connecting sub to DVD

K

Kurt

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hello !

I have a simple question. Recently purchased DVD player and now i'm looking for affordable solution to make use of my old good shelf speakers from burned out audio center.

I have noticed some cheap 5.1 home theater systems do not require receiver cause speakers and sub are connected to DVD player directly.
I have also seen some woofers with up to 4 red/black connectors on the back I suppose for connecting speakers to.

My question follows:
Is there an option to purchase the sub, connect speakers to it and then connect sub directly to DVD, without receiver ??
If yes, can I connect any sub directly?

This is a very basic audio system &amp; I dont want to invest in receiver just to listen to music once per week. Obviously quality sound is preferred and I probably would buy receiver later, however I want to start using the system right now and only sub is on my current budget.

Kurt

Thanks for your time</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Speakers need an amplifier to drive them. A DVD player doesn't usually have an amp. The systems you saw, commonly called &quot;Home Theater in a Box&quot; (HTIB) most likely had an amp and DVD integrated on one chassis -- but it's unlikely that your DVD player purchased by itself does. The only kind of sub you could run directly from the DVD player would be a &quot;powered&quot; sub, which has an amp built-in. I do not know of a powered sub with outputs for main speakers, however. The connectors you saw were probably inputs. The built in amp usually just powers the sub. So you still need to power your main speakers.

If you just have two main speakers (no center channel or rear surrounds) you could look for an integrated stereo amp for the main speakers. Otherwise, you'll have to bite the bullet &amp; get a reciever. Actually, a reciever might be cheaper! Integrated amps are part way down the road to separates and aimed at audiophiles, and thus tend to be more expensive.

One possible cheap solution: Radio Shack has a simple, cheap integrated stereo amp for about $60. I think it's 30 watts per channel or something.</font>

K

Kurt

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>You are right Rip Van Woofer. Looking back I probably was conufsed by some home theater but
I am suspicious about their quality so i now see no other way then to buy receiver.
Thanks for helping!
Cheers</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis