Considering a new AVR

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
FWIW they don't use the same box for new units as refurbs....
I have both the Denon 4500 Refurb box and the new 4700 box. They aren't much different. In addition, the box used to return the 4500 the 1st time from PanurgyOEM was thinner than either Denon box.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have both the Denon 4500 Refurb box and the new 4700 box. They aren't much different. In addition, the box used to return the 4500 the 1st time from PanurgyOEM was thinner than either Denon box.
They aren't much different true, but they do point out they are different to prospective customers to avoid problems in that regard....I remember the refurb boxes were using a bit different foam inserts too as well as different exterior graphics....but probably sourced separately to begin with in different countries....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am generally a fan of refurbs from Accessories4Less as I have bought several units from them and not had a single issue. At this point, if I bought one hat arrived DOA and had to eat the entire cost with no recourse, I would still be ahead of the game!
However, I would add a couple of thoughts after reading other people's woes:
1) The real benefit of refurbs is the cost savings. If you were buying in February, then, traditionally, you would be looking at MSRP pricing (or close) on a new unit vs a deep discount on the refurb unit! Right now, (if still in stock) last years models are being nicely discounted and the refurb may only save $100-200. That may still be worth it (again, I have a perfect record of refurbs without any issues from A4L), but, certainly, it is not as compelling as saving $400-500. I always check Amazon and Crutchfield for open box returns (with 3 year warranty, which is also offered on several refurb units from A4L). I have seen a new open box unit from Amazon at only $50 more than the refurb and went with the open box (which also had the option for a 30 day return with return shipping paid via Amazon Prime).
2) Panurgy is apparently a sad place to send your gear for repair. I am pretty sure that you have alternatives within driving distance which you would want to use rather than paying to ship to Panurgy, but check the Denon website for local manufacturer authorized warranty service centers. I had the HDMI board on a Marantz NR-1605 go bad after 10-12 months. I drove into the belly of the beast that is Atlanta and one week later drove back to pick up a replacement unit that Marantz sent to the repair center! I considered that good service!
VPMS has a very concerning experience and I wonder if Covid-19 is influencing parts availability and they have some stupid internal performance metric that if a unit stay in their facility for over a certain time the repair guys get demerits (I have seem this type of BS happen too often). Any way you look at it they seem to be a crappy place and it is a shame that Denon/Marantz use them as their mail-in repair location.
Not that it would reduce ADTG's justified frustration, but I do believe that his unfortunate experience with his Denon pre-pro is highly influenced by the fact that he bought a top of the line unit from Denon that Denon decided to discontinue production without any updated model to replace it. My speculation on that was it was essentially an "experimental model" (no other manufacturers have attempted to replicate the capabilities of that unit) that turned out to be inherently problematic after several years. His unit lasted 8 years, but Denon did not decide to maintain stock of parts inventory to repair units that far into their service life. ADTG certainly has a legit beef, but I am a little slower than he is to consider his experience representative of what to expect with a typical AVR.

I am generally a fan of Yamaha as a company and for me the reason I choose Denon is the capability of Audyssey with the App that allows you to set it to only work below say 300Hz - in other words, only target room effects. Also, it seems that you do pay a premium for Yamaha's better units and the discounts are not so commonly available as for Denon.

That's my 2 cents on this.
If you feel that your room has no significant issues,
The AVP-A1 was one example. My other example was a lower end Denon, I think a X1000 series. No Sound, which is similar to the AVP-A1. It was under warranty. I called Denon. No local repair shops. Denon told me to ship to Panurgy with my own money. My Denon came back. Powered it up. Still no SOUND. SMOKE came out and smelled like burning. I called Denon. They wanted me to spend more money to ship to Panurgy. Kidding me? Screw that. I threw the Denon away.

And then don’t forget my other experiences with buying 3 refurbished Denons (AVP-A1 and two AVR-4xxx series) from a Denon Authorized Refurbished retailer. They told me all these DOA came from Panurgy.

So my AVP-A1 was the last straw, but it wasn’t the ONLY bad experience. Obviously they don’t care whether you bought a $7500 AVP or cheap AVR.

But, hey, there’s always a silver lining. I became an audio dealer ONLY because I got screwed by another dealer. And I became a Yamaha dealer ONLY because of my experience with Denon and Panurgy.

When life gives you lemons... :D

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Some people live and die by the specs and nothin' wrong with that but that doesn't mean the model with the best specs is the one you really want in your setup. You can drive two sports cars with comparable specs and have the time of your life in one and find driving the other similar to reining in an ornery horse. It''ll get you where you need to go but it won't be much fun. Some like to set it and forget it and some like to tinker. Some like form over function and show them off. Some hide them away in a rack and don't care what it looks like anyway. Certainly everybody wants them to be reliable and you never know what somebody subjected their unit to when they complain that it stopped working. Maybe their son's best friend brought his sub box in from his trunk to see if your AVR could push it. Maybe you didn't set a volume max and Nana turned it up too high for too long so she could hear Judge Judy scream at idiots. You kinda' roll the dice on used units and hope for the best. You also expect care to be taken when turning it in for repairs. But, in a country where those in charge don't give a s#%t and the kid at the counter can't make change, we might be expecting too much of anybody anymore. I had good luck with two Denons purchased from private parties over ebay and a used Onkyo on the shelf at Bestbuy. I was willing to take a risk at low cost but cringe at the idea of spending big money even on new items. Hell, if Costco carried every make and model I'd try them all and keep the one I really liked. I understand not wanting to deal with outfits that have a bad service rep. I've sworn off places for the way they HANDLED a problem more than just for the problem itself. I used to handle parts for cars. If there are no more new parts out there, you can find yourself driving down an old dirt road in the middle of nowhere to meet up with a prospector who has a bumper for a f#%kin' El Camino. True story. Limited numbers of unreliable models of anything will have limited parts supplies. Sell a s#%t load of a good product and you'll make a s#t load of parts for them. It's been awhile, but before I moved on from cars you could still get brand new OEM parts for an 80's Volvo 240. Try finding new parts for a f#%kin' Fiero. :eek:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The guy simply asked which AVR and this has turned into a Cluster Fuk

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Before jumping into the Denon boat, have a look at the picture.
Guy isn't happy wiith his newly bought X4500H avr.

I have had the same experience, and even the $20 app failed to fix the issue which is the sound.

I don't know why people are recommending the Denon over the Yamaha.

If possible, do a demo between both the yamaha and the denon.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, I'll remember not to mention it if I replace my Onkyo with a Denon and don't like it cuz' the Yamaha people will be waiting to convert me. Are they with the LDS or the JW's?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Before jumping into the Denon boat, have a look at the picture.
Guy isn't happy wiith his newly bought X4500H avr.

I have had the same experience, and even the $20 app failed to fix the issue which is the sound.

I don't know why people are recommending the Denon over the Yamaha.

If possible, do a demo between both the yamaha and the denon.

So he's another doofus like you who believes in brand "sound signatures"?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, are insults back on the table? where's that f#%kin' killdozzer?:D

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
So he's another doofus like you who believes in brand "sound signatures"?
I thought that all the audiophiles have a good hearing, but my perception has been completely wrong about them, or perhaps there are some exceptions like the one quoting my posts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought that all the audiophiles have a good hearing, but my perception has been completely wrong about them, or perhaps there are some exceptions like the one quoting my posts.

You should have your ears checked perhaps.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

Nope, and we know our hearing is not perfect and is getting worse as we age.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Just called Livestock Disposal to come pick up this dead horse. Hope they get here before it pops. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis