confederate symbols

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Robert E. Lee statue

Republicans complain about Democrat KKK members from decades past.
Every now and then a conservative commentator says they want to keep one of these statues (presumably to preserve the Republic identity because that's just the way it was).
WTF???
Charlottesville: people marching around with torches. Yeah that's a real good look.
A few people saying "that's not what the flag really means."
Duh. Oh yeah. They WANT it that way.
Granted there's prejudice everywhere, but the difference is the rest of the world doesn't wear it on their sleeves.
So sad.
Edit: plaque could say "America the beautiful, land of the Republic." There ya go.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Robert E. Lee statue

Republicans complain about Democrat KKK members from decades past.
Every now and then a conservative commentator says they want to keep one of these statues (presumably to preserve the Republic identity because that's just the way it was).
WTF???
Charlottesville: people marching around with torches. Yeah that's a real good look.
A few people saying "that's not what the flag really means."
Duh. Oh yeah. They WANT it that way.
Granted there's prejudice everywhere, but the difference is the rest of the world doesn't wear it on their sleeves.
So sad.
Edit: plaque could say "America the beautiful, land of the Republic." There ya go.
You know that saying about not learning from history? Erasing it is a really good way to guarantee that forgetting it will happen. It's certainly not being taught in schools, so how will people learn it if they don't know that it should be learned? Avoiding topics because "it makes the kids sad" is BS. We have too many generations of kids who have been coddled when they should have learned about reality. It's hard to block them from the major tragic events, but past history is something that isn't learned in real time, so the way it's presented can be tailored to the age groups, to make it less traumatic. No point showing l little kids videos of people being murdered at, or the bodies being dumped into mass graves at the concentration camps, after all.

History is ugly but people should stop being afraid to learn about it- they might see that they should change their ways.

WWII is a good example of horrible events that Germany dealt with in a way that didn't paint a rosy picture of it. The link below has some good perspectives, IMO.

"For decades, Germany has taken a sober, straightforward approach to explaining its Nazi-era heritage. It has avoided sensationalizing, historical facsimiles or anything that can't be meticulously documented.

"It's an approach that's based on the idea that people shouldn't be intimidated and shocked but informed in a matter of fact, factual way," said Hans-Christian Jasch, a former government lawyer and director of the House of the Wannsee Conference Memorial and Educational Site, a villa in southwest Berlin where 15 high-ranking Nazis conceived the plan to deport and kill Jews during World War II."

"It is not always necessary to show big piles of corpses," Jasch said. "The point is not to overwhelm people with history, yet still grant them access to it." "

Maybe it would be better to put the statues in a national museum and use them as an educational tool. They could put them in the "People Suck" section.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
If we block our history, we’re doomed to repeat it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
If we block our history, we’re doomed to repeat it

So you consider the removal of confederate statues that are in prominent places and celebrated by the locals as "heroes" as blocking our history? So instead of replacing them with people of color or those that helped stop slavery you would prefer this distorted version over the trying to celebrate the real heroes of that time?

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Confederate symbols are symbols of TREASON against the United States.
Hillbillies waving TREASONOUS confederate flags should be imprisoned with no bail or sent to Gauntanamo.
That should send the message to these southern hillbillies.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
I feel that all of this ( correctness society ) is getting out of hand. The USA has gone a long way sense the days of slave days.
And I hope your not trying to put words into my mouth.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Hillbillies waving confederate flags should be imprisoned with no bail or sent to Gauntanamo.
If I were to go over to your home, how many items do you think I could find that ( Offend Me ) ?? If I’m not looking, None. But if you look long and hard, I could find many. And so could you , with me.
My point is this. No matter what you do or what I do. It’s going to offend someone.
Just live your life the way you feel best, and I’ll live my life the way I see fit. Peoples words do not scare me, it’s their actions that worry me.
And no I don’t have a rebel flag hanging in my house. I have the great , red, white and blue hanging at my front door and I’ll live and die with this flag by my side

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
So you consider the removal of confederate statues that are in prominent places and celebrated by the locals as "heroes" as blocking our history?
yes

So instead of replacing them with people of color or those that helped stop slavery you would prefer this distorted version over the trying to celebrate the real heroes of that time?
no, perhaps moving forward we can erect monuments to reflect the 'evolutional' hero's as well .........

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
If I were to go over to your home, how many items do you think I could find that ( Offend Me ) ?? If I’m not looking, None. But if you look long and hard, I could find many. And so could you , with me.
My point is this. No matter what you do or what I do. It’s going to offend someone.
Just live your life the way you feel best, and I’ll live my life the way I see fit. Peoples words do not scare me, it’s their actions that worry me.
And no I don’t have a rebel flag hanging in my house. I have the great , red, white and blue hanging at my front door and I’ll live and die with this flag by my side

The confederates levied WAR against the United States. It is clearly outlined what should be handed out to confederates or their sympathizers.
https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title18/part1/chapter115&edition=prelim#:~:text=Whoever, owing allegiance to the,not less than $10,000; and

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I feel that all of this ( correctness society ) is getting out of hand. The USA has gone a long way sense the days of slave days.
And I hope your not trying to put words into my mouth.

I am not putting words in your mouth. You are doing a good enough job of putting your foot in it for me to bother. Adjusting as a society to fix the mistakes in our past and making amends is not correctness getting out of hand. It is called doing the right thing.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
yes

no, perhaps moving forward we can erect monuments to reflect the 'evolutional' hero's as well .........
WTF do you mean by evolutional. You really are a piece of work. This thread starting about how the Germans have handled the past of hitler. Do you see statues of him still around in centers of cities and have a part of society want to protect it? Just so you know. The answer is no.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I am not putting words in your mouth. You are doing a good enough job of putting your foot in it for me to bother. Adjusting as a society to fix the mistakes in our past and making amends is not correctness getting out of hand. It is called doing the right thing.
adk, your 'adjustment of society' that we have seen this year are at this point a 'posturing of artifacts'. Time will tell if the 'right thing' truly gets done.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
WTF do you mean by evolutional.
WTF, get a dictionary .....

You really are a piece of work.
and you're my hero !

This thread starting about how the Germans have handled the past of hitler. Do you see statues of him still around in centers of cities and have a part of society want to protect it? Just so you know. The answer is no.
no it did not numb nuts, go back and read (if you can) the Op's opening post ...... Lee

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
WTF do you mean by evolutional. You really are a piece of work. This thread starting about how the Germans have handled the past of hitler. Do you see statues of him still around in centers of cities and have a part of society want to protect it? Just so you know. The answer is no.
You don't see statues of Nazi generals in Germany either.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
You don't see statues of Nazi generals in Germany either.

oh for crying out loud, this crap was brought up months back when all the civil unrest was going nuts. My comment, to which adk apparently didn't understand was 'lets erect statues for the important figures that changed this country in a positive light' as we hopefully can take another step forward.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Yup. I did confuse Highfigh as the OP. If you would have said 'lets erect statues for the important figures that changed this country in a positive light' , I would have agreed with you. I took your use of the word evolutional in the wrong context and for that I was wrong. Using the quotes gave a context that these were lesser in the same way I used the word heroes.

And by the way "numb nuts", I have not made any personal hits at you and have went out of my way to try and see your side in many of these threads. So if this is the road you want to go that is fine.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Yup. I did confuse Highfigh as the OP. If you would have said 'lets erect statues for the important figures that changed this country in a positive light' , I would have agreed with you. I took your use of the word evolutional in the wrong context and for that I was wrong. Using the quotes gave a context that these were lesser in the same way I used the word heroes.
no biggie, but you see while I agree with your 'positive light' remark unfortunately there are plenty in the South that would not.

And by the way "numb nuts", I have not made any personal hits at you and have went out of my way to try and see your side in many of these threads. So if this is the road you want to go that is fine.
man-o-man, I already told you you're my hero !
Seriously though, all's good, you're right, no need to go down that ugly path.

So, how high is your camp in the Adirondacks ? Mt Marcy ??

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Hillbillies waving TREASONOUS confederate flags should be imprisoned with no bail or sent to Gauntanamo.
although i like the tone of this post and agree in principle I would not take down any existing statues. I think it a s shame so many have already been destroyed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis