Computer P/S question

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I hope it's cool to ask a a question that is not audio related. I just think a lot of guys here will know the answer!
I updated my desktop (finally) to Windows 10 (don't like it!) from Windows 7 and now my Garmin GPS will not update. I need it updated as I am a medical delivery driver. So, I bought a used Toshiba laptop on ebay today really cheap for the purpose of just updating my GPS. I tried googling, tried Garmin support all to no avail. It is supposed to update via wifi too, but that has never worked I don't think either. So I am S.O.L. and thought I'll just get a device with Windows 7. The laptop that I bought on ebay does not come with a power supply. But I have a super old Toshiba laptop I was hoping the p/s would be compatible. They both have the same pin polarity and 1.9 v output, but the output amperage is different. Mine is 3.95A, the one it requires says 1.58A. Will mine work for the new-used laptop?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Oh yeah, and also it does not come with a battery. Will it power up with just a power supply? I don't need a battery for it to run do I?

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
With the proper power supply yes it will power up and run. But each time you unplug the power source the system goes through a hard shut down. Not good for the OS (Windows) over time. A decent battery cost a little more than a decent power supply. So yes you can run it that way but eventually you would want a battery. But, in the mean time, you can always power down the laptop before unplugging the power source.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Thx nb. Is my p/s going to work with the higher amperage? Providing that the pin is the same size, of course. Looks like it will be.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
The amperage rating of the AC adapter is the maximum current it can put out. It won't automatically pump 4 amps into the other laptop. That's just telling you what the peak demand it can support is. So yes as long as the polarity and voltage are correct it will work.

I hate Windows 10 just as much as you do... 3 steps backwards in terms of interface. Don't even get me started. :rolleyes: But I didn't have any issue installing Garmin Express on Win10 in order to update my GPS. What kind of error are you getting?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Thx Kvn. It was my GPS device. So I bought the laptop and I don't need it. It came brand new, or no indication of use anyway, so I can hopefully get back what I paid. Anyway, I reset my device to default settings and now it updates just fine. I was reluctant to try that as I was afraid it would brick my device at worst or at best just totally lose the map until I could update it. Long story short, it now works like it should.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis