Cheap amps for Atmos speakers

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
Hi all, so, here is my current setup:

- Receiver: Denon AVR-X3600H (properly cooled by an AC Infinity AIRCOM T10)
- 4x Pioneer SP-FS52 (front and surround, coupled using Dayton Audio DSS3-BK spikes)
- 1x Pioneer Elite SP-EC73 (center)
- 4x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Add-on (Atmos, decoupled using Hudson Hi-Fi .75" Platinum Silicone Hemisphere Bumpers)
- Subwoofers: 2x SVS PB-1000 (isolated using SVS SoundPath Subwoofer feet)

Everything seems fine (specially after I added the fan on the receiver), but I was wondering how much I am loosing on the main receiver amplification output to feed the bouncy Atmos speakers. Therefore, I was wondering if it was worth it to get those cheap $50-$80 stereo amps on Amazon just for the Atmos guys. Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If you turn up the 5db on the Denon receiver for each channel you should be fine. that's what I do and i'm satisfied. I don't have atmos though and I don't think it will matter. Also that receiver is more than capable. Donate to a local charity instead.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't really see any gains from doing that. Atmos speakers don't see a lot of action compared to your front 3. If your fan has you running cool I wouldn't worry about it. If I really just wanted additional amplification I'd save up (coulda saved a little on isolation pads and spikes-the gains are debatable with that stuff) and get something good for the front 2 or 3.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Hi all, so, here is my current setup:

- Receiver: Denon AVR-X3600H (properly cooled by an AC Infinity AIRCOM T10)
- 4x Pioneer SP-FS52 (front and surround, coupled using Dayton Audio DSS3-BK spikes)
- 1x Pioneer Elite SP-EC73 (center)
- 4x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Add-on (Atmos, decoupled using Hudson Hi-Fi .75" Platinum Silicone Hemisphere Bumpers)
- Subwoofers: 2x SVS PB-1000 (isolated using SVS SoundPath Subwoofer feet)

Everything seems fine (specially after I added the fan on the receiver), but I was wondering how much I am loosing on the main receiver amplification output to feed the bouncy Atmos speakers. Therefore, I was wondering if it was worth it to get those cheap $50-$80 stereo amps on Amazon just for the Atmos guys. Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks!
I’d save that money and get a nicer amp for the mains instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, count me in the camp of why bother. I'd rather work on getting rid of the bouncy speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed. Bouncies won’t need a lot. IF, and a big IF, you hear some straining or distortion etc, then I’d consider another amp. I think the whole “unload power requirements from the totally useless gutless AVR” is a little overdone. IMO very few people will push their systems that hard where it’s a problem. If you DO, you probably already know the answer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are the bouncy units of exceptionally low sensitivity?
I don’t think so. I do know they have a big notch in the FR to help trick the brain into hearing the sound from overhead. It’s also important to tell the AVR that your using AE speakers. Otherwise audyssey will try and EQ the notch out.

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all, I will just do nothing then :D

I also notice that on "ECO" mode my Denon is not even at 60% (far less then that) when I watch movies on the volume I am comfortable with, so, I think I am just overthinking it (as I always do :D).

By the way, what does the "ECO" mode does on Denons exactly? :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am referring to that elusive "power consumption bar" that Denon shows. I am not talking about volume.
I haven't had that experience! My Denons don't have that...nor Eco so I'm outta my league here :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do wonder what that specifically is calculated on/with....a brief search didn't pull anything up.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I do wonder what that specifically is calculated on/with....a brief search didn't pull anything up.
Dunno, but my understanding is that they had to implement something for the EEC market that satisfy their stricter regulations on energy consumption.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis