.

This is the information on the vaccine front. A Chinese firm has copied the Oxford approach but will a different viral vector. They say it works and is safe, and are currently injecting the whole of their military. Only time will tell if this is reckless or not.

Honestly with the way the reopening got handled do you even think its realistic to open up schools in the US?

I've read a lot of articles on it and it almost seems impossible to set it up with safe social distancing

As you correctly pointed out maybe not if we had reopened correctly but with the virus spreading at the level it is now is it even possible?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Man I totally agree with you on the political issues but as much as I'm pissed with Trump and the current administrations the Left lately is just scaring the sh@$# out of me with some of the agendas there pushing

It's almost like it's more important to focus on being WOKE so to say then it is to focus on this pandemic which is really close to just trainwrecking this nation the platform has gotten away from focusing on this still most important issue

And is more focusing on defunding the police redoing institutions and the system to get rid of system racism

I feel like saying man if we don't get this virus back under control there isn't going to be a system STILL HERE for us to argue about it being racist

And all that does is help Trump it gives them a weapon an edge that they really desperately need right now

I wonder if this had gone down at any time other then an election year it might have been handled different

Because it's clearly been hijacked by politics it really sucks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis