Carver AV-705x 5 channel power amp tag sale grab

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
So I found this Carver amp at a tag sale years ago for $50. It had some issues and I sent it off to a Carver tech to have it repaired and refurbed for $300+$60 shipping. I finally got it back yesterday and for a little over $400 total it’s definitely a great amp in my opinion. Any other guys on here still running these aging amps?

Attachments

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
I've got a Bob Carver early model pre-amp Sonic Holography PSC-50. I use it in my Test rig

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My aging Carver amps are....aging. Developing some transformer noise so have idled them for now. Had a local general electronics tech go thru them fairly recently but he found nothing particularly wrong outside of some display lighting issues which were obvious. Later on one of them developed some transformer noise....but they're almost 40 years old, too (M-500t models, have two, my older M-500 went up in blue smoke a few years back).

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
My aging Carver amps are....aging. Developing some transformer noise so have idled them for now. Had a local general electronics tech go thru them fairly recently but he found nothing particularly wrong outside of some display lighting issues which were obvious. Later on one of them developed some transformer noise....but they're almost 40 years old, too (M-500t models, have two, my older M-500 went up in blue smoke a few years back).
That’s so funny, I just picked up an M500t for $200, used it for a week to drive a pair of Mirage OMD-28’s and it died. I just sent it off to the same tech who did my Carver AV-705.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That’s so funny, I just picked up an M500t for $200, used it for a week to drive a pair of Mirage OMD-28’s and it died. I just sent it off to the same tech who did my Carver AV-705.
Which tech?

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Which tech?
This guy Chris Berringer. He worked at Carver/Sunfire and than Carver Audio repair for a number of years before retiring but he takes repair orders here and there from friends and what not. He’s married to my cousin so I’m usually able to get him to fix my gear

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This guy Chris Berringer. He worked at Carver/Sunfire and than Carver Audio repair for a number of years before retiring but he takes repair orders here and there from friends and what not. He’s married to my cousin so I’m usually able to get him to fix my gear
A family electronics guy, I'm jealous!

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
I had to dust off my AV-705x for my Theater. Just using 2 channels but it is still working well.

PS I still use a TFM 35 in a 2 channel system:)

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I had to dust off my AV-705x for my Theater. Just using 2 channels but it is still working well.

PS I still use a TFM 35 in a 2 channel system:)

How is that TFM? I’ve almost pulled the trigger on one so many times but was always either too late or just didn’t go through with it

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
Sorry, missed this post.
Other than the lights being burned out on meters it has performed very well.
If I could find someone local to replace lights I would.

G

GregN

Audiophyte
I’ve had mine for 23 years and actually just listed it for sale. Had it in its original box in storage since 2014 and decide to sell it as I recently set up a Rega record player with my vintage Klipsch Epic speakers and picked up a mint Carver TFM-45 2 channel amp today to replace my 705x. I loved the 705x amp for both music and movies but it unfortunately doesn’t fit the cabinet I’m getting. I have sonos for my TV and the Rega/carver set up strictly for my vinyls.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Hey Greg, what’re try looking to get for it? I’m currently in the market for a second 5 or 7 channel power amp. I almost picked up a Sunfire Grand Cinema (the 200 WPC @ 8ohms x5 model) today but the amount of units for sale that have failed greatly outnumbers those that haven’t and that’s worrying to a degree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

GregN

Audiophyte
I listed it for $800…it’s in mint condition, never abused and have the original box and packaging. I tried to upload some pics but they are to large to attach

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Iam running two TFM 35 x’s and a bridged TFM 25 for the center. I had both the 35 x ‘s rebuilt out in Washington St. by the carver repair folks . Never could keep meter lamps in any of them and I have replaced them all at least 3 times but I could replace them with leds I guess . But it takes longer to get to them than it does to put them in and I don’t mind the dark look in the room . I also run a 405 in my garage setup it’s a very good little amp too .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Who are you using?

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Admittedly they are pricey but I was happy with their work. That being said it’s not like I’ve had a dozen Carver amps repaired by a handful of different companies so I don’t really have a frame of reference. I did love the fact that they replaced those horrible binding posts the 705x came from the factory with and I had 2 of the 5 gain knobs that were stuck on full or THX (which is fine as it’s where I want them) but for another few bucks they replaced all 5 of them and they function as they should. My idea was that eventually I’ll either trade or sell at least the 705x and it’s exponentially easier when everything works as it should. I kept the service order and paperwork as I figure any future buyer would want quantifiable proof the “modernization” did indeed happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis