confederate symbols

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You could make memorial sites for the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of Americans that died needlessly because of Trump and G.O.P. Something to remind you all that G.O.P. does not care that Americans dies so long as Trump is kept happy.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Nothing bigger in terms of a threat to freedom/democratic republic than drumph and the current sycophantic republicans what with the conspiracies, fascism and racism. I'm totally disgusted as a US citizen (for generations) by these f*ckers trying to drag us backwards.
Have you been watching when the Dems are doing? It’s the same old bs. When one side has the power, the other goes crazy, but the Dems are hurting us more then the rep ever have. Out of control spending, boarders over run. Each month a new record of people crossing the southern border. Then there are the other countries laughing and taking advantage of the US. I have family in two other countries and they all say the same thing, THE USA IS WEAK with Biden in office

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you been watching when the Dems are doing? It’s the same old bs. When one side has the power, the other goes crazy, but the Dems are hurting us more then the rep ever have. Out of control spending, boarders over run. Each month a new record of people crossing the southern border. Then there are the other countries laughing and taking advantage of the US. I have family in two other countries and they all say the same thing, THE USA IS WEAK with Biden in office

FWIW it's borders, boarders are guys who ride skateboards and surfboards. But you're not that bright....many do laugh at us for our poor education, tho. Why don't you go back to germany and join your fascist family?

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
FWIW it's borders, boarders are guys who ride skateboards and surfboards. But you're not that bright....many do laugh at us for our poor education, tho. Why don't you go back to germany and join your fascist family?
Be very very careful about what you say and accusations that you make of someone you don’t know

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Be very very careful about what you say and accusations that you make of someone you don’t know

By now we know you well enough what moral character you have.

Sent from my iPhone using MoronDetector in auto detect mode.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
My take on the entire subject is....

a) yes there is state rights
b) preserving confederate statues is still honoring racism
c) their trying to erase our history is gobbledegook
and d) .....but I just don't want them in my neighborhood

Add e) the Democrats were the KKK 60 years ago
f) but we want to preserve them today. And don't you dare call me racist!

It's still like tossed salad or cracking a couple eggs over your head. It still doesn't make any sense.

Edit: add to that what someone said a while back about preserving history through books vs eye sore statues. And the general feeling some Republicans will do anything to preserve history no matter how goofy.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

This is another example of how I think people like Shapiro, those on the fringe, do more harm to the party because they get air time. He opens his mouth and tries to make some pretzel justification. I still don't know what he's a saying, or when Matt Walsh says 'Well confederate leaders had good aspects too.'

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
many do laugh at us for our poor education
That's a fact, and Christian nationalism has a lot to do with it. Tryna push creationism in the classroom, twisting science and discouraging proper skepticism and inquiry. It's ridiculous and holding us back while the rest of the world passes us by.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's a fact, and Christian nationalism has a lot to do with it. Tryna push creationism in the classroom, twisting science and discouraging proper skepticism and inquiry. It's ridiculous and holding us back while the rest of the world passes us by.
Just saw something that the free-dumbers are asking for vaccine exemptions for their "religious" beliefs for an exemption. Good grief.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I prefer to leave it to state right's but do think conservatives are dumb on this one when talking about preserving history. Seems to me politically you want to stay the hell as far away from it as possible. In this thread People have a right to their stupid as well as What's the point in taking them down if they believe in it? come to mind.

Edit: on conservatives, it seems like it's geared towards by preserving history, as a whole, they think they'll have a tactical advantage towards preserving the Republic. Or the They're trying to erase our history! is a LOL moment when in fact it might simply be people think they're tacky.

Meanwhile, some argue for leaving Confederate statues up as monuments to history. In fact, they were erected not as history lessons but rather Jim Crow tributes honoring the Lost Cause. A museum is the appropriate place to display and study such bigotry, not the public square.

Last edited:
P

Push

Audioholic
I apologize if this has been written earlier, but I find it interesting how the cancel culture picks one negative aspect, ignoring all the good, and decides that image or symbol MUST BE BANNED.

Lets take the original post, which IIRC was about eliminating some confederate symbols. While the southern confederacy in popular culture is heavily linked to slavery and rascist attitudes towards African Americans, the cancel culture boys often forget they had some truly valuable ideas as well, such as limiting the power of the federal government, and equal rights for all states, and a host of other really bright ideas. But we forget all that because of their stance on slavery.

Lets take Canada's father of confederation, John A Macdonald. A truly impressive man, his list of accomplishments in this country is second to none. But the cancel culture will have us removing statues and some idiots have suggested taking him out of history books simply because his one huge bad idea, residential schools. All that good, erased for all time, because of one mistake.

I guess all I'm trying to say is before anyone condemns a symbol or a person of history, perhaps they should really understand the history, actually know the history. Otherwise, we may not just be erasing some negative aspects of our history, but also many positive aspects.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I apologize if this has been written earlier, but I find it interesting how the cancel culture picks one negative aspect, ignoring all the good, and decides that image or symbol MUST BE BANNED.

Lets take the original post, which IIRC was about eliminating some confederate symbols. While the southern confederacy in popular culture is heavily linked to slavery and rascist attitudes towards African Americans, the cancel culture boys often forget they had some truly valuable ideas as well, such as limiting the power of the federal government, and equal rights for all states, and a host of other really bright ideas. But we forget all that because of their stance on slavery.

Lets take Canada's father of confederation, John A Macdonald. A truly impressive man, his list of accomplishments in this country is second to none. But the cancel culture will have us removing statues and some idiots have suggested taking him out of history books simply because his one huge bad idea, residential schools. All that good, erased for all time, because of one mistake.

I guess all I'm trying to say is before anyone condemns a symbol or a person of history, perhaps they should really understand the history, actually know the history. Otherwise, we may not just be erasing some negative aspects of our history, but also many positive aspects.
Removal from history books is idiotic, but removal of statues makes perfect sense.

One "remembers" the person and what they've done, good and bad. The other celebrates that person, regardless of bad.

We don't need statues to remember people. That's what history books are for.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Here's an idea: all the "good" you did is still overshadowed by being a confederate.

P

Push

Audioholic
Removal from history books is idiotic, but removal of statues makes perfect sense.

One "remembers" the person and what they've done, good and bad. The other celebrates that person, regardless of bad.

We don't need statues to remember people. That's what history books are for.
Point taken. I'm not really a particular fan of using taxpayer money to erect elaborate monuments anyway.

P

Push

Audioholic
Here's an idea: all the "good" you did is still overshadowed by being a confederate.
You make my point exactly. Some of the statues being tore down are of confederates who were actually against slavery, but were instead fighting for state autonomy from a federal government who either didn't understand or care about the issues being faced by the southern states. So were these evil men? I wouldn't say so. At least not the ones who were against slavery, but stood for the other merits of confederacy. People aren't perfect, no system is perfect, condemning someone for the sins of others doesn't do anyone any good.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
You make my point exactly. Some of the statues being tore down are of confederates who were actually against slavery, but were instead fighting for state autonomy from a federal government who either didn't understand or care about the issues being faced by the southern states. So were these evil men? I wouldn't say so. At least not the ones who were against slavery, but stood for the other merits of confederacy. People aren't perfect, no system is perfect, condemning someone for the sins of others doesn't do anyone any good.
Seems a far stretch to say the confederacy was about fighting against slavery.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Name a few of these anti-slavery confederates?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

While some statues of Sir John A. have been taken down or defaced, he certainly won't written out of history books. Statues are erected to commemorate/celebrate historical figures. In retrospect, some figures are judged to be unworthy to be held in such esteem. I'm on the fence about our first PM. The residential school system was nothing short of disastrous for the indigenous peoples. MacDonald was also an alcoholic who had to resign from his first term in office because of the Pacific Railway scandal. But, he was also a brilliant politician and unifier who succeeded in herding the cats together to found a nation. I have to give him credit for that.

Make no mistake, anyone who defended the institution of slavery during the US civil war is not worthy adulation. Removing their statues does not erase them from history.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis