Canton Vento Reference 3 DC

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
As for the dealer in question I’ll leave that to him to post if he prefers. I respect his privacy and what he does for a living. His shop is not open to everyone, you have to get an appointment. Even has a waiting list due to his other profession.

As I said before I can contact him and his company to make an appointment. If anyone is ever interested.
In the SF bay area, right?

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
So, I found out that white definitely has zero WAF! Cherry and black are okay. Sadly, our discussions about actually buying speakers are still in the hypothetical vein. Working on it.:cool:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So, I found out that white definitely has zero WAF! Cherry and black are okay. Sadly, our discussions about actually buying speakers are still in the hypothetical vein. Working on it.:cool:
Ya I actually got complemented by the GF on the Black Vento 836 on black LS300 stands in the Den. But the white Vento 820.2 was not well received... so those will stay in the bedroom 2.1. Win/Win. :)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
They have the 896.2 DC in cherry but the 866.2 center is in white or black. I think @Trell mentioned that before.
That is the case, sadly. I've asked Canton last year if the planned to offer the bookshelves and the center in cherry and Canton said no.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
As for the dealer in question I’ll leave that to him to post if he prefers.
Right, because this dealer might prefer not taking our money.

I respect his privacy and what he does for a living. His shop is not open to everyone, you have to get an appointment. Even has a waiting list due to his other profession.
In this other profession, is he open to taking anybody's money or is that a "Take my Money by Appointment Only" operation as well ?

As I said before I can contact him and his company to make an appointment.
Hey, not that I don't trust you but can you show me where you said that before? This request you might actually be able to satisfy because I haven't read this whole thread to call you out on more real facts you just made up.

If anyone is ever interested.
We're interested! Look around, it's an audio forum not a sowing circle. :rolleyes:

Heeeeeyyyyyyyy ... this dealer, does he ONLY see people that you pre-approve? Are you like his booking agent?

One more thing, in your dealers other profession, does he have a different IP address that you post from with a different user name to like your own posts? I'm only asking.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
KEW was already told that he could contact and I’d setup a meeting.

this dealer doesn’t do it for money, it’s all for fun. He runs huge parts of probably the biggest company in the world. So I can’t give his address to his massive warehouse/studio where millions of dollars of equipment stays. I was lucky enough to meet him 20 years ago in San Fran after a game.

so good luck with trying to tear me down. It’s not working. Again thanks for all the support to everyone else. Only one IP address here but maybe I’m able to go back in time post for many years then open a new account just to secretly like it.

I’m done with the back and forth. I’ve tried for many posts but keep on getting pulled back in.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
KEW was already told that he could contact and I’d setup a meeting.
After the way he treated you?

KEW or Keith sounds like you have a real problem with me.
Your magnanimity is boundless.

this dealer doesn’t do it for money, it’s all for fun. He runs huge parts of probably the biggest company in the world.
Uh huh, a no name dealer that runs a huge no name company and hangs with you, a no name guy ...

So I can’t give his address to his massive warehouse/studio where millions of dollars of equipment stays.
Oh yeaaaaaah ... millions of dollars of equipment with a zero dollar security budget.
Happens all the time.

so good luck with trying to tear me down. It’s not working.
In the words of PENG
The part should not be stated as though it was a fact.

Again thanks for all the support to everyone else.
Nothing you say will go unchallenged. You won't show proof of this support because it's made up! Nobody is supporting you. The real posters you interacted with were being polite until you started talking about chip amps in Denons and 4 point 2 way crossovers ... points you failed to address btw.

Only one IP address here but maybe I’m able to go back in time post for many years then open a new account just to secretly like it.
That's about the only way you're gonna rack up any credibility here: Time Travel.

I’m done with the back and forth.
Apology accepted. :)

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Ok so back to speakers for a second,

Thanks to all for the actual Canton chatter on this thread as well as a few of your personal speaker reviews, the info helped guide me towards the next audition.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm, as I may be coming down to deciding between Canton vs Focal, I'd be interested in KEW's opinions on tweeters, i.e., Focal Be vs Canton ceramic vs Canton al-mg.
Just sound really good to command that high of a price , how do you even find a job that pays enough to afford high end audio ? Most jobs around me don’t even pay a living wage . I apply weekly no luck yet need a desk job .

How do you even hear the these speakers if no stores carry them ?

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Just sound really good to command that high of a price , how do you even find a job that pays enough to afford high end audio ? Most jobs around me don’t even pay a living wage . I apply weekly no luck yet need a desk job .

How do you even hear the these speakers if no stores carry them ?

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

I don’t have a bunch of HIFI shops around me so I mostly shop the online discount racks and roll the dice after a bit of due diligence researching the speakers/audio gear I’m interested in.
Others in dense population areas do well buying used gear locally and they can generally have a listen before handing over their money.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I don’t have a bunch of HIFI shops around me so I mostly shop the online discount racks and roll the dice after a bit of due diligence researching the speakers/audio gear I’m interested in.
Others in dense population areas do well buying used gear locally and they can generally have a listen before handing over their money.
Yes, it is daunting to think about paying $2K or more for some Vento or Vento Reference without being able to hear them in home, or even at a local dealer. And I similarly do not have much in the way of audio shops near me; Dallas is about two hours away. That is why I have recently attended AXPONA and RMAF, in that I at least can get an idea of what "good" sounds like.

But it is also nice to have a forum like this, wherein one can find the opinions of people who actually have used these Cantons in their homes and have compared them to competing speakers.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
My Canton Reference 3 DC speakers continue to impress me at all sound levels. After living with these speakers and playing them everyday for the last 2 months they are the best speakers I have heard or owned for 2-channel music. The Cantons, to me, are a revelation as they dig deep into the soundstage and present many of the songs as realistic as one can hope for in an audio system.

For those who need to listen to a speaker before they purchase, that can be a very daunting task. To just rely on others and reviewers can present a bias opinion. No one wants to admit that their gear doesn't sound good or even great. For me I took a chance on buying the Cantons without hearing them and relying on others.

In the end I feel like a got the bargain of the century or at least the decade. Granted that everyone hearing is not the same. Not having the same the gear or listen room may have more to do with how the speaker sound than anything else.

Goo luck in your pursuit to finding the perfect system for your taste, finances, and ears.

redboat77

redboat77

Enthusiast
Just based upon my memory the Canton Reference 3 DC I believe are better than my former speakers, Salk HT3. High praise indeed.
Thanks for this comparison. I am looking at the Salk HT3 (used for $2800) and the Canton Vento Reference 3.2s to go in my 500 sq ft listening room with 11 foot ceilings. After a year of listening, do you still prefer the Cantons?

Last edited:
R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
I sill believe that the Salk HT3 are one of the best speakers on the market and at $2800 represent a bargain. I don't believe you could go wrong with any of those speakers. I still love my Cantons which I felt were slightly better than the HT3 but could live with either one.

Good luck.

redboat77

redboat77

Enthusiast
I sill believe that the Salk HT3 are one of the best speakers on the market and at $2800 represent a bargain. I don't believe you could go wrong with any of those speakers. I still love my Cantons which I felt were slightly better than the HT3 but could live with either one.

Good luck.
Thanks for your comment. I notice Salk discontinued the HT3 due to the woofer being discontinued. https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Veracity HT3

New Canton Vento Reference 3.2's are officially selling for $6000/pair on AccessoriesforLess.com although one of the reviewers claims to have bought them for $4600 with a center speaker thrown in the deal.

Last edited:
redboat77

redboat77

Enthusiast
3.2 vs 896

3.2 excellent mids, sharper tweets, bass that didn’t extend to lowest octaves

896 similar mids, smooth tweeters with amazing details, extended bass with new upgraded titanium drivers.
The Canton 3.2s midrange and bass drivers are aluminum, while the 896.2's are titanium. Here's a comparison of these materials for drivers:

"Titanium does not have the internal damping of aluminum and thus has marginally higher distortion levels...Further, due to its lower stiffness, titanium goes into breakup at a lower frequency. This issue of breakup is worth elaboration. Ideally, a dynamic loudspeaker diaphragm should act as a piston, with all points in uniform motion. However, since diaphragms are not infinitely rigid, there will be a condition at which the forces acting upon it cause oscillating deflections resulting in different points on the surface moving in different directions. Under this condition, the diaphragm is said to be in breakup, and there is an attendant increase in distortion. Both aluminum and titanium compression driver diaphragms are in breakup for much of their response. On a large format driver, the breakup modes for aluminum diaphragms occur as low as 7000 Hz, and for titanium diaphragms, as low as 4000 Hz."

"Much hoopla and marketing hype has been made about the virtues of Titanium as a diaphragm material. It is interesting to note, however, that in lab tests conducted over a decade ago by Dr. Eugene Patronis at the University of Georgia Tech, some surprising results emerged. In an A- B comparison between a Radian 4” diaphragm and 4” Titanium diaphragm in a non-Radian compression driver, there was twice as much 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortion in the Titanium unit as there was in the Radian diaphragm. In addition, the Radian diaphragm had more extended high frequency response than the Titanium unit."

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
^ in the real world how much of that is audible that you can hear?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis