Considering a new AVR

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Well that's what I mean. I was saying the savings vs. new if small, always buy new.... If DRAMATICALLY cheaper then used is ok. But if it's in any way close in price, buy new on sale

Especially receivers, I don't have any confidence that a receiver is going to last forever. Speakers, should last longer than I want them. Power AMPS seem to have a nicer life. But something about AVRs, they almost always have problems. I really don't know what the answer is as far as buying top of the line or buying middle of the road and just assume it's a 3 year purchase... We'll see I just bought a Denon 4700 for one set up and a Marantz 6013 for another in the past year new on sale and I'm damn sure hoping they last.. I'm feeling less and less confident about my 3 year warranty after reading this thread!!!
You got a nice receiver! Congrats! I have the Yamaha 3060. Purchased it new. It's performed flawless for the past 3 years. I love it. Keeping my fingers crossed it lasts for years to come.

Just make sue your Denon gets plenty of ventilation, I hear they can get toasty. These complex AVRs are a gamble anyway. Lots of things stuffed into one box.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
LOL about that Denon terminology :rolleyes:. Denon's owner's manuals were probably written by Japanese engineers who knew little or no English. The Japanese I've worked with all were good scientists, but spoke & wrote English in a strange way. I don't know Japanese grammar, but they began a sentence with the middle of an idea, and then went out in both directions. I had to think/listen very hard just to understand them. Once written these manuals were shipped to someplace like Singapore for translation to English by guys who knew nothing about AVRs. In contrast, the Yamaha manuals I've seen were written in good English.
I'm pretty certain that my center and rear speakers can be driven by 105 watts. I had a much older Denon AVR that produced 70 wpc, and it drove those speakers fine.
I probably posted it here sometime before, but ...
My favorite is the first sentence of item 5)!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I have a Denon 4520 that's been in daily use for almost 7 years now. A 3808 (circa 2007 IIRC) I bought used a coupla years ago from another member here who used it regularly since it was new; it doesn't get used daily by me but still gets a fair amount of use in my workshop and for the deck's speakers. I use fans on both, more because they've got limited open space above them as currently installed....and never hurts.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I probably posted it here sometime before, but ...
My favorite is the first sentence of item 5)!
Print out a whole mess of copies of this and hand them out next year at the 2021 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally :rolleyes:.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This is a follow-up on my AVR replacement.

My old AVR, a B&K AVR507 had developed a case of terminal corrupted software-itis. All the circuit boards, power supply, and amplifier output sections seemed alright, but the software controlling everything had taken too many hits. It became unusable, and B&K no longer exists. It's now a heavy piece of junk.

I purchased a new Denon AVR-X4500H, and installed it the weekend after Thanksgiving. It works as promised, but I'm still learning what all it's capabilities are. I'm having fun exploring Internet Radio. The sound qualities of Internet Radio vs. local FM broadcast are similar.

The new AVR is hooked up to a BluRay player, an older non-ARC TV set, an old AR turntable plus phono preamp, and an FM antenna. The front left & right channel audio signals are sent from the AVR's preamp output jacks to an external 2-channel amp.

In the process of installing things, I used two new HDMI cables, an existing optical audio cable from the TV, an existing RCA interconnect pair from the phono preamp, another existing RCA pair to connect the AVR to the external amp, and the antenna cable that runs to an existing attic FM antenna. In addition, I used the AVR's Wifi rabbit ears to connect to my router, a short distance away in the next room.

I mention all this because during the installation I removed 9 different cables:
  • Two 10' long very bulky Component video cables (sent 5.1 BluRay audio to old non-HDMI AVR)
  • A 3' long HDMI cable (sent video from BR player to TV)
  • One 6' long Coaxial digital cable (sent PCM digital audio from BR player to old AVR)
  • An optical-to-coaxial converter box plus wall wart power supply (TV digital audio out was optical only)
  • One short Composite video cable (to complete the connection of TV digital audio to coaxial input on AVR)
  • One 6' long Composite video cable (don't ask)
  • One 6' long S video cable (don't ask)
  • something else that I can't remember
I didn't take a photo of this large & bulky pile of cable, but trust me, it was a big pile. That was the unforeseen benefit of finally getting an AVR fully capable of HDMI connections. I stuffed them into the box of old audio and video cables that I once needed.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure many here have piles of old cables. I think I have two full tubs of them tucked away around here.:p

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm sure many here have piles of old cables. I think I have two full tubs of them tucked away around here.:p
I’m definitely on of those that has piles of old cables hidden under my bed in several boxes.
Why do we save them? One day, I may need one of those old analog audio or video cables. Yeah, right. I've gotten rid of most of my old electronic gear, but not the cables I used to hook them up.

In that box, I even found an old cable that was a pair of RCA audio cables ganged with a Composite video cable. You never know, I might need to hook up a VCR one day – if I still had a VCR.

Maybe there's a market for vintage cables ;) :rolleyes:. You know, already broken in.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I think I need more rooms. I have about 17 speakers, two old subs and three receivers collecting dust as well. Actually, I think I just need help.:confused: But, You guys knew that already.;) Old speaker wire helped me hold up some sagging tree branches once.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis