canton vento reference

C

Cons29

Audiophyte
Hello, new to this forum, I've only seen a few places so far where chrono is being discussed.
I do have some questions (sorry if I'm hijacking the post), it's not easy to find info about these it seems.
I'm looking to buy a center, so far I see 3 chrono, 505.2 515 and then SL 556. How do they rank? Also, will a 3500h be sufficient? I dont crank them up that high (living in a 2nd floor apartment right now). Thanks in advance

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have the Chrono SL 556.2 center. It has the ceramic coated tweeters like the Vento and Reference series. It’s a 3 way speaker as well. It also has the titanium coated drivers like the Vento series. And it’s on sale at Acessories4less right now for $399.

C

Cons29

Audiophyte
Ok, so it's a step up from 505/515? My space is limited so I'm looking for not-so-big center channel.
Never bought from a4less, though I see the name often being mentioned.
I sent them an email but maybe the members here can provide feedback. So how does warranty work, I believe Canton is not us based yeah? So do we ship it back to a4less or Canton has service centers here in the US? Thank you for responding

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, so it's a step up from 505/515? My space is limited so I'm looking for not-so-big center channel.
Never bought from a4less, though I see the name often being mentioned.
I sent them an email but maybe the members here can provide feedback. So how does warranty work, I believe Canton is not us based yeah? So do we ship it back to a4less or Canton has service centers here in the US? Thank you for responding
Yes the Chrono SL 556.2 is very similar to the Vento 866.2 except the cabinet is squared off instead of curved.

A 3way center is a better design than a 2 way center. The ceramic coated tweeter is very nice.

I’m not sure on service and warranty issues. You should call and ask. A speaker usually is maintenance free as long as it arrives from the shipping in good condition. This company is in Florida.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
The 556.2 is a great option but it’s not close to the 866.2. Which it really shouldn’t be, still it’s great. I own the 515 and 866.2 and it’s a huge difference in spl and sound quality. Have heard the 596.2 and 556.2 and it has a smoother top end like the vento line but on a lower level.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would think the new Reference 50k center with 7in drivers would have a ton of SPL advantage. That one will be on my list in a few years. :)

Edit: Oh the description is wrong on the A4L website for 866.2 saying 6in (like 556.2). It’s actually 7in like the Ref 50k.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I would think the new Reference 50k center with 7in drivers would have a ton of SPL advantage. That one will be on my list in a few years. :)

Edit: Oh the description is wrong on the A4L website for 866.2 saying 6in (like 556.2). It’s actually 7in like the Ref 50k.
Yup, the 866.2 has 7" woofers, but the Vento centre and stand-mounts is no longer offered in high gloss cherry finish :(

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So you would need a Reference 50k to get cherry. :)
And the Reference 9K to replace my old Vento 820 surrounds, but somehow I think my wife would not approve since this year I got the Vento 886.2 as well as two SVS SB-3000 subwoofers in high gloss black. :)

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Yeah. The 866.2 is actually better than older 50.2 center. Using the next generation of ceramic tweeters and titanium cones. The 7” drivers are much more dynamic and take more power. The 556.2 max power is 140 watts and 866.2 is 200watts.

the 50.2 can take up to 220 watts but this could be marketing too.The 50.2 and 866.2 are same size and weight.

The new reference 50k center has more in common with 866.2. The biggest reason is moving that tweeter up in cabinet makes a huge difference in sound quality. When tweeter is on axis with drivers you’ll get lobbing. Moving up helps that greatly and you can see all the new models do that.

also the 515 vs 556.2 is close with different sound characteristics. 515 is sharper and has more snap with the aluminum magnesium tweeter. Now 556.2 is more neutral and smoother with still great detail. Overall they are same size and power handling. Meant more for small to medium size room. I think I’d buy the one that matches my avr or processor. The 556.2 with a Yamaha, anthem, onkyo or integra would sound great.The 515 will sound better with denon, marantz, Rotel or pioneer. It’s really all personal preference but 866.2 or 556.2 is too dark sounding on something like a marantz 7012 or denon 4400. Pioneer elite also is darker sounding and pairs better with sharper speakers.

hope this helps.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My 556.2 does well in my room. Plenty of SPL actually. My mains are Vento 836 and it works well. My room is 16x17

C

Cons29

Audiophyte
Yes the Chrono SL 556.2 is very similar to the Vento 866.2 except the cabinet is squared off instead of curved.

A 3way center is a better design than a 2 way center. The ceramic coated tweeter is very nice.

I’m not sure on service and warranty issues. You should call and ask. A speaker usually is maintenance free as long as it arrives from the shipping in good condition. This company is in Florida.
Thanks, people say the 505 is a good match for a kef (I have some q150`s). I can't spend too much but these price range is ok.
Will a 3500h be able to drive it properly? I dont really crank them up that much.
In any case, thank you, learning a lot. Maybe I'll grab the 556

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, people say the 505 is a good match for a kef (I have some q150`s). I can't spend too much but these price range is ok.
Will a 3500h be able to drive it properly? I dont really crank them up that much.
In any case, thank you, learning a lot. Maybe I'll grab the 556
I’m not sure on matching with Kef q150 but the 556.2 is a very nice center channel.

C

Cons29

Audiophyte
Thank you for all the replies. I ordered a 556 hopefully it matches well. Now I have to wait (getting it early is expensive)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you for all the replies. I ordered a 556 hopefully it matches well. Now I have to wait (getting it early is expensive)
Congratulations! I'm glad you took snakeeyes advice! I consider that one of the very best deals on a very high-quality speaker! I don't know how it will match up with your KEFs, but I consider that ceramic tweeter in the same league as my RAAL ribbons or my Focal Be (both are much more expensive) and Canton did a pretty fine job with the crossovers!
You will be impressed by the build quality!
IMHO, this is in a league well above the Q150's! That might not be totally ideal for sounds that pan across your front soundstage, but for clarity of dialogue etc I can't see you going back!
Let us know how you like it!

Last edited:
C

Cons29

Audiophyte
Congratulations! I'm glad you took snakeeyes advice! I consider that one of the very best deals on a very high-quality speaker! I don't know how it will match up with your KEFs, but I consider that ceramic tweeter in the same league as my RAAL ribbons or my Focal Be (both are much more expensive) and Canton did a pretty fine job with the crossovers!
You will be impressed by the build quality!
IMHO, this is in a league well above the Q150's! That might not be totally ideal for sounds that pan across your front soundstage, but for clarity of dialogue etc I can't see you going back!
Let us know how you like it!
I'm not too picky, I just enjoy music and movies. So I think (and hope) it would be fine. As long as the speakers don't sound like a band out of tune I should be happy. Looking forward to it.
Now, to convince the wife for the 3500h upgrade lol

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not too picky, I just enjoy music and movies. So I think (and hope) it would be fine. As long as the speakers don't sound like a band out of tune I should be happy. Looking forward to it.
Now, to convince the wife for the 3500h upgrade lol
What are you currently using for a receiver?

C

Cons29

Audiophyte
What are you currently using for a receiver?
It's x1400h, at that time I didn't want to spend too much. It's ok for my needs. Not sure how much it will work with the 556 though.
We are renting an apartment so I can't really rattle the house, don't want to see cops visiting lol

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It's x1400h, at that time I didn't want to spend too much. It's ok for my needs. Not sure how much it will work with the 556 though.
We are renting an apartment so I can't really rattle the house, don't want to see cops visiting lol
Give the X1400 a shot before you replace it. The upgrade from 80W to 100W does not really gain too much when you consider that the relationship between power and perceived volume is logarithmic instead of linear!
FWIW, The Canton center is 1.5dB more sensitive than the Q150.
If you do upgrade, the 3500 is a good one to get.

In case you don't know about Accessories4less, they often have some of teh best prices if you don't mind a refurbbed unit. Always check Amazon, because sometimes they will have an open box unit for the same price, but I have bought a couple of dozen items from A4L with no complaints!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis