Chane SBE-118 18" Sub On Closeout ONLY $349!!!!!!

J

Jon Lane

Audiophyte
I think the main thing missing is some indication of the Frequency Response/Performance.
All we have to go off of is "103dB average, 20-30Hz" which is useful, but does this sub need dsp to perform well? What is F3?
You'll probably want to equalize and DSP would be the ideal way to do so.

Virtually all bass speakers require equalization (unless they're either refrigerator sized or are also tuned to not go very loud) so F3 becomes a somewhat arbitrary choice made in the active filter that powered subs have onboard. As an 18" speaker, this one can move a fair about of air so dialing in a 20Hz knee is suitable. As an unpowered speaker we'll do this in the upstream of our external amplifier.

The best way is to taper down the response above that desired point; say, 25Hz. Asking room correction to do is probably best because it includes local acoustical gain in its final filter function.

Specifying a maximum output between 20Hz and 30Hz is a fairly common indicator - it shows us the speaker's ceiling along its lowest likely response knee. The average peak specification reflects the maximum excursion and the voice coil's thermal or wattage limit, which are reasonably close together. Max output is naturally less at 20Hz than at 30Hz, hence the average.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I will try to get in touch w/Jim Wilson tomorrow. Have had a long day and just worn out. Otherwise, I would try to tonight. Hopefully, Jim can reload those files containing his measurements of the SBE-118. Jim may can offer some insights as well. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Have now sent Jman a PM regarding his measurements of the SBE-118. Awaiting his reply. Hopefully, Jim still as them and can re-post them for us all to see. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Have not heard back from Jim Wilson. Jon is trying to get in touch w/him as well. Hope to hear from Jim soon. If anyone here can get in touch w/him, then please do so. It would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Should have some info very soon! More to come..........

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
With a little help I was able to come up with these numbers for those that may be interested:

0 dB @30Hz
-3 dB @20 Hz (target and rated F3)
-6 dB @16 Hz
-9 dB @ 13 Hz
-12 dB @ 10 Hz (one octave below 20 Hz)

With a natural roll-off of 12 dB/Octave the data fully checks out. Also, please note that the red curve is completely arbitrary and can be changed, as long as, you stay within the parameters of the black(raw) curve.

Cheers,

Phil

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
As far as reviews go, Jman albeit Jim Wilson is the most significant. The files that won't open were lost when Chane upgraded their website 2-years ago. I will see if Jman can log back into Chane and re-post them. That is, even if Jim still has them. Will work on that as soon as I can.
Phil gets the Mr. Persistent award; I'm getting PM's from all over the place! :D Even Jon has reached out to me, so it seems I've become quite popular. I have had a cold though so I wasn't on line much the past few days. It's Sunday and there's no football however, which means I have some free time on my hands now.

I keep everything - pictures, measurements, original articles - so I do still have them. I don't recall what pictures I posted unfortunately, so I'll just have to wing it for those. Note that my measurements were from the old XTZ tool and using the SA-1000 amplifier as I didn't have the 3600 amp at the time. Looking at Jon's posted FR shows me something almost identical to what I measured, so my guess is the 3600 just adds more to what the SA-1000 provided.

It is almost Golden Corral time........love me some Prime Rib! Will be back in touch very soon. Thanks!
Using "Golden Corral" and "prime rib" in the same sentence is like saying "McDonalds" and "porterhouse", it don't fit. :eek: ;)

Me, no, not aware of issues but not familiar with Chane's branding of this Suntron amp (which elsewhere someone said may be a QSC clone....dunno). That's just a very limited warranty :) No idea of fan noise either.
With a single SBE-118 in a 13x17 room I don't know if I ever heard the 3600's fan kick in, no matter how hard I was pushing. If it did come on the audio output must have been loud enough to completely drown it out. The difference in weight and feel between the 3600 and the SA-1000 is night-and-day, with the former being quite stout and heavy. Seems more like a pro amp to me.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Any chance you could post the frequency response image here? It won't display on the previous link unless you have an account on the forum.

Looking at Jon's posted FR shows me something almost identical to what I measured, so my guess is the 3600 just adds more to what the SA-1000 provided.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil gets the Mr. Persistent award; I'm getting PM's from all over the place! :D Even Jon has reached out to me, so it seems I've become quite popular. I have had a cold though so I wasn't on line much the past few days. It's Sunday and there's no football however, which means I have some free time on my hands now.

I keep everything - pictures, measurements, original articles - so I do still have them. I don't recall what pictures I posted unfortunately, so I'll just have to wing it for those. Note that my measurements were from the old XTZ tool and using the SA-1000 amplifier as I didn't have the 3600 amp at the time. Looking at Jon's posted FR shows me something almost identical to what I measured, so my guess is the 3600 just adds more to what the SA-1000 provided.

Using "Golden Corral" and "prime rib" in the same sentence is like saying "McDonalds" and "porterhouse", it don't fit. :eek: ;)

With a single SBE-118 in a 13x17 room I don't know if I ever heard the 3600's fan kick in, no matter how hard I was pushing. If it did come on the audio output must have been loud enough to completely drown it out. The difference in weight and feel between the 3600 and the SA-1000 is night-and-day, with the former being quite stout and heavy. Seems more like a pro amp to me.
Thanks Jim for the reply. We totally understand when you are not feeling well. There really is no hurry either. Only PM'd you twice. Once here (Audioholics) and once on AVS. Sorry, if things got a little out of hand. Very happy to hear that you still have said files. Looking forward to the measurements myself.

BTW, my local Golden Corral is currently serving Prime Rib and it is absolutely amazing to say the least. Especially, being a buffet. Going back again real soon. :):):) Hope that you get to feeling better. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am a little confused!
Did you have both the SA-1000 and the 3600, or are you taking Albuterol for your cold?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
You can run, but you can't hide!;)
I can't do either at this point, just walking up the steps is a challenge. #$%^ congestion...

I am a little confused!
Did you have both the SA-1000 and the 3600, or are you taking Albuterol for your cold?:rolleyes:
I may not have worded that the best, eh?

The review was done with the original amp Chane offered, the Dayton SA-1000. About a year after the article was published I bought a 3600 for myself and tried it with that as well. I know the $600 combo Chane is offering now is with the 3600, not the SA-1000. The amplifier by itself is probably worth $600, so it seems like they're throwing in the passive sub for free. IIRC it's an Eminence driver, so it's from a well regarded OEM house.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Any chance you could post the frequency response image here? It won't display on the previous link unless you have an account on the forum.
Using the Dayton SA-1000 amplifier...

Frequency Response: Green - Native, Blue - Bass Boost switch enabled

Spectrograph: Native response

Spectrograph: Bass Boost switch enabled

To get the best from this combo you should have some type of DSP/EQ capability as there is no signal shaping being done, which is the case with virtually all passive subs hooked up to an external amp. My room adds gain around 25Hz so I first had Audyssey level out the peaks, then using my AVR's manual EQ I boosted the response to flatten the shape down to 25Hz. I let my room take care of the rest, allowing it to roll off naturally below that point (this driver is not really designed for single digit response so I added nothing in the teens in order to ensure no damage).

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Few here will be able to see those pictures since we are not registered members of that forum.
Bummer-did not realize that. However, if anyone wants to see the pics all they have to do is register. I am a member over there and do not post very much. It only takes just a couple of minutes of your time to register. Of course, not everyone will take the time to do so. That is totally up to them. :)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis