Canton Vento Reference 3 DC

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I know @KEW has Focals with Be tweeters but they are a different model. And he has Canton Ventos.
Hmm, as I may be coming down to deciding between Canton vs Focal, I'd be interested in KEW's opinions on tweeters, i.e., Focal Be vs Canton ceramic vs Canton al-mg.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm, as I may be coming down to deciding between Canton vs Focal, I'd be interested in KEW's opinions on tweeters, i.e., Focal Be vs Canton ceramic vs Canton al-mg.
I know from other threads that he ranks the Canton ceramic as being up there with Be and ribbon tweeters, and definitely a step ahead of the al-mg tweeters.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I know from other threads that he ranks the Canton ceramic as being up there with Be and ribbon tweeters, and definitely a step ahead of the al-mg tweeters.
Thanks! Hmm, well if the ceramic tweeter is that much better, since I don't want to pony up the money to get the Vento Reference 3.2 DC with its ceramic tweeter, would I be better off to go with the Vento Reference 3 DC with its al-mg tweeter OR the Vento 896.2 DC with its ceramic tweeter? Decisions, decisions...

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks! Hmm, well if the ceramic tweeter is that much better, since I don't want to pony up the money to get the Vento Reference 3.2 DC with its ceramic tweeter, would I be better off to go with the Vento Reference 3 DC with its al-mg tweeter OR the Vento 896.2 DC with its ceramic tweeter? Decisions, decisions...
From everything I've read (I have no personal first-hand experience) the ceramic tweeter is the one to go for if you're going with Canton

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

First post @KEW talks about the tweeters there. There’s other threads he talks about it too if you do advanced search. I bet he wouldn’t mind if you private messaged him. :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
From everything I've read (I have no personal first-hand experience) the ceramic tweeter is the one to go for if you're going with Canton
Here was a thread from a few years ago that I had stumbled across when researching Transducer Labs Beryllium tweeters
EDIT
I'm not saying that's the tweeters, but I've only seen a couple that didn't measure well.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Well, I guess perhaps my question is irrelevant after all because you can't get into a good sized Focal floorstander with Be tweeter for the price that you can get a good sized floorstanding Canton with the ceramic tweeter.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well, I guess perhaps my question is irrelevant after all because you can't get into a good sized Focal floorstander with Be tweeter for the price that you can get a good sized floorstanding Canton with the ceramic tweeter.
Stereo Subs :) with the bookshelf speakers

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know @KEW has Focals with Be tweeters but they are a different model. And he has Canton Ventos.
I consider the ceramic tweeter (as implemented by Canton) a ground-breaking product because it is (to my ear) competitive with the Focal Be tweeter but much less expensive to produce. Canton also seems to have some solid designers/engineers on staff, so I would guess you will find these at the same level (but I have not heard the Reference speakers).
I have the Vento 820.2 that I compared closely with my Focal Solo6 Be. I consider them too close given that the Focals cost over 4 times as much. What I noticed during my comparison was that the Ceramic tweeter of the Canton did a better job of capturing all of the harmonics of Symphonic chimes and also did a better job with producing the sound of an aggressively played trombone (which has an amazing array of overtones if you ever look at a spectrograph). I spend at least 7 hours a week playing in bands with trombones, so that is one of my litmus tests. That said, I found it was a little easier to hear distinctly each voice on the Focals (not that the Cantons were unclear). My Solo6 Be is a studio monitor, so it may be that Focal did something to tune them just for this, but I think it is the quality of the drivers that does it. The motor structure of the Canton reference series is beefed up over the Vento, so I think you can expect performance on par with your Electras. They will sound different, but deciding which you like better with two speakers as good as these are gets down to small nuances and personal preference. IF you put them in different rooms, it is more likely that you will prefer the one in the room with better acoustics than due to clear superiority of one speaker over the other.
I am really looking forward to your experience on this, I keep wondering if I should move up to one of Canton's Anniversary Edition speakers that use the Reference K drivers!
I believe a 100/200WPC amp would do fine, but there are a lot of particulars specific to your situation to determine how much power you will use. Here is a calculator you can play with:

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Dang, I'm just reading your comments here and on agon. You're strongly tempting me to finally replace my Legacy Audio Signature II from the 1990s! I wish I could get the deal you got on the 3.2s. You description sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. The problem with replacing my Signature IIs is that, in order to come close to their low frequency extension, you usually have to pay big bucks. But it sounds like the 3.2s will offer similar extension, but probably with much more bass definition. I just don't know how much better the ceramic tweeter of the 3.2DC might sound to me. Some here say it is a significant difference.
I purchase the Reference 3 DC not the Reference 3.2 DC. That being said the only difference is that the 3 DC has a different tweeter than the 3.2. Some say the 3 DC has the sweeter tweeter.

I owned the Legacy Classic about 20 years ago and the Salk HT3 speakers 5 years ago. Both have good bass but the Cantons, in my opinion, has expectational bass. Remember at one time these were $16k a pair and a Steroephile Class A rated speaker if that means anything to you. Last night I had 3 of my nieces over to my house ages from 17 to 25 years. We were playing all kinds of music as as the music played I kept saying to myself, these are great speakers.

I believe these are truly a reference and full range speaker that lacks nothing. My brother asked did I have a subwoofer hooked up, I said no and he agreed. No subwoofer needed.

You could email Mark at A4L to see if he would give you a similar deal. I got mine for $3400.00 ship out the door to me. I don't believe you will be disappointed. I can't imagine a better value. Good luck.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
I can't comment one the 2 speakers because I haven't heard the Focals. But right now while my dedicated listening room is being built I am running the Canton 3 DC with a very modest system, a Bluesound Power Node 2 with only 60 watts. The speakers still sound great with even this setup. I can't imagine what they will sound like when my 300 watts integrated amp is hook-up to the Canton.

I know A4L sells both the Cantons and the Focals line of speakers so you might want to contact them directly. Good luck.

Good luck.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Gentlemen,

Because I just recently purchase the Canton Reference 3 DC and have the spec sheet in my hand this is what it says: Tweeter: 25mm (1") aluminum-ceramic--oxyd dome, vibration-damped. It appear to be listed wrong on the A4L website which show the 3.2 also with the same tweeter. Anyway, in my opinion, it is a sweet sound tweeter.

What's interesting in the spec sheet is that all of the other speakers listed, the 1 DC, 5 DC, 7 DC, and 9 DC all have the Aluminum-manganese dome.

Regards

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
If it’s towers you want, they do have one last pair of A45 towers. That’s another choice

(I do like Everett’s suggestion of bookshelves and dual subs though). :)
Thanks, so the A45 looks, in terms of size, to be between the Vento 896.2 and the Vento Reference 3 DC. And has a ceramic tweeter. I wonder, is this tweeter the same as the one in the Vento 896.2 and the Vento Reference 3.2 DC? And it has three 7" woofers vs two 8.5" woofers on the Vento Reference 3 models.

Looks good, but I'm not sure that glossy white finish is going to pass the WAF test in our family room!:)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Is this setup for home theater or just music?

Any subwoofer(s) already?

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Mines is strictly for two channel only and definitely no subwoofers needed for my set-up,

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Is this setup for home theater or just music?

Any subwoofer(s) already?
I'm assuming that question was for me. Mine has to suffice for music and movies, as it is in the family room and I don't have a HT room.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'm assuming that question was for me. Mine has to suffice for music and movies, as it is in the family room and I don't have a HT room.

So will WAF allow a subwoofer?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis