Car modding/projects thread!

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
so where do you work and can i get a job in august 08? :)

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sleestack said:
The body style was...The exterior bodywork was...We had to create room for...Front and rear brakes where changed out to...Suspension was rebuilt built with...Tranny was beefed up to handle...Exhaust was completley rereouted to...Rear seats were eliminated and fronts were replaced with...The engine was replaced with...The wiring/ECU was piggybacked with...
Why don't you just get a Ferrari and be done with it? :rolleyes:

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
Why don't you just get a Ferrari and be done with it? :rolleyes:
I just felt like building a 700hp MB. I just had an affinity for the W208 body style and our family has a long history of MB ownership. It's nice to have the freedom to do things like that.

I do plan on getting a 575 Maranello, my all time favorite GT. I almost did a Novatec 360, but the bill on that project would have been well over $400K.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sheep said:
I have some more important things to work on right now, like my thermostat, which isn't functioning properly, and my front window, which has a big crack in it. I picked up a new Fuel Filter today and thermostat. Hopefully I will install them on thursday at work.

The intake manifold is fine. It's actually really good for factory. I'd like to get a better fuel rail and some better injectors, but those can wait.

SheepStar
Thermostat is like $10, just get a new (OEM) one. Take it out completely and if you still have a cooling problem, it isn't the thermostat...

You can have your stock injectors cleaned for around $20-25 ea. and that alone can make a big difference (compared to the price of new injectors) if the ones you have are original.

I went to change my fuel filter this weekend and the bracket bent so I couldn't tighten down the banjo all the way and it sprayed fuel everywhere...:mad: I had to completely disassemble everything AGAIN to get it running.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sleestack said:
..... My next project car will be a track car based on something like an Elise or Atom.
And I would like to borrow your Lotus at some point in the fututre ;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
How much of the work are you doing? It's no fun just having everyone else do it.

3000 Lbs 700Hp = .23Hp/Lbs. What are you expecting for Qm times?

J_G,

I have the OEM thermostat. I'm just saying I'd like to fix my poor fuel mileage before my intake manifold. I also have to look at my throttle body because it's making a whistling noise. Must be a leak somewhere.

I haven't pulled my injectors yet, so I don't know what they're like. I did run a cleaner at work on them but that can only do so much.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Poor mileage? Does your idle fluctuate? If it does, this is usually related to the throttle body. Also check ALL of the ignition components - cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc... I had a mileage problem with my S13 and after TONS of diagnostics it turned out to be a bad plug wire!!

Whistling noise since you installed the intake or it has always done it? IMO, some of the AEMs do that, and it is more noticable with the short ram vs CAI.

Get a good header too, not a cheap-o one. It can make a noticable difference (with a good CAT and cat-back). Still, with I/H/E, the gains are not that big vs the cost in general.

Last edited:
S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Sheep said:
How much of the work are you doing? It's no fun just having everyone else do it.

3000 Lbs 700Hp = .23Hp/Lbs. What are you expecting for Qm times?
I have fun driving cars, not working on them. I'm also not a DIY guy when it comes to audio equipment, because I enjoy what they do rather than how they work. If I was working on a American classic I might be more hands on, but MBs require far too much specialized knowledge and tools. Very few tuners are capable of tuning MBs properly, especially because of the ECU. I am very involved in design parmeters and make all final decisions, but I leave the actual work and calculations to much more experienced hands. The main person working on my car actually comes from the Japanese import scene, where he had built one of the most legendary RX7s, but the shop works exclusively on MB, BMW and Ferraris.

1/4s should be in the 10s, but we're not really concerned about that as much as creating a car that has the right mix of power and driveability for a proper GT. It will also be run at Willowsprings. The W208 needed serious work to get it to handle the way I wanted it to and creating a 700hp car that can achieve finesses and ferociousness was not an easy task.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With 315s out back, it should hook up nicely :D

I like to do my own work, but that might have something to do with the fact that my dad is a mechanic :) There are some things that are better left to the guys who really know what they're doing though, for sure.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
With 315s out back, it should hook up nicely :D

I like to do my own work, but that might have something to do with the fact that my dad is a mechanic :) There are some things that are better left to the guys who really know what they're doing though, for sure.
Last month it was still on 275s. For kicks we floored it anyway. After burning an inch deep rut into the asphalt, the car just skated on smokey tires around the lot. It was pretty funny. 315s are definitely needed.

I have tons of respect for guys who really understand how to work on cars. Nevertheless, looking at all the CAD renderings of the designed engine components made it very clear to me that my fingers had no place in this project... other than to open up my checkbook.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
Poor mileage? Does your idle fluctuate? If it does, this is usually related to the throttle body. Also check ALL of the ignition components - cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc... I had a mileage problem with my S13 and after TONS of diagnostics it turned out to be a bad plug wire!!

Whistling noise since you installed the intake or it has always done it? IMO, some of the AEMs do that, and it is more noticable with the short ram vs CAI.

Get a good header too, not a cheap-o one. It can make a noticable difference (with a good CAT and cat-back). Still, with I/H/E, the gains are not that big vs the cost in general.
No, the Idle is fine. The Thermostat is opening early. The new intake did not cause the squeal, it's always been there. The cap, rotor, and plug wires are new, and the head and bottom end have been rebuilt. I'm getting the valves retuned at work tomorrow, and were going to install the new Thermostat and fuel filter(tried it myself today but couldn't get the bolts off). If I can find a place with metallic blue engine enamel I will install the new valve cover tomorrow as well, but there isn't a whole lot out there.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Painting started!

I started painting my valve cover today. Hopefully it will be on my car in the next couple days.

SheepStar

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Sheep,

What paint are you using? Did you consider powdercoating?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
This is basic paint (metallic). It's for cars, but I think its touch up paint. Valve covers don't get hot enough for engine enmale or high heat paint.

Powder coating would have upped the cost to the point where the mod would have been pointless. Firday or Saturday I'll clean off the paint on the raised letter and install this bad boy.

When this one is done, I'm going to redo the the Valve cover on my car and paint it flat red, or maybe polish it.

SheepStar

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Sleestack said:
Last month it was still on 275s. For kicks we floored it anyway. After burning an inch deep rut into the asphalt, the car just skated on smokey tires around the lot. It was pretty funny. 315s are definitely needed.

I have tons of respect for guys who really understand how to work on cars. Nevertheless, looking at all the CAD renderings of the designed engine components made it very clear to me that my fingers had no place in this project... other than to open up my checkbook.
Hey Sleestack,

315's are not going to spin much less than 275's with 700hp especialy with the tourqe multipilcation and low first gear ratios of modern automatic transmissions but they sure will look cool!:cool:

Please post pics when it's completed. I am a fan of that body style MB for the same reasons you are... modern muscle car styling.

Take care,
SBF1

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
STRONGBADF1 said:
Hey Sleestack,

315's are not going to spin much less than 275's SBF1
Well, that's true to a point. Just as much if not more depends on the compound used in the tire as the size. You can get a really sticky 275 and do much better than with a not so sticky 315. Suspension, weight transfer and instant center also play a major part. I've seen 700 hp cars on the strip that launch hard with 255 tires:eek:

Cool project, Sleestack! A longtime good friend of mine is a MB mechanic. He did some really trick stuff with an AMG suspension on a Porche race car for a local team;) Earned the team several protests at the race:rolleyes: For now they can't run it:(

Matt34

Matt34

Sheep said:
I started painting my valve cover today. Hopefully it will be on my car in the next couple days.

SheepStar
Looks good Sheep. I plan on getting the valve cover, intake manifold, upper and
lower thermostat housings and motor mount block powdercoated gloss red as a package deal for $199, then get a new injector cover in black.

Last edited:
S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
STRONGBADF1 said:
Hey Sleestack,

315's are not going to spin much less than 275's with 700hp especialy with the tourqe multipilcation and low first gear ratios of modern automatic transmissions but they sure will look cool!:cool:

Please post pics when it's completed. I am a fan of that body style MB for the same reasons you are... modern muscle car styling.

Take care,
SBF1

You are correct. We are also changing the torque converter and the gear ratio to make 1st gear usable.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
The Dukester said:
Well, that's true to a point. Just as much if not more depends on the compound used in the tire as the size. You can get a really sticky 275 and do much better than with a not so sticky 315. Suspension, weight transfer and instant center also play a major part. I've seen 700 hp cars on the strip that launch hard with 255 tires:eek:

Cool project, Sleestack! A longtime good friend of mine is a MB mechanic. He did some really trick stuff with an AMG suspension on a Porche race car for a local team;) Earned the team several protests at the race:rolleyes: For now they can't run it:(
Hi Dukester,

I agree, true to a point.:) A GT car is very different than a street/strip drag car though and I would hope handling and everyday reliability is more important than straight line acceleration.:) Bigger tires and some computer controled launch help will go a long way for sure though.

It's not often you read the words "instant center" at an a/v site.:cool: I used to be a inside sales / tech. person at a drag race chassis manufacturer. Do you have any idea how difficult it can be to explain to someone how adding 50lbs of weight to the front of their car could help make the car quicker and/or more consistant...:(

Takes me back,
SBF1

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Matt34 said:
Looks good Sheep. I plan on getting the valve cover, intake manifold, upper and
lower thermostat housings and motor mount block powdercoated gloss red as a package deal for $199, then get a new injector cover in black.
Nice. You should put up some pics of your whip. Tis Very Nice!

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis