canton vento reference

R

rdkusher

Audioholic Intern
has anyone here heard the canton vento reference 9.2 dc?if so i would like to hear your impressions.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I've not heard the 9.2 myself, but here are some measurements that might be of interest.

The Google translated text is:

"Was Canton with the predecessor a spectacular litter succeeded, this is even more true for the optimized Reference 9.2. It would be difficult to find in the noble class of the compact a universal usable box than this. Audiophile, balanced and dynamic sound! Fantastic.
The amplitude frequency response shows what you hear: Here everything is right, there are no break-ins or exaggerations, the box reproduces straight-line and balanced down to 50 hertz. Even off-axis, the high-tone waste is extremely minimal, the omnidirectional behavior thus excellent. We recommend stand installation and easy angle to the listening position. The efficiency of 83 dB is average for a speaker, but good for a compact speaker. Excellent is the step response, which shows a perfect, virtually flawless timing of the two chassis - and explains the equally inspiring as credible liveliness of the lecture. The impedance curve reveals a minimum of 3.2 ohms around 50 Hertz, which is standard - but a stable amplifier can not hurt!"

canton_vento_9_2_reference.png

R

rdkusher

Audioholic Intern
thanks i have been looking around but not come across that one yet.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I took a gamble on the Vento 820.2 from Acessories4less when it was on sale last year for $720 /pr. I really like the ceramic aluminum tweeters and the build quality of the cabinets. In my small den. 2400 cu ft, I’m actually quite pleased with their output for the 6in drivers, but in a larger space you would want a bigger speaker probably. I use a Rythmik sub and 90hz crossover at the AVR. My center is the Chrono SL 556.2 with the same tweeter. I’m installing In wall Canton 969 for sides.

I had heard so many good things last year about Canton from @KEW and @ematthews so that is what made me take the gamble. :)

R

rdkusher

Audioholic Intern
i talked to mark at ac4less this afternoon.nice guy and he spent some time with me answering my questions.i asked about the 9.2 and the 836.2.his opinion was that even though the 836 is a newer speaker that the 9.2 is still the better speaker and worth the extra expenditure.he also said that my denon 3400h while adequate would not provide the current to get them to sound their best.i would like to know what you folks think about this.i was also curious about the measurements from the review above.they state the sensitivity at 83 db but based on that graph it looks more like 85-86 to me.is there something i am misinterpreting?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
i talked to mark at ac4less this afternoon.nice guy and he spent some time with me answering my questions.i asked about the 9.2 and the 836.2.his opinion was that even though the 836 is a newer speaker that the 9.2 is still the better speaker and worth the extra expenditure.he also said that my denon 3400h while adequate would not provide the current to get them to sound their best.i would like to know what you folks think about this.i was also curious about the measurements from the review above.they state the sensitivity at 83 db but based on that graph it looks more like 85-86 to me.is there something i am misinterpreting?
I'm not sure about the 83 vs 86 dB efficiency.However, just looking at things, if you plan to use a subwoofer, you will avoid the really low dip to 3.2 Ohms and listening in stereo (only 2 channels) insures that the power supply has plenty of reserves.
It is a safe bet that your 3400 has the exact same amp section as the 3300 that AH reviewed.
It provides 154 Watts into two channels CFP-BW with 0.1%THD into 4 ohms and Dynamic power rating of 277 watts into 2 channels at 4 Ohms. My understanding is that dynamic power is what the amp is capable for the short term peaks which are common in music.
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3300w-1/measurements

Not knowing the particulars, such as how far the away the LP is and how loud you listen (which you should plug into the calculator Snakeeyes linked), I would generally expect this is enough power to satisfy.
I definitely would not rush out for an amp until giving the 3400 a fair crack at it!

PS - when using the link, note that the power measurements for the Yamaha A860 are presented in the first chart. This is a little confusing, but the article was making the point that the Denon had a capable amp section and was using the Yamaha as an example of a modern AVR with less capability.

R

rdkusher

Audioholic Intern
sorry,i should have provided this info in my first post.my room is fairly small at 11 1/2 feet by 18 feet.due to the layout i have my system set up on the long wall.my listening position is about 81/2 feet from the speakers.i use this system for both music and movies.i don't typically use a sub.i don't listen at loud volumes.i found a review with measurements for my denon.2 channels into 8 ohms it puts out 123 watts at 0.1% distortion and 145.4 watts at 0.1% at 4 ohms.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It depends how many speakers. I’m sure Denon can power 2 speakers at 83db sensitivity. Not sure about 7 speakers or 11 though. :)

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Love my canton and I’d look for an amp or a higher quality avr. That denon 3400 runs really hot with any significant load. Would be a shame to pop a tweeter it such a great speaker.

I found the newer canton like the 896 is actually better then the comparable reference line. Or at least better to me. The new drivers and tweets are definitely better to me.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have to say the newer drivers are actually quite similar, but the ceramic coated tweeters are always special on all of these Cantons.

I have the 836 books and 556.2 center in my den, but I also have an older 820.2 pair setup in my bedroom 2.1. As far as the newer titanium coating on mids and woofs, I don’t really hear a difference. YMMV :)

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I have to say I agree that canton is special and they both are very good. It’s a shame more people don’t own these. I did notice a difference in weight with the bass and extension between the 890.2 and 896. Both are special in their own way for sure. Only downside is they love power and need a great amp that has 350 watts at least at 4ohms. Really the more power the better.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe on the towers an amp is needed. I’m using a Yamaha 2060 AVR in my den with bookshelves for 5.1. I have a Yamaha 770 AVR I’m my bedroom with just books in 2.1. I may move my 681 Yamaha AVR in there though.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Yeah, it really depends more on room size and spl levels. Yamaha 770 or 681 would really struggle at higher volumes. 2060 has good power in 2ch though and that’s definitely a huge step up from denon 3400. 2060 has more in common with denon 8500 or marantz 8012.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, it really depends more on room size and spl levels. Yamaha 770 or 681 would really struggle at higher volumes. 2060 has good power in 2ch though and that’s definitely a huge step up from denon 3400. 2060 has more in common with denon 8500 or marantz 8012.
Ya the bedroom system isn’t being used at high SPL. It’s a small room and only 2.1

The Den is only 17x16.5x8.5 so it is not a big room either and 5.1 currently. I may try an amp if 5.1.4 becomes a struggle but it may be just fine with the 2060.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
We have a lot in common with great speakers. I agree every master bedroom needs a setup. Mines a pioneer elite 502, chrono 518, chrono 515, 65” c8 oled, Rythmik e15, kimber 8pr, audioquest carbon hdmi, Apple TV 4K and wireless xi6 Xfinity 4k box.
I had definitive 7001 and clr3000 with that setup before about 6 months ago. Surprised me that these canton are a upgrade from those and get very dynamic.

Attachments

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
We have a lot in common with great speakers. I agree every master bedroom needs a setup. Mines a pioneer elite 502, chrono 518, chrono 515, 65” c8 oled, Rythmik e15, kimber 8pr, audioquest carbon hdmi, Apple TV 4K and wireless xi6 Xfinity 4k box.
I had definitive 7001 and clr3000 with that setup before about 6 months ago. Surprised me that these canton are a upgrade from those and get very dynamic.
I had DT BP10B so I know the differences are huge compared to the Ceramic coated tweeters of Canton. I use Rythmik LVX12 in the den but my dual HSU VTF2 mk5 may migrate there. (Much more mid bass). I have a Rythmik L12 in the bedroom. (Black Ventos in Den, White in master)

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
How do you like the lvx12? I was actually thinking about downsizing my fv18 subs in the main room. I just don’t think I want such tall subs anymore. I like the idea of the new g22 and g25 subs.

I actually had a jtr cap2400 in there for a few weeks and wasn’t very impressed. I preferred dual f15 I had but was convinced few months back I needed ported fv18 paper rev2. Lol I have one up front and one In back of room. I’ve run my rew sweeps and I’m getting 115db@10hz and max spl of 130db from 50-90hz before compression in room. Makes it fun to show off but 99% of the time it’s useless.

Attachments

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
How do you like the lvx12? I was actually thinking about downsizing my fv18 subs in the main room. I just don’t think I want such tall subs anymore. I like the idea of the new g22 and g25 subs.

I actually had a jtr cap2400 in there for a few weeks and wasn’t very impressed. I preferred dual f15 I had but was convinced few months back I needed ported fv18 paper rev2. Lol I have one up front and one In back of room. I’ve run my rew sweeps and I’m getting 115db@10hz and max spl of 130db from 50-90hz before compression in room. Makes it fun to show off but 99% of the time it’s useless.
It’s weaker than my HSU ported 12’s in mid bass which is a downside but I have plenty mid bass in my Canton 836 bookshelves so it works out. I really like the low end of the LVX12 sub though. My suspicion is it’s tuned lower than the HSU.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis