confused on atmos system

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
Ok so if I make those changes,
Then how can I attain 5.2.4 atmos system?

I looked in Marantz sr 7009
Can someone please verify that this reciever can let me do 5.2.4 atmos with 5.2 on floor and .4 in ceiling?
Thank You

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The mains are pioneer Andrew Jones 3 way 100w each.
I can move the couch a little and get the Bose speakers behind it. I'll move the center off the receiver and get the sub out of the entertainment center.
I'll make those changes and then go from there.
Thank you for your help

this is what you’ll be looking to achieve. You definitely don’t have room for a 7ch base layer but you can probably get away with 5.x.4.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Start by getting your 5.1 set up and dialed in. :)
I agree with William on replacing the Bose. Not trying to be a smart@$$, but they aren't helping. They do produce sound, which is good. ;)
Get you're bed layer working and install the ceiling speakers if you want atmos. Or... HelL. install two of those ceiling speaker as your L/R surrounds in the wall behind you. Still, pull your couch forward 'cos you need some space from the speakers.
For the Atmos, if you can't or will not pull your couch so far in the room that you can have 2' from edge of that slope, yet you still want to do Atmos, add top front about 2' infront of your LP, and do Front Height on the top of the slope in front of you, aimed at LP.

Best would be Top Front ~2' in front and overhead, and Top Rear, ~2' behind and overhead (neither on that slope).

That would be my recipe. :cool:

Last edited:
B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
Yes that's exactly what I want 5 floor speakers
FL CC FR and 2 surround back, 2 subs 1 on each side of the entertainment center then 4 ceiling atmos speakers.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
I have 1 for now its 10" 100w.
All this equipment I have can and rather be replaced so I can get new receiver that can do 5.2.4 atmos system.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
How big of a sub do you thin in this room will I need?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes that's exactly what I want 5 floor speakers
FL CC FR and 2 surround back, 2 subs 1 on each side of the entertainment center then 4 ceiling atmos speakers.
You'll want to keep your sub strategy open. front loading the room isn't the best. maybe one up fron, and one behind could work.
But more likely you'll need to experiment to find the best placements.

Check out the Crawling for Bass video here, as well as other info on the subwoofer crawl on google. It's crude, but if you open your ears a bit and use your brain, you'll hear the subtle differences as you make your way around. I learned a lot about my room and subwoofers doing the crawl!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hmmm. I’m looking at that rear slanted wall and wondering if 5.2.2 would end up being better. If you went too high on it, then the rear heights would be too far forward. Gonna have to think on that one. Might do som doodling...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How big of a sub do you thin in this room will I need?
2-3 15". It's a big room.
Subs work on Room Volume rather than Distance From like speakers do.
That said, if you are fortunate, you can do two near-field placements which will cover your main seating area real nice.
Like I said, one likely behind the couch, perhaps corner loaded at left from your seat. Maybe another end-table style beside your main couch, and into the room. a little.
So, check out Hsu VTF15H Mk2, SVS PB 3000 and PB 4000, Outlaw X-13, Monoprice Monolith 15", and Rythmik FV15s.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
I am also leaning to 5.2.2 due to the room and it's odd shape slanting walls.
If I move the couch about 1-2ft away from wall I can get either in wall rear surround speakers or free standing while the atmos 1 pair speakers will be just above my head about 6"-12" above and behind me due to the slant I wont be able to go back any more.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
If I go with 5.2.2 I can probably get away with a receiver that is atmos and 7.2?
Any suggestions on a receiver?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I am also leaning to 5.2.2 due to the room and it's odd shape slanting walls.
If I move the couch about 1-2ft away from wall I can get either in wall rear surround speakers or free standing while the atmos 1 pair speakers will be just above my head about 6"-12" above and behind me due to the slant I wont be able to go back any more.
If you can, do 2' in front of LP in-ceiling. That would be Top Front location. Probably better, but William might have better recommendations.
If I go with 5.2.2 I can probably get away with a receiver that is atmos and 7.2?
At that point, you should consider just looking for 9-channel amplifier in your AVR. Maybe you find 7-channel, but you'll have a lot more to choose from. Look at last years models... Marantz SR 5012, 6012, comparable Denons. All are 4K, Dolby Vision, Etc.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have the 7009?
Yeah I think 5.2.2 would be best, and also I would personally not install speakers behind the couch in the wall. Surrounds ala 5.1 should be slightly behind and pointed slightly forward. Especially regarding atmos you’ll want them in those locations, and not behind.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
This will be much more practical for me given the shape of the room.
5.x.2
I don't have atmos receiver yet. I am thinking about buying everything new.
So I need help picking out a receiver that can do 5.2.2 atmos.
Also I'll get free standing floor speakers to go behind the couch in an angle like the pic shows above.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis