confused on atmos system

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
Well my budget on receiver was 500 to 700. I got the denon on Ebay brand new for 599.
Atmos ceiling speakers were $250 for pair.
I already have Andrew Jones FR CC FL.
All I need now is the rear speakers which shouldn't be a whole lot.
I think all the major $$$ been spent already.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
Guys do you see any issues with me placing 2 subwoofers beside the couch one on left and one on right side then put rear surround speakers with their stands on top if the subs.
The rear speaker stands are 36" tall and with placing them on top of the subs puts them at 52-54" high that is 6" above the sitting position of my ears.
So basically this is a 2 part question
1. 2 subs slightly behind and beside on both sides of the couch
2. Can I use subs to raise height on rear speakers by placing them on top of subs. So it will be 16" of sub then 36" of stand then 12" of speaker.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
There is a side night stand in the corner where the flower vais is I can remove and place the sub there.
It will sit on my left about 1-1,5feet behind and 2ft beside me. While other sun can ho where extra chairs are stacked.
I can raise the height of the rear speakers by placing them on top of the subs.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
One other thing, I'd there a difference in running only 1 rca subwoofer wire from receiver to 1st sub then using high output ports on back of sub1 to high input to sub2 than running 2 rca wires from back of receiver to 2 separate subs.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
Manufacturers says I can chain them with output to input but wanted to know which would be better. 2 separate rca cables from receiver to subs or 1 rca to 1st sub and then chain.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’m not really a fan of stacking the equipment like that. The sub is going to vibrate some, even if it is pretty inert cabinet/ sturdy build.

Are you measuring to center of tweeter, for your measurement? I put mine up that high because I sit very upright, and I’m tall... in that couch I’d be surprised if your ears were any more than 39-40”.

Lastly, if you want to improve that sound quality, you should pull that couch forward, and get the surrounds a little more behind your LP.

I think you should experiment with sub placement... one near you, I still like the behind the couch idea as a possible spot, and another in a different location. You can use the near side (photoperspective) end-table type placement. But subs can be finicky if you don’t find good spots for them. ;) That’s why you hear about the subwoofer crawl, but if you’re willing to spend money on subs, learn about how the low frequency acoustics interact with your room s little, and find the places the subs sound best! ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Guys do you see any issues with me placing 2 subwoofers beside the couch one on left and one on right side then put rear surround speakers with their stands on top if the subs.
The rear speaker stands are 36" tall and with placing them on top of the subs puts them at 52-54" high that is 6" above the sitting position of my ears.
So basically this is a 2 part question
1. 2 subs slightly behind and beside on both sides of the couch
2. Can I use subs to raise height on rear speakers by placing them on top of subs. So it will be 16" of sub then 36" of stand then 12" of speaker.
1. Yeah that would probably work. Be prepared to try a couple spots but that should give you pretty nice tactile response.
2. Depends. If you’re right and it puts the tweeter at 6" above your ears that will help a little if you have others on the couch. Should help fire over there heads and IMO that’s a good thing. It sure about stacking but I guess... If you do like that arrangement for the surrounds but have to move the subs you’ll have to figure out a way to raise them up. Cinder/building blocks or build a box etc.
One other thing, I'd there a difference in running only 1 rca subwoofer wire from receiver to 1st sub then using high output ports on back of sub1 to high input to sub2 than running 2 rca wires from back of receiver to 2 separate subs.
Iirc( and I could be wrong) the 3400 has dual sub outs and audyssey will treat each separately so you’ll want to run separate cables. Then each can be treated individually and then eq’d together.

I’m not really a fan of stacking the equipment like that. The sub is going to vibrate some, even if it is pretty inert cabinet/ sturdy build.

Are you measuring to center of tweeter, for your measurement? I put mine up that high because I sit very upright, and I’m tall... in that couch I’d be surprised if your ears were any more than 39-40”.

Lastly, if you want to improve that sound quality, you should pull that couch forward, and get the surrounds a little more behind your LP.

I think you should experiment with sub placement... one near you, I still like the behind the couch idea as a possible spot, and another in a different location. You can use the near side (photoperspective) end-table type placement. But subs can be finicky if you don’t find good spots for them. ;) That’s why you hear about the subwoofer crawl, but if you’re willing to spend money on subs, learn about how the low frequency acoustics interact with your room s little, and find the places the subs sound best! ;)
Hey Ryan! Wazzupi!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Bumpin The Roots: Do you Want More, reading the Weems Speaker Design Book! How you livin up in winterland?!
Nice!
Well it’s currently 7°f and looking at a high of 28° tomorrow. Then cold again with highs at 0 for a couple days then the teens for a few more. It’s been fairly mild this year. Much better than about 3 years ago we went 50 consecutive days without getting above 0°. You have no idea how much I loathe, I mean LOATHE winter.
How’s things? Btw, 6012 should e here Thursday. I’m getting NO work done!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nice!
Well it’s currently 7°f and looking at a high of 28° tomorrow. Then cold again with highs at 0 for a couple days then the teens for a few more. It’s been fairly mild this year. Much better than about 3 years ago we went 50 consecutive days without getting above 0°. You have no idea how much I loathe, I mean LOATHE winter.
How’s things? Btw, 6012 should e here Thursday. I’m getting NO work done!
Nice, on that 6012! I like mine; sounds good, performs well now that I got it repaired! I hope you're happy with yours! :)
Winter. Heard that... Its our wet season here... dreary, but needed! But at least its not 7! f that sh!t.
Yeah, I'm still fiddling with my gear... think the advice I got recently on subwoofer distances(setting ~4' extra distance away) is paying off. Sounds tighter, maybe placebo, but considering I'm dong it the hard way right now, all by ear, its sounding ever so slightly more real! ;) Gonna run Audyssey as an experiment once I get my room layout finalized... maybe later this week after I finish working on my sub platforms (mounting some inert concrete pads on outriggers, just have to epoxy the threaded inserts into the pads and let it cure)... move a few pieces of furniture around once that's done, and I'll be in audio heaven!
I'll get some photos up when everything's in place.
Cheers and Stay Warm!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice, on that 6012! I like mine; sounds good, performs well now that I got it repaired! I hope you're happy with yours! :)
Winter. Heard that... Its our wet season here... dreary, but needed! But at least its not 7! f that sh!t.
Yeah, I'm still fiddling with my gear... think the advice I got recently on subwoofer distances(setting ~4' extra distance away) is paying off. Sounds tighter, maybe placebo, but considering I'm dong it the hard way right now, all by ear, its sounding ever so slightly more real! ;) Gonna run Audyssey as an experiment once I get my room layout finalized... maybe later this week after I finish working on my sub platforms (mounting some inert concrete pads on outriggers, just have to epoxy the threaded inserts into the pads and let it cure)... move a few pieces of furniture around once that's done, and I'll be in audio heaven!
I'll get some photos up when everything's in place.
Cheers and Stay Warm!
Thanks brother, I’ll stay in as much as I can.

You definitely need to share pics of that project. Sounds awesome. Glad your getting the system reeled in. Curious how you’ll like audyssey off/on. Have you thought about the rabbit hole known as rew? Lmao...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis