Combining 2 Acoustimass 16 serie II for a Dolby Atmos system

F

Fafaneboat

Audioholic Intern
Congratulations I got no idea how you succeeded but I’m sure they sound plenty good enough.. I saw mirage nanosats for sale locally but I cannot afford $215 right now .. those are another high end satellite
How do the acustomass work for bass? Each has triple 5.5” woofers right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!
Yes these units have 3 woofers each and they produce the part that the satellites can't play (each satellite plus a circuitry in the module account for one large speaker), then they also work as active subs.
Using 3 smaller woofers allow the modules to play a wider range of frequencies that allows to go higher and lower at the same time. Specs can't really be found anywhere but I do believe they probably go down low to frequencies you almost don't hear but that you feel. I would tend to say they could play like a good 12 inch (maybe even a 15) as well as an 8 but at the same time without the 8 being overwhelmed at higher volumes.
These systems do lack parts of the usual range you're getting with higher end (and way bigger) speakers but with patience and tweeking you can achieve a decent one. And with the tiny size of the satellites, your room can sound big without the recording studio look!
Another interesting feature is that these Bose sets can really handle power as the 105w/ch of the Denon are far from overwhelming them, actually, at higher volume settings, I feel the receiver is starting to falter... (Of course, I use the multi-channel stereo mode wich doesn't help)

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Glad you got your experiment to do what you wanted.
Just a side note, the numbers I’ve seen for the AM modules only go down to 46hz. Definitely not in the feel it more than hear it range. And definitely not like a 12 or 15” subwoofer.
Have fun!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks!
Yes these units have 3 woofers each and they produce the part that the satellites can't play (each satellite plus a circuitry in the module account for one large speaker), then they also work as active subs.
Using 3 smaller woofers allow the modules to play a wider range of frequencies that allows to go higher and lower at the same time. Specs can't really be found anywhere but I do believe they probably go down low to frequencies you almost don't hear but that you feel. I would tend to say they could play like a good 12 inch (maybe even a 15) as well as an 8 but at the same time without the 8 being overwhelmed at higher volumes.
These systems do lack parts of the usual range you're getting with higher end (and way bigger) speakers but with patience and tweeking you can achieve a decent one. And with the tiny size of the satellites, your room can sound big without the recording studio look!
Another interesting feature is that these Bose sets can really handle power as the 105w/ch of the Denon are far from overwhelming them, actually, at higher volume settings, I feel the receiver is starting to falter... (Of course, I use the multi-channel stereo mode wich doesn't help)
You need to experience an actual good subwoofer....Bose modules aren't even close.

F

Fafaneboat

Audioholic Intern
You need to experience an actual good subwoofer....Bose modules aren't even close.
I would love to but It's not in a store show room that I would experience what you're talking about. I do believe that you can have an extraordinary sound with the systems discussed on the forum but the point is I don't have the money nor the space to fit huge speakers in my living room.
And you must know that it's really not funny at all to be criticized by people who have actually no clue about what they are bullshiting about! But hey, I did it my way with the help of a nice guy who didn't judge but helped as much as he could and I really believe that's what forums should be all about. Not a gang of pretentious owners of very expensive poop that criticize everything but their stuff, or salesmen who believe they will do their month if they manipulate people into thinking their system is bad so they can try to link their store in the discussion. This is pathetic!
By the way, have you ever been in a room with a properly amplified and tuned Acoustimass 15 serie 3 or 16 serie 2?

Last edited:
F

Fafaneboat

Audioholic Intern
Glad you got your experiment to do what you wanted.
Just a side note, the numbers I’ve seen for the AM modules only go down to 46hz. Definitely not in the feel it more than hear it range. And definitely not like a 12 or 15” subwoofer.
Have fun!
I found this link with a tool that allow to play various frequencies and I did test what you're pretending.
Nothing at all below 20hz, I barely notice something at 24hz but at 28hz I clearly hear and feel it but yes, it's a bit distorted, 32hz is clear and shake the house and all other frequencies were clear without any distortion. So again, I don't want to prove anything but have you ever been in a room with a properly tuned Bose Accoustimass 15 serie 3 or 16 serie 2? There have been so much versions for so long and so many haters everywhere that I do believe there's not much valuable and available real numbers for these systems.
While at it, I used these tool to further experiment and test:

I can clearly hear and feel the various depths of Kick 1 70hz to Kick 6 20hz.
I have however a lot of parasitic sounds in my living room, the wooden floor, the fireplace and deco accessories are reacting to those tests and sometime it's bad... However with a movie or with music, it's not distracting too much.
I love it!!!
Using the various tools in this website, I can now argue that my setup goes easy down to 20hz, maybe a tad lower depending on what the sound is!!! Very cool!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis