Do I need external amplifiers for my setup (4x FS52 / Denon X3600H)?

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
Hi, my current setup looks like this:

It is a 5.2.2 setup:
- 4x SP-FS52 for Fronts and Surrounds (they are decoupled from the carpet floor using: Dayton Audio DSS3-BK Spikes)
- 2x SP-T22A-LR for Upfiring Atmos on the top of the FS52s (they are decoupled from the FS52s using: Hudson Hi-Fi .75" Platinum Silicone Hemisphere Bumper)
- 1x SP-C22 center channel
- 2x SW-8MKS subs
- Sony STR-DH790 receiver

I recently decided to "upgrade" my system with:
- Denon AVR-X3600H (main upgrade)
- 2x SP-T22A-LR to go 5.2.4

So, my question is, now that I am doing a major upgrade on my receiver for one that has pre-amp outs, should I start considering power amps for some main channels (for example the fronts)?
If so, does the FS52 even need an external amp since it is so easy to drive?

Thanks!

P.S.: I still have 4x SP-BS22-LR bookshelves on my closet (before I did my previous upgrade for 4x FS52s), and if anyone has any advice how to use them with the new receiver, I am all ears (literally :D).

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi, my current setup looks like this:

It is a 5.2.2 setup:
- 4x SP-FS52 for Fronts and Surrounds (they are decoupled from the carpet floor using: Dayton Audio DSS3-BK Spikes)
- 2x SP-T22A-LR for Upfiring Atmos on the top of the FS52s (they are decoupled from the FS52s using: Hudson Hi-Fi .75" Platinum Silicone Hemisphere Bumper)
- 1x SP-C22 center channel
- 2x SW-8MKS subs
- Sony STR-DH790 receiver

I recently decided to "upgrade" my system with:
- Denon AVR-X3600H (main upgrade)
- 2x SP-T22A-LR to go 5.2.4

So, my question is, now that I am doing a major upgrade on my receiver for one that has pre-amp outs, should I start considering power amps for some main channels (for example the fronts)?
If so, does the FS52 even need an external amp since it is so easy to drive?

Thanks!

P.S.: I still have 4x SP-BS22-LR bookshelves on my closet (before I did my previous upgrade for 4x FS52s), and if anyone has any advice how to use them with the new receiver, I am all ears (literally :D).
I'd upgrade the subs before considering external amplification.
This calculator helps

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
I'd upgrade the subs before considering external amplification.
This calculator helps
Thanks for your feedback everettT!

So, my room is not huge and not the best acoustic shape by any means (you know... real life and wife aesthetics always comes as compromise :D), and I feel the 2x small subs are already quite loud for my area. I can be wrong.

I forgot to say also that I was strongly thinking about getting one miniDSP 2x4 to optimize those subs better.

But, if you would upgrade the subs, which one would you go with?

Thanks again! :D

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for your feedback everettT!

So, my room is not huge and not the best acoustic shape by any means (you know... real life and wife aesthetics always comes as compromise :D), and I feel the 2x small subs are already quite loud for my area. I can be wrong.

I forgot to say also that I was strongly thinking about getting one miniDSP 2x4 to optimize those subs better.

But, if you would upgrade the subs, which one would you go with?

Thanks again! :D
Since the system is for HT also I'd do so. Even small 10s like the RSL would make a huge improvement. Just my opinion before other upgrades with the existing gear. It would be a noticeable improvement.

Good luck keep us posted..

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
Since the system is for HT also I'd do so. Even small 10s like the RSL would make a huge improvement. Just my opinion before other upgrades with the existing gear. It would be a noticeable improvement.

Good luck keep us posted..
Awesome! Any recommendation of a good sub under $200? I am not sure if I should invest $400 on one RSL or maybe the same amount on 2x subs (for example 2x Daytons)?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Awesome! Any recommendation of a good sub under $200? I am not sure if I should invest $400 on one RSL or maybe the same amount on 2x subs (for example 2x Daytons)?
The Dayton subs are some of the best for there price point. The sub1500 has always been well received for those on a budget. The RSLs have the same type of reception. The next level up starts at $499.

The are a few members with both, hopefully some will chime in.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Can’t find it now, but there was a review showing the Sub1200 to be a very good choice compared to the Sub1500. IIRC, the output measured close enough to make the choice fairly moot.
The most important aspect of the better subwoofer isn’t so much about greater output, rather less distortion. Cleaner, more linear Low Frequency soundwaves almost sound quieter, whereas a distorted LF signal actually sounds loud due to the effect it has on the living environment (more rattles in structure and furniture, for example, and more stress on your ears).
If you are interested in playing the long game on upgrading your rig, invest wisely in subs now, and you will alost experience a whole new system just from how it helps your speakers out. The Subs, if used wisely can also last you quite a while, so you can then focus on saving for a speaker upgrade. :)
...And then... if you really need amplification... you can start looking at that. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis