Can someone please run my parameters and find the perfect box for my sub?

• Thread starter cameron paterson
  • Start date
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just the crossover setting is for both. Does anyone have anything to say about the kappa perfect box having a 55" long port?
Yes, if you want a tuned sub and the port needs to exceed about 22" you need to think about an ABR instead of a port.

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Yes, if you want a tuned sub and the port needs to exceed about 22" you need to think about an ABR instead of a port.
Why? Your design http://www.drmarksays.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/Dayton-Audio-RSS460HO-4-18-inch-slot-vent.pdf has a port that is 37” long and is using a driver with a much worse EBP for a vented design than the OP’s TC Sounds driver.

In Bassbox Pro 6, the OP’s design and your design model very comparably. Your design has a port resonance around 160 Hz too...

Ww

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Your problem port problem is not the most serious.

Your problem is that the suspension of that driver is not designed for anything other than a sealed box.

Take a look at the file below.

First you can not get rid of the bass peak. That is the maximum I can minimize it.

Now look at maximum acoustic power. You can not get to 105 db until 70 Hz because of lack of restoring force in a vented cabinet.

Now look at the maximum electrical input power. Note because this driver has a very powerful motor system and not much restoring force in the suspension it takes only a puny amount of power where you want it in a vented cabinet. If you use more you will damage the driver and may be you have already by using it improperly in the wrong application.

Now look at the impedance graph. That absolutely tells you, you can not tune that driver in a vented box. It does NOT actually tune. There is no dual saddle hump curve.

Those are the reasons why there are no vented alignments out there for that driver. There are just absolute contraindications to a tuned enclosure. This is truly a sealed only driver.

I just don't know why you persist with this.

You have a driver that used correctly as the designers intended can make for a really good sub.
Those characteristics are a powerful motor system and very large excursion. When you make that choice the driver is not going to work in a tuned box. Those are the facts.

If you want a vented sub, then you have to sell that driver and get something else suited to that application.

That is why I at first did not publish a vented design in case someone actually tried to build it putting at risk an expensive driver.

Hopefully I have given enough graphic warning here not to try and tune this driver, but put it in a sealed box with Eq. With mini DSP and such this is not difficult.

Attachments

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
You're saying my sub wont hit over 105db until 70Hz? ahem ahem! Bullsh*t!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You're saying my sub wont hit over 105db until 70Hz? ahem ahem! Bullsh*t!
Well look at the graphs. It might well hit over 105 db at 70 Hz. There is no x-max I can find for that driver only x-mech. However you can infer that if you do drive it over 105 db at 70 Hz and especially under then distortion is going to be high and you risk damage.

As part of your obstinacy you seem to have no concept of the volume quality equation.

That driver is NOT for tuned/vented application and that is the plain fact.

Just look at the model.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
the Qts of .325 says it should be ported. The box you showed on your graphs os 3.6ft3. Mine is 7.3ft. And on Winisd it said my sub was 111db at 15Hz and 116db at 20Hz! With my 1000watt amp. And my sub has a 16" long x 3" slot port that's 39" long... not a 3 inch round port. Xmax is 33.7mm

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

the Qts of .325 says it should be ported. The box you showed on your graphs os 3.6ft3. Mine is 7.3ft. And on Winisd it said my sub was 111db at 15Hz and 116db at 20Hz! With my 1000watt amp. And my sub has a 16" long x 3" slot port that's 39" long... not a 3 inch round port. Xmax is 33.7mm
Whatever it says its wrong.

Box pro says quite clearly when you enter the data for that driver, the alignment has to be closed box and it is correct. You really only need to look at the impedance curve to see the problem.

If you want to build it go ahead and get careful measurements. They won't look pretty.
Now I'm done with your idiocy.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
the winisd program recommends ported. I already have the box I want built and it sounds amazing!

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Of course the measurements you took are horrible.. you used a 3" round port instead of the slot port I have that is 16" wide x 3" high x 39" long. You also used a box that is 3.2ft3.... my box is 7.3ft3. Yes I am an idiot and my sub sounds horrible lol.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Of course the measurements you took are horrible.. you used a 3" round port instead of the slot port I have that is 16" wide x 3" high x 39" long. You also used a box that is 3.2ft3.... my box is 7.3ft3. Yes I am an idiot and my sub sounds horrible lol.
I discovered operator error last night and found I had used the wrong units for cms entering data.

See the corrected file.

Now that file shows the optimal box. The driver has an early slope and high F3. However the slope is gentle at first leaving a 6 db point of 20 Hz.

Using a larger box (7cu.ft.) for an extended bass alignment only gains you two Hz of bass extension, and degrades the overall response and is not worth it.

This driver is not ideal for porting and is still better sealed. I can be certain it was conceived for sealed application.

You can tell suitability for ported versus sealed application by the Fs/Qes. If that number is less then 50 then only a sealed application is suitable. If it over 100 it is not suitable for sealed application and needs some type of loading.

Your driver has an Fs/Qes of 58, so it is well towards the ported end of the scale, but you can use a ported alignment.

However that is a big expensive driver to get an F3 of 30 Hz. You can not Eq a ported alignment as the driver decouples from the box below F3.

The port is long, but as long as you use it 60 Hz and below you will not excite the port resonance. Vent air velocity is a little high, but I doubt you will use the full power of that driver in a ported alignment.

That driver has a massive motor system and enormous excursion potential. In a sealed alignment with proper Eq it would easily be flat to 20 Hz. and give you at least half an octave bass extension compared to a ported alignment.

If it for music I think either alignment will be pretty much equivalent on listening. If is ultimate reproduction of Hollywood LFE effects then a sealed alignment is the way to go.

Attachments

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Well it looked fine on Winisd with 7.3ft3 and my port and tuned at 20Hz. I am not changing my box its sounds frickin awesome!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well it looked fine on Winisd with 7.3ft3 and my port and tuned at 20Hz. I am not changing my box its sounds frickin awesome!
Enjoy! But your missing out on "real" frickin awesome :D The only non sealed alignments are PRs and Horns that are used. A 22" cubed box is cheap to make to see what your not hearing...

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
My box is made of 1" MDf and double window braced one third of the way thru the box twice. I think I will have more output with the ported model. I would have to get an Inuke to EQ that sealed box to get as low as my ported box gets!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis