Car audio, which speakers for this AMP?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Most car speakers will be 4 Ohm nominal and that is what you should look for.

Half the impedance rating is often given as a sort of idea of whether the amp is robust or not. Heavy duty amps will roughly double power at half the impedance. It is not to say it should be used with 2 Ohm speakers, but is saying if you have a low impedance load that it can handle it.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Most car speakers will be 4 Ohm nominal and that is what you should look for.

Half the impedance rating is often given as a sort of idea of whether the amp is robust or not. Heavy duty amps will roughly double power at half the impedance. It is not to say it should be used with 2 Ohm speakers, but is saying if you have a low impedance load that it can handle it.
Thanks! do you know about car audio? I'm looking for speaker recommendations on Amazon

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd try to stick with the tried and true names. I always liked Alpine, Infinity Ref or Kappa and Blaupunkt. Most of the big names will be better than what comes in most cars.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't know what kind of speaker installation you're up for, but I'd look to Stereo Integrity and/or Sundown Audio for car stuff (Stereo Integrity for some home sub drivers, too). You going to use a sub? I'd get another amp for that....

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Don't know what kind of speaker installation you're up for, but I'd look to Stereo Integrity and/or Sundown Audio for car stuff (Stereo Integrity for some home sub drivers, too). You going to use a sub? I'd get another amp for that....
Yes I'm also looking for a sub, I saw this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z9FW5TT/?coliid=I1E0EH4MAZBEEH&colid=2GXSKB69XTW90&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im

with this Amp: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WDTQHSQ/?coliid=I2NN8N25KTNFA0&colid=2GXSKB69XTW90&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

What do you think?

The Amp raiting is: 330 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the box matches up to that driver's requirements for best performance, but not familiar with Skar particularly nor looked for t/s parameters or anything. The Stereo Integrity SQL would be what I'd go to for something newer/larger, tho, especially when spending someone else's money :) . That Alpine amp looks decent. I got one of these Rockford Fosgate amps when I had to replace driver/amp in my truck (but that amp was only $150 at the time) and used an Infinity Reference 1070 as it matched up well to the box I already had. Didn't need to update head unit or speakers, tho.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
If the box matches up to that driver's requirements for best performance, but not familiar with Skar particularly nor looked for t/s parameters or anything. The Stereo Integrity SQL would be what I'd go to for something newer/larger, tho, especially when spending someone else's money :) . That Alpine amp looks decent. I got one of these Rockford Fosgate amps when I had to replace driver/amp in my truck (but that amp was only $150 at the time) and used an Infinity Reference 1070 as it matched up well to the box I already had. Didn't need to update head unit or speakers, tho.
I'm not sure if the box matches up to driver's requirements, some one from my country invented it, its very famous here in Venezuela and its called a Turbo box its known because it makes any sub very loud, a guy told me kicker subs would work better with this type of box, I just ordered these:

Front: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079G6CZF7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079G199KB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I think I f**ed up with the Amp, its only 55 watts RMS x 4, while the speakers are rated up to 80w RMS

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure if the box matches up to driver's requirements, some one from my country invented it, its very famous here in Venezuela and its called a Turbo box its known because it makes any sub very loud, a guy told me kicker subs would work better with this type of box, I just ordered these:

Front: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079G6CZF7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079G199KB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I think I f**ed up with the Amp, its only 55 watts RMS x 4, while the speakers are rated up to 80w RMS
Max speaker wattage ratings aren't as important as the sensitivity....that really determines how far your amp might go for your use. Just making a sub loud isn't the point outside of an spl competition (which isn't my thing at all). Sub boxes need to be correct for their parameters/use....software is the usual way to go for that, altho some sub driver manufacturers may have particular recommendations for boxes.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Max speaker wattage ratings aren't as important as the sensitivity....that really determines how far your amp might go for your use. Just making a sub loud isn't the point outside of an spl competition (which isn't my thing at all). Sub boxes need to be correct for their parameters/use....software is the usual way to go for that, altho some sub driver manufacturers may have particular recommendations for boxes.
Both speakers sensitivity are: 88 dB

Here are the Amp specs:

1668644489942.png

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Amp should be plenty for those speakers.

That box is simply a band pass box and the design has been around a long time. It is intended to enhance specific frequencies and get loud, but might not be the most accurate.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Amp should be plenty for those speakers.

That box is simply a band pass box and the design has been around a long time. It is intended to enhance specific frequencies and get loud, but might not be the most accurate.
You mean the Turbo box is a band pass box? somebody lied to me then lol

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Depends on what kind of performance, too. For audiophile quality, the size of the sub should also match the size interior it is placed in. 12" was too much in my Tacoma and was pretty much wasted space.

These days, a generic brand from China can pop up over night, get enough cheapskates on the internet to swear by it, and 6 mos from now you would think it some legacy brand via the hype.

Finally, be prepared to tighten up any loose trim in the car or the buzzing will drive you and everyone around you bonkers. I still need to remove my door panels and find the gremlins that appeared after adding just an 8" sub.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Hi guys what type of terminals can I use for these connectors? I don't want to use the bare twisted wire:

1669335062303.png

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
For spring terminals, you would use a banana plug with a flex pin that can go in there. It is FAR more common to use bare wire, but if you are going to use a banana plug, you will want one with a flex pin that can go inside that spring terminal.

You might want to spend some time reading and asking questions at diymobileaudio.com as well. They ARE into exactly this.

Frankly, every time I see Skar, I wonder how they stack up against JL Audio. I have a JL 12W7 and it really does blow me away.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis