Car audio, which speakers for this AMP?

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
For spring terminals, you would use a banana plug with a flex pin that can go in there. It is FAR more common to use bare wire, but if you are going to use a banana plug, you will want one with a flex pin that can go inside that spring terminal.

You might want to spend some time reading and asking questions at diymobileaudio.com as well. They ARE into exactly this.

Frankly, every time I see Skar, I wonder how they stack up against JL Audio. I have a JL 12W7 and it really does blow me away.
Awesome thanks for both the connector recommendation and the diymobileaudio site, I have some questions about distribution blocks and other stuff, will post it there.

I heard Skar is very low-end, and I heard Great stuff about JL Audio. I went with Skar audio for the sub and Alpine for the front, rear and amp. I wanted a KICKER 44VL7S122 12" but Skar is having a sale right now and I'm on a tight budget.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi guys what type of terminals can I use for these connectors? I don't want to use the bare twisted wire:

View attachment 58796
Why don't you want to use bare wire? It's the most direct connection without having an unbroken run from amp to speaker.

You could use this with banana plugs but that means that you will have added three points connection to the signal path and, therefore, another three potential points of failure.

https://www.parts-express.com/Square-Speaker-Terminal-3-1-8-Satin-Nickel-Binding-Post-260-312?quantity=1

And don't start with the "I only want Gold" garbage, either- for all practical purposes, Nickel is just as good.

highfigh

highfigh

Awesome thanks for both the connector recommendation and the diymobileaudio site, I have some questions about distribution blocks and other stuff, will post it there.

I heard Skar is very low-end, and I heard Great stuff about JL Audio. I went with Skar audio for the sub and Alpine for the front, rear and amp. I wanted a KICKER 44VL7S122 12" but Skar is having a sale right now and I'm on a tight budget.
I have actually heard good things about SKAR, but haven't heard their equipment, although I know someone who uses it.

Have you done car audio before? If not, you need to know several things that are not negotiable WRT power cabling, grounding, protection and how to make connections. If you don't run power cables properly and the hot shorts to the car's chassis without protection, your car will burn.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Why don't you want to use bare wire? It's the most direct connection without having an unbroken run from amp to speaker.

You could use this with banana plugs but that means that you will have added three points connection to the signal path and, therefore, another three potential points of failure.

https://www.parts-express.com/Square-Speaker-Terminal-3-1-8-Satin-Nickel-Binding-Post-260-312?quantity=1

And don't start with the "I only want Gold" garbage, either- for all practical purposes, Nickel is just as good.
I just wanted something fancy, I hate when you twist the wires and some don't go in completely, but I think I will go with bare wire just for this case, I used banana plugs and those are pretty awesome I liked them.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
I have actually heard good things about SKAR, but haven't heard their equipment, although I know someone who uses it.

Have you done car audio before? If not, you need to know several things that are not negotiable WRT power cabling, grounding, protection and how to make connections. If you don't run power cables properly and the hot shorts to the car's chassis without protection, your car will burn.
I haven't I usually go to a local car audio shop but there are no pro sites where I live, they're super sketchy and don't care about your car.

highfigh

highfigh

I just wanted something fancy, I hate when you twist the wires and some don't go in completely, but I think I will go with bare wire just for this case, I used banana plugs and those are pretty awesome I liked them.
So, take the time to twist them properly. If the wires are unlikely to be disconnected frequently, there's no reason to use any kind of plug. Banana plugs were originally designed for lab and test equipment that's frequently reconfigured, not for (relatively) permanent installation.

As long as the terminals and wire ends don't become so hot that the springs relax, the original terminals will work fine.

highfigh

highfigh

I haven't I usually go to a local car audio shop but there are no pro sites where I live, they're super sketchy and don't care about your car.
Haven't you searched online for parts and info before? Where do you live (I would guess Hawaii/Pacific Rim if your user name is an indication)?

Check www.the12volt.com for info about wire gauge, wiring, grounding, etc.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Haven't you searched online for parts and info before? Where do you live (I would guess Hawaii/Pacific Rim if your user name is an indication)?

Check www.the12volt.com for info about wire gauge, wiring, grounding, etc.
Not really, I always bought locally. Some brands you never heard of some janky stuff. This is the first time I'm buying online and importing it.

I live in Venezuela, Tachira.

highfigh

highfigh

Not really, I always bought locally. Some brands you never heard of some janky stuff. This is the first time I'm buying online and importing it.

I live in Venezuela, Tachira.
Plenty of videos on YouTube with SKAR and other brands. Also, a lot of brands cause "Who?" reactions and there is a lot of bad stuff out there but I have no idea what is available to you in Venezuela. You should be able to find reviews of equipment easily- I just type '(brand and model) Reviews' in the search bar- car audio magazines and forums are good sources, although they all receive advertisement money from manufacturers, so some articles can seem like they're just writing good things because they were paid.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis