confused on atmos system

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
Hey guy
i am very new on this subject so please excuse my stupid questions.
I am trying to setup a theatre room.

This is what i want and have.

I have 2 front free standing 3 way floor speakers. 100w 8ohm
i have a center speaker 3 way 100w 8ohm
i have 6 ceiling 3 way speakers 100w 8ohm each.

i am confused on what receiver i need to drive this setup.
I want ATMOS system.

I have looked into may receivers that are capable of doing so but do i need 7.1.4 or 9.2.4...
I want the front 2 free standing speakers as my front Left and Right and center speaker.
the 2 pair of ceiling speakers to be ATMOS surround and (LAST) 1 pair of ceiling speaker to be rear/back speakers.

What reciever type will handle something like this.
Also i see 7.2 receivers that have enough speaker +- ports to runs all 9 speaker plus 2 subs but 7 are zone 1 and 2 are zone 2. can zone 1 and 2 put together can make it into a 9.2.4 atmos system?
I know i maybe wrong on many accounts please guide me through this process.
I really appreciate all the help .... Thank you in advance

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't have Atmos myself but from what I've gathered around here is that having your surrounds and rear surrounds in the ceiling will negate the effects of another set of ceiling speakers for the Atmos channels. Can you not bring the surrounds down to at least in-wall positions?

Yes some avrs have more processing channels than amp channels so read descriptions carefully; those that have 7 channels of amps but 9 channels of processing (or 9 and 11, or 11 and 13 etc) will require an external amp to fill the gap. Zones aren't for this purpose, that's for another set (or 2 or 3) of stereo (L/R channels) speakers in other rooms; you need the proper number of amp/processing channels you want in the main zone (which is normally what they show as a feature). Additionally using zones if you've maxed out any built-in amp options (which for a 3rd zone may not exist in the avr at all) will also require external amps.

Citing number of drivers (i.e. 3 way) and a wattage rating don''t tell us much....better to cite specific make/models of speakers for advice as well as your desired listening levels; nominal impedance can be helpful for matching to avrs but keep in mind the speaker's rating is just that, a nominal rating (the impedance changes with frequency both above and below a nominal rating),and they're not always correctly rated either. Speaker sensitivity is a useful spec, tho.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry to tell ya...it’s not gonna work.
What is the layout of the ceiling speakers? Maybe a traditional in ceiling(still not ideal) implementation could work. Or one pair as a second zone. Basically you need to have a space between the bed layer and height layer for atmos to work. The way I follow your description will not allow for atmos.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry to tell ya...it’s not gonna work.
What is the layout of the ceiling speakers? Maybe a traditional in ceiling(still not ideal) implementation could work. Or one pair as a second zone. Basically you need to have a space between the bed layer and height layer for atmos to work. The way I follow your description will not allow for atmos.
Or that $4,000 Denon flagship that uses 6 Atmos ceiling speakers? LOL :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or that $4,000 Denon flagship that uses 6 Atmos ceiling speakers? LOL :)
Yeah that was my first thought (the 8500) or the new Emotiva or some other much more expensive units.....but he'd still need a bed layer to start with.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
Sorry guys I have no idea what I am doing so please care with me.
Leta start from scratch.
Right now I have old 5.1 pioneer basic Dolby setup.
FR,FL, C and 2 surround.
I like to do Atmos.
Here is my odd shape room, let's start there and see what is best for me. I really appreciate your help and time.
Screenshot_20190111-223122_Samsung Notes.jpg

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
Seating is in odd U shape design
Left sofa has a window behind it and right sofa has open space behind it.
3 seat sofa across from TV has a wall behind it. I haven't been in attic to see if I can access that wall for in wall rear speakers.
So from the layout I have all front speakers and center are free standing plus 2 subs.
I may be able to run wires over the attic and back behind 3 seat sofa for rear speakers.
That puts me at 5.2 system. Now I like to add atmos.
Either 4 in ceiling or 2 portable on top of front floor speakers. To make it 5.2.4 or 5.2.2.
Your advice?

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
Marantz sr 7009 what I have in mind for my receiver.
I haven't bought any other speakers except for the Bose FR FL C and 2 surround I already own.
I am willing to buy complete new system and speakers but like I said I have no idea what I am doing so I need your help design an atmos type setup.
Please guide me in right direction. Thank you

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the rear wall isn't all that great for surrounds at all, let alone rear surrounds and that would be if you move the sofa off that back wall some but your drawing isn't exactly to scale I assume :). Do you want good coverage for each sofa? Surrounds go more to the sides but that is somewhat a odd room as you're mentioning. Pics might help. Personally I've never been tempted to do the atmos on top of the speaker thing, no desire at all.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
I'll get some.pics for you guys yo look at.
Back sofa has about 2 feet behind till to the wall.
Left sofa has 3 to 4 feet behind it to window. Right sofa has almost 15 feet of room behind it.
I am mainly fosucing on atmos system covering a general area mostly covering the 3 seater sofat directly across from TV. 2 love seats left and right of the TV are not my focus of sound system.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
So these are old pic from realtor website before I bought the house.
But room is the same with a few changes.
Pool table is removed it's a small gym there.
Single seater recliner is changed to love sofa.
ISm7rhn67jwxwj.jpg
IS1buxivatjv1yb.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Jumped on that boat too! Thanks William!

@bnumair , do you regularly use all that seating?

I would say, move that love seat out of the far alcove to the left side and replace it with the chair... pull your front main couch forward a bit so you're closer to the TV... And start by getting one set of proper surrounds set up for a 5.x.4 system. Seems like you could pull that off with just a little clever furniture placement.

Just an idea!

Sometimes audio fits in, and sometimes you have to help it along. I think you have space to make it work, but you just have to... help it out. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow. Ok. Just real quickly...
Move the main couch forward a couple feet. Move the bose(read replace lol) to the sides and just behind the couch(can post pics and links if you want). Get the center channel off of the receiver(should never do that) and move the receiver on to the glass shelf while also getting that sub out of the entertainment center. Move the sub to a corner. Also get the CC as close to the bottom of the screen as you can.
Gotta go. What are those mains?

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
The mains are pioneer Andrew Jones 3 way 100w each.
I can move the couch a little and get the Bose speakers behind it. I'll move the center off the receiver and get the sub out of the entertainment center.
I'll make those changes and then go from there.
Thank you for your help

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis