M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
You do realize that you are presenting a logic loop?
If all generalizations are false (your statement), then this generalization must also be false.

If you set me up like that, I will take the bait.
Additionally, I do not believe that every generalization is false!
However, I do regret causing the distraction from your actual point.
My post was actually intended to be amusing.

A simple Venn diagram may help explain the situation:
Venn.PNG

You can probably figure out which group I'm in!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
From the article:

>>>Of the seven known human coronaviruses, four circulate widely, causing up to a third of common colds.<<<

I've wondered if one could generate at least some immunity to the virus that causes COVID-19 by intentionally infecting oneself with one of the other coronaviruses that cause common colds.

One possibility that was not mentioned the Scientific American article is weakening of the virus due to Muller's ratchet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muller's_ratchet).

I've seen a few articles discussing this in the context of COVID-19, but the articles I've see seem to be quite speculative at this point:

As I understand it, the gist of the nature article below is "it ain't that easy!"

>>>In conclusion, our intention has been to point out the generally unnoticed issue that a combination of increased mutation and reduced recombination may produce an accelerated fitness decline of viruses in which recombination is not negligible. This is a point that may be further considered by virologists in order to look for new strategies to cope with viral proliferation.<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
It appears to me that this trial of Anti-Spike SARS CoV-2 Monoclonal Antibodies will be open to people who are household contacts of a person who has tested positive:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04452318?term=Regeneron&cond=Covid-19&draw=2&rank=4

However, there are quite a few requirements for inclusion:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04452318?term=Regeneron&cond=Covid-19&draw=2&rank=4#contacts

Just an FYI in case anyone is interested in trying to get in or knows someone who might be interested.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
From the article:

>>>Of the seven known human coronaviruses, four circulate widely, causing up to a third of common colds.<<<

I've wondered if one could generate at least some immunity to the virus that causes COVID-19 by intentionally infecting oneself with one of the other coronaviruses that cause common colds.

As I understand it, the gist of the nature article below is "it ain't that easy!"
To go with your question of partial immunity- how are so many people asymptomatic? Do they suffer from colds frequently or occasionally?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
To go with your question of partial immunity- how are so many people asymptomatic? Do they suffer from colds frequently or occasionally?
Maybe it's more on a genetic level? Maybe some people have something that just causes them to be especially vulnerable to this virus not just underlying conditions and level of health

There's still a lot it sounds like they don't know but I'm wondering if that could be a possibility

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Epidemiologists agreeing with POTUS? o_O But then, even a stopped clock is right twice per day, too.

Schools and children are already disease spreading grounds. Sure, the kids might not get all that sick, but what about everyone else they come into contact with?

School starts here in about a month. We are nowhere near ready for that and we know damn well kids aren't going to keep a mask on their face or social distance at school. At least not kids as young as mine (3,5,6). They had them on when grandma visited yesterday for about 5 min and they were already picking at them and pulling at them.

It's funny to see them say to have class outside and open windows. That'll work in the upper US and Canada, but we can't do that in TX or AZ and many other states. Too damn hot. I got a heat advisory saying it was going to be up to 109 yesterday WITH high humidity. No thanks.

The worst part is my 5yo is looking forward to her first year in school, but won't get to go in person (unless something magical happens) and it sucks to have to tell her that. Class sizes here are already packed because of our exploding population, the building isn't big enough to distance kids even if they would cooperate.

Man this whole thing just sucks.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Schools and children are already disease spreading grounds. Sure, the kids might not get all that sick, but what about everyone else they come into contact with?

School starts here in about a month. We are nowhere near ready for that and we know damn well kids aren't going to keep a mask on their face or social distance at school. At least not kids as young as mine (3,5,6). They had them on when grandma visited yesterday for about 5 min and they were already picking at them and pulling at them.

It's funny to see them say to have class outside and open windows. That'll work in the upper US and Canada, but we can't do that in TX or AZ and many other states. Too damn hot. I got a heat advisory saying it was going to be up to 109 yesterday WITH high humidity. No thanks.

The worst part is my 5yo is looking forward to her first year in school, but won't get to go in person (unless something magical happens) and it sucks to have to tell her that. Class sizes here are already packed because of our exploding population, the building isn't big enough to distance kids even if they would cooperate.

I hear ya, man. I don't know what's best either. I think it will depend a great deal on each area and the prevalence of infections as to how this should unfold.

3, 5 & 6...are you building a ball team? :D

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
What did we ever do before air conditioning? I grew up in El Paso back in the stone age and two of my schools did not have it - we just opened the windows and tried not to sweat too much... I'm sure the kids'll survive. Teachers, not so much.
1594314092246.png

Funny memory: My high school sweetheart went to a different school, which was pretty new (and air conditioned). She complained one day about one of her classrooms being, "So hot - the AC barely works!" I gave her my best withering stare and told her to cry on someone else's shoulder...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Funny memory: My high school sweetheart went to a different school, which was pretty new (and air conditioned). She complained one day about one of her classrooms being, "So hot - the AC barely works!" I gave her my best withering stare and told her to cry on someone else's shoulder...
"The name is Romance...Lance Romance". :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
According to info from our microbiologists/epidemiologists in Canada, children tolerate and easily get through Covid-19, but they are not really strong vectors of propagation for this virus. That's why they should return to school without distanciation in September for the benefit of all.

Last edited:
Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall

I read a really good suggestion somewhere this morning... let middle and high schoolers distance learn, because they won't be demanding of their parents' time/attention. Then use their buildings / facilities for low grades so that the classes can allow better spreading.

Not a perfect solution, but no perfect solutions exist. I can see where it would alleviate the some of the burden on teachers and parents though.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Maybe it's more on a genetic level? Maybe some people have something that just causes them to be especially vulnerable to this virus not just underlying conditions and level of health

There's still a lot it sounds like they don't know but I'm wondering if that could be a possibility
I have to think diet and general health have something to do with it, though- they came out early and said that Vitamin D has an effect, but not knowing this was coming made it impossible to test the theory because, as you know, tests need to show cause & effect. I know people who have a cold more than once every year, whether they need it or not, yet I and others don't get a cold most years- I haven't had one in over two years. If I had anything, it lasted a couple of days, at most. So far, I haven't had COVID symptoms, even though I know someone who was in the hospital for ten days with it. I asked Aurora and Ascencion Health Care if I could be tested and after answering their questions, they told me I didn't have it but I pressed for more info because I wanted to know, not assume or guess. I was finally able to be tested yesterday and will find out in about a week.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis