Class D power amplifiers

Are class D amps finally ready for prime time for audioholics, even audiophiles, if not why not?

• Yes

Votes: 38 67.9%
  • Yes, but probably not audiophiles

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • May be, it depends..

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • No, they are not ready for prime time because..

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Yes, but only those with good specs confirmed by bench tests

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You are the first one (that I know of) who have used it long enough to comment on the reliability of class D amp. Would you mind telling us what make it is, manufacture year, and usage (lightly used, daily, weekly etc..)in general, please..
Sure. It's been on subwoofer duty since I got it, but it's the first gen class D XLS1500 from Crown. When I first got it, I used it almost daily, but it's been just hanging out in my rack waiting for when I fire up the theater. It's actually stays on 24/7 since I don't have a way of triggering it to auto power on with my AVR, and it has worked perfectly since the day I got it.

Manufacturer date is 5/16/2011 so it'll be 11 in a few months.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
How often do you use it, once a year? ;):D
There was a time it didn't get used much, but it's been through the ringer. No idea how much it was used before I got it, but I doubt it was much considering it was made the year I bought it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I bought two Crown XLS1500s made in 2012 (think I got them that year, too). They've been in daily service since pretty much, altho once in a while, along with the other two 1500s I bought a few years later (those were made in 2015), they'll sit idle now and then. They've been on mains duties initially, then diy sub amps as well. I bought a used 2502 a few years ago, too. Great value.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Those are the so called pro amps right, probably built like tanks.:D
Yes, but they're very small (depth wise) and light. I also have an A/B crown amp that is much newer and that sucker is heavy. Also doesn't have nearly as low a noise floor as my older (and higher end) class D crown amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those are the so called pro amps right, probably built like tanks.:D
Almost prosumer amps in that they had not only balanced but unbalanced connections as well. No phoenix connectors either. How robust on the road I have no idea, mine like most home gear tends to just sit on a shelf rather than constantly being handled/moved.

V

vibe

Enthusiast
For those interested, I bought my Hypex amp from Buckeye amps and the Purifi amp from VTV amps.
@PENG
Which of those do you prefer?
How would you describe the difference?

I'm looking for something to power my KEF R3s and am considering the 502 build from Buckeye or new high power Purifi from VTV

Thank you

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG
Which of those do you prefer?
How would you describe the difference?

I'm looking for something to power my KEF R3s and am considering the 502 build from Buckeye or new high power Purifi from VTV

Thank you
I have not put them side by side to compare yet. I have been using the Buckeye NC502MP to drive the KEF R900s and the Purifi Eigentakt Eval1for the Focal 1028 Be.

For the price difference I would say the Hypex NC502MP is a better value. I did compare the NC502MP with my Parasound A21 for a few days, they sounded the same to me at any volume and regardless of which preamp/DACs I used with them.

By the way, I think Buckeyeamp now also do the Purfi amps. Both companies are very good but if you want fast delivery your choice would be VTV.

V

vibe

Enthusiast
Thank you.
I've read about some VTV quality control challenges on AVS, but their case design is way better.

I will be ordering one of the above to compare with the following which are on order:
  1. NAD C298
  2. Parasound Halo Hint 6
  3. Rotel RA-1572 MKII
  4. Topping PA5

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Any Amp build that uses Ghent cases is going to be backed up right now, just an FYI. I have two Chassis sitting in FedEx-Shanghai... Following the news, things do not look good for anything moving in or out there for at least another week. The government there is doing mandatory testing of every resident in the city... TWICE (if I read the story correctly). And that started today, I believe.
What was supposed to be an 8 day lockdown total is in it's 10th day I think.

Funny, huh, @PENG ...
I waited all this time... finally ordered my chassis from them. and then 2-days later, Ghent had to close for their lockdown, they got to reopen and transferred the order to FedEx who immediately had to lock down.
Cat Drawing GIF by hoppip - Find & Share on GIPHY

:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you.
I've read about some VTV quality control challenges on AVS, but their case design is way better.
That was in the early days, they are very good now. I can open it up and take some photos if you are interested.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you.

I will be ordering one of the above to compare with the following which are on order:
  1. NAD C298
  2. Parasound Halo Hint 6
  3. Rotel RA-1572 MKII
  4. Topping PA5
Why are you comparing a mix of (power) amps and integrated amps? What are you trying to determine? Why the wide range of power?

V

vibe

Enthusiast
Why are you comparing a mix of (power) amps and integrated amps? What are you trying to determine? Why the wide range of power?
Because I scoured forums across the web and these are the ones that came up.
I also know next to nothing other than what my ears hear, so throwing it all against the wall to see what sticks.
And retailers I am working with have generous return policies

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Because I scoured forums across the web and these are the ones that came up.
I also know next to nothing other than what my ears hear, so throwing it all against the wall to see what sticks.
And retailers I am working with have generous return policies
I doubt you'll find anything interesting for all this effort, especially the comparison of dissimilar devices and power. Amps generally don't, and shouldn't, have a "sound". Concentrate on speakers and your room, that's where the vast majority is determined, not the amp. What speakers are they for?

V

vibe

Enthusiast
KEF R3

That will be good news, then I can just keep the smallest or cheapest, whichever is more important in WAF.

WAF is worth the efforts. She sees that I am putting in efforts to make both of us happy

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
KEF R3

That will be good news, then I can just keep the smallest or cheapest, whichever is more important in WAF.

WAF is worth the efforts. She sees that I am putting in efforts to make both of us happy
Current electronics are what? The WAF thing didn't even occur to me :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis