Class D power amplifiers

Are class D amps finally ready for prime time for audioholics, even audiophiles, if not why not?

• Yes

Votes: 38 67.9%
  • Yes, but probably not audiophiles

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • May be, it depends..

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • No, they are not ready for prime time because..

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Yes, but only those with good specs confirmed by bench tests

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Right, but hey could be both correct depending on interpretation. ParleyW did say "I believe they use B&O ICE modules. " He did not say Rotel made the modules. tparm said "rotel doesn’t make any class d amps. ", so that may be true if Rotel does't actually make the amp modules...:D
I found that data ( ICE) in their own literature. My amps push astounding power to what ever speaker I’ve used. KEF 107/2, JBL L100t, 4412, L80T, L5, L7. I could shake the Sheetrock loose with my L7 and my 107/2. Their remarkable. Wish they still made them. I’ve also own their 100 lb monster a/b (rb-1090). These amps give up nothing to it.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just for kicks, here are ASR reviews of two of the ICE amp builds:

I suspect with a modified power supply and possibly an OP Amp/Input buffer, these could be improved upon, but for the budget minded, not trying to get into anything complex, a person could put these together pretty easily and have a decent power amp.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Rotel doesn’t CURRENTLY produce any non-AB class amps.
Rotel did try a run on Class D amplification . It was a complete disaster, The things did not sell as well as predicted and they soon reverted back to an A / B format

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Rotel did try a run on Class D amplification . It was a complete disaster, The things did not sell as well as predicted and they soon reverted back to an A / B format
I think you hit the nail in the head. Their kind of customer would not likely embrace class D amps. A more extreme example would be Passlab, can anyone imagine they start making or even just selling class D amps?:D:D There aren't too many "high end" power amp manufacturers that have a good customer base for class D amps, one I can think of immediately is Bel Canto, but they have been doing it for years.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
I’ve got a 7.2 system powered by them. They are outstanding in sound quality and sheer muscle. I’m an old Hafler (xl-280) guy, also have Nakamichi (PA-1) amps, Crestron/ATI, Rotel RB-1090, Yamaha M70 (old). These class d pound it with my RBH Reference stuff. Love em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
On week 2 of running a new OSD XMP500DSP Class D amplifier. Replaced a 10 year old Parasound 2125 that I really enjoyed but "felt" I needed a bit more power for my front L/R speakers and am on a budget @$500. Can't get over the fact that it only weighs about 10 pounds. So far have been impressed with its power and smooth operation. Rightly or wrongly was concerned it's onboard DSP would change the sound coming from the Yamaha A6A but that was not the case, it's neutral to me. Only issue so far is its slight initial delay in detecting input from the A6A. Since I already have delays when turning on the A6A it's just another log on that fire anyway. Long term performance to be determined. FYI.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On week 2 of running a new OSD XMP500DSP Class D amplifier. Replaced a 10 year old Parasound 2125 that I really enjoyed but "felt" I needed a bit more power for my front L/R speakers and am on a budget @$500. Can't get over the fact that it only weighs about 10 pounds. So far have been impressed with its power and smooth operation. Rightly or wrongly was concerned it's onboard DSP would change the sound coming from the Yamaha A6A but that was not the case, it's neutral to me. Only issue so far is its slight initial delay in detecting input from the A6A. Since I already have delays when turning on the A6A it's just another log on that fire anyway. Long term performance to be determined. FYI.

Does that have a adc conversion constantly in use? Or the dsp is non-defeatable? Price is okay but doesn't look better than a Crown XLS....

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Does that have a adc conversion constantly in use? Or the dsp is non-defeatable? Price is okay but doesn't look better than a Crown XLS....
It's non defeatable. Was considering the Crown too at the time but got a better deal on the OSD. The Crown does have a better track record so this was a bit of a chance.
Also, the OSD does have an A/B switch for 2 pairs of speakers which is handy for testing.

Last edited:
}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Pulled the trigger on a class D amp:

Screenshot_20220501-082201_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220501-082208_Samsung Internet.jpg

Got the seller to drop the price a bit, and shipping included. It's only 2 channels, but I can buy a 3rd NCore module as it's pre-wired for it and make it a 3 channel (which is my plan). This will be used to power my LCR.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Who built it? DIY?
The 502s are OEM, iirc, so i'm guessing maybe Buckeye since it is a ghent chassis.
He does use those, especially now while he's been working through some new sources and components.

I think he is just about ready to release his newer builds. Very exciting as the MP modules don't need the separate Power Supply. He has a new input board that includes a much more simple trigger mechanism that the backwards one on the SMPS600 I am working with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 502s are OEM, iirc, so i'm guessing maybe Buckeye since it is a ghent chassis.
He does use those, especially now while he's been working through some new sources and components.

I think he is just about ready to release his newer builds. Very exciting as the MP modules don't need the separate Power Supply. He has a new input board that includes a much more simple trigger mechanism that the backwards one on the SMPS600 I am working with.
Just curious since it wasn't specified. Get your ghent box yet?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just curious since it wasn't specified. Get your ghent box yet?
Oh ya. Chassis are here. I think they sent the wrong cable set, but Shanghai is still in lockdown so there is nothing to do but wait. They just pushed back to 5/11 as a possible open date, from 5/5.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh ya. Chassis are here. I think they sent the wrong cable set, but Shanghai is still in lockdown so there is nothing to do but wait. They just pushed back to 5/11 as a possible open date, from 5/5.
The cabling that unique?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The cabling that unique?
Yes. One pinout connector requires this:
Does not seem to be a part of my cable set. Either way, when I figure out my trigger scenario, I will need to modify that cable.

As has been my lot, lately, I have a bunch of silly work that comes first before audio. I'm pushing real hard to get to start playing with my Amps, soon.

Same with my Atmos Speaker install. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, ya.
And my new Subwoofer Amp should be here very soon. A class D Clone of a Powersoft Amp. It should arrive on 5/3.
Once that is here, I can run in my SI SQL15s and get accurate numbers on those and see what changes in the Models.

I will also run these through the Augsperger TL Program @TLS Guy uses and see if they hold up to that build. The published specs look promising for a TQWT build, but until I get accurate numbers to work with, it's just a gamble. Outlook is that the actual numbers that matter might be elevated from advertised.
Regardless, all of my eggs are getting ready to hatch.
Now I just need to make time to be a good father! :D To all my projects, that is.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Pulled the trigger on a class D amp:
Never mind.

QUOTE="PENG, post: 1552057, member: 6097"]
There aren't too many "high end" power amp manufacturers that have a good customer base for class D amps, one I can think of immediately is Bel Canto, but they have been doing it for years.
[/QUOTE]

Another solid designed class "D" is the Dutch Mola Mola, But there not cheap or a budget model. The thing is your paying high amounts for one good reason, a quality power supply. Which don't come cheap.
As for these cheap Chinese knock-off's That seem to be flooding the market, with encouraging prices and exadurated claims of high performance. While there working flat out now, In 5 or 10 years time they will be non-existent.
People seem to question the A/B designed models, what they fail to understand is that during normal use , they rarely switch from class "A::mode to class "B"

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never mind.

QUOTE="PENG, post: 1552057, member: 6097"]
There aren't too many "high end" power amp manufacturers that have a good customer base for class D amps, one I can think of immediately is Bel Canto, but they have been doing it for years.

Another solid designed class "D" is the Dutch Mola Mola, But there not cheap or a budget model. The thing is your paying high amounts for one good reason, a quality power supply. Which don't come cheap.
As for these cheap Chinese nock-off's That seem to be flooding the market, with encouraging prices and exadurated claims of high performance. While there working flat out now, In 5 or 10 years time they will be non-existent.
People seem to question the A/B designed models, what they fail to understand is that during normal use , they rarely switch from class "A::mode to class "B"
[/QUOTE]
You really have ampliphilia, don't you?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis