Can Speakers Help with this Mess?

M

MobiusMu

Enthusiast
I just moved into this house and the family room is the worst acoustical room ever! 24'x24'x20' with hardwood floors, dry wall walls and ceilings, and lots of glass. Shoot me now! There is only so much I can do to absorb and diffuse that the wife will allow. I know that absorption and diffusion is the best thing to do, but assume that it is not an option, is there anything that speakers can do?

I am thinking, but have no clue, that the lower the sound the less reflections (or at least they will die faster). So, would larger, clearer speakers help at all? Is there any technology or speaker design that could help?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Attachments

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
good luck with that room. u have my sympathy. and the wife has final say? keep that revolver nearby, u may need it. ;)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'd consider building a room above it (that could be a custom theater :) long before putting any money in to speakers for that room. Say hello to $600 a month electric bills!

Solar?

M

MobiusMu

Enthusiast
No solar yet, but thinking about it. I actually brought up adding another level...I am glad the revolver was not close by...she would have shot me! She loves the aesthetics of the room and is not a big movie or music fan so she does not care about the acoustics. Hence my dilemma.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
No solar yet, but thinking about it. I actually brought up adding another level...I am glad the revolver was not close by...she would have shot me! She loves the aesthetics of the room and is not a big movie or music fan so she does not care about the acoustics. Hence my dilemma.
A space that large is going to need to be dedicated due to the incredible volume. I wouldn't put any money into speakers for that room. A small bedroom would be a far better choice, and allow you to custom tailor a great deal more!

L

Locoweed

Audioholic Intern
I would think if you can afford a house like that you could afford to have a professional come out & get their input.

M

MobiusMu

Enthusiast
I have a pro coming out but it is one person and I wanted the opinion of several online so I can have a better conversation with the pro.

I am converting the back sitting room to home theater but the TV in the family room still gets used and would like to be able understand it.

M

MobiusMu

Enthusiast
I am not looking for ideal listening and movie watching and money is not the bottleneck. Just wondering what technology might exist that could help for inteligability. For times when we are having guests over, watching the game, or just having the news on without firing up the theater room.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a pro coming out but it is one person and I wanted the opinion of several online so I can have a better conversation with the pro.

I am converting the back sitting room to home theater but the TV in the family room still gets used and would like to be able understand it.
In order to just understand the TV in that room, you will have to do lots of things your wife will definitely not like.

Unless your wife makes a lot of movement I would abandon that space for AV.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The only speakers I know that actually need a reflective floor are the Dr. Don Keele's CBT-36. The floor reflection completes the array and therefore hardwood floor will not be an issue. Unfortunately, all other reflections will still pose a challenge.

Here's the inventors page, http://www.audioartistry.com/products_CBT.htm. The white paper posted here is an awesome read.

The CBT-36 is only available as a kit from PE, http://www.parts-express.com/audio-artistry-cbt36k-line-array-speaker-pair-kit--301-980

M

MobiusMu

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies!

I was afraid this was going to be the response:

"Unless your wife makes a lot of movement I would abandon that space for AV."

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
It's not a lost cause. It certainly won't be perfect but heavy curtains and a much bigger area rug will help. You can also look at this company. Very innovative (and wife friendly) solutions for problems like yours.

www.snowsoundusa.com

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It's not a lost cause. It certainly won't be perfect but heavy curtains and a much bigger area rug will help. You can also look at this company. Very innovative (and wife friendly) solutions for problems like yours.

www.snowsoundusa.com
Whoa, those don't even have prices, but are no more than 1.5" thickness. An air gap is needed for even a 2" panel to be even remotely effective.

@MobiusMu ^ that would be an example of why sites like this exist. in 2016, we do have a pretty good understanding of how humans perceive, and prefer, sound. But there's a lot of white paper reading to do to get there, not to mention needing to learn HTML to launch a website to sell your snake oil ;-)

Use one of the smaller rooms and build an awesome stereo 2.2 man cave!

M

MobiusMu

Enthusiast
Thanks Warrior! I am going to have fund building the 2.2 mancave, I might even splurge for the 802 Diamonds since I don't have to spend any money on AV in the family room :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Get a good set of headphones.
You might try some electrostatic speakers. Try to find flat panels so that dispersion is minimized. That way you might have some control over reflections bouncing around.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Warrior! I am going to have fund building the 2.2 mancave, I might even splurge for the 802 Diamonds since I don't have to spend any money on AV in the family room :)
Post some pics, and stick around!

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Whoa, those don't even have prices, but are no more than 1.5" thickness. An air gap is needed for even a 2" panel to be even remotely effective.

@MobiusMu ^ that would be an example of why sites like this exist. in 2016, we do have a pretty good understanding of how humans perceive, and prefer, sound. But there's a lot of white paper reading to do to get there, not to mention needing to learn HTML to launch a website to sell your snake oil ;-)

Use one of the smaller rooms and build an awesome stereo 2.2 man cave!
On one of the custom installer boards I visit, we talk about home theater and room acoustics all the time. There are definitely a few non-reputable brand/products out there that simply don't work. Snowsound is not one of them. One of the regular posters installed a ceiling mounted unit like the one in the link below. He said it worked exceptionally well. I have not used Snowsound so I can't give you any first hand experience with the product, but the company has won numerous design awards, so they aren't selling "snake oil."

http://www.snowsoundusa.com/projects/#!mg_ld=2560

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

The installer is going to recommend inwalls, don't do it.

J

jandewitt

Audiophyte
Hi, I was wondering if you already tried out some music. I would like to know what the actual problem is. I can guess offcourse, but what is the real problem? For now the only thing I can think of is digital signal processing for the acoustical problems.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis