Can similar AVRs sound that different?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
She's in charge of the volume;) I don't think we're listening any louder than we ever had... She thinks I play it too loud:eek:
Thanks for the good news, may be this is a real discovery and not just in our heads. I started the thread on this unit, hopefully more people may/will report similar experience.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Tarn-x is available most places and it will totally remove any oxidation from copper, silver etc. If you try it on a copper penny or silver coin, it will make it shine like brand new. Available from Amazon and many stores.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
You can probably get contact cleaner for less at Digikey.
Ah yes, but does it enhance? Does it condition? Does it seal? Just kidding - Deoxit has been the "standard" in the audio community for years but I am sure there are cheaper products out there...

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
LittleWing, has a Yamaha unit, he’s been very happy with it. My Yamaha TSR - 7790, I got from A4L, for 299.00, sold new for 899.00, has been a very good unit just doesn’t have Atmos or DTS-X.

Mike
Yeah, I really like the 3060. Built like a tank, (for an AVR) ;). It looks great in the rack, has good functionality, it's future proof, as far as I'm concerned. And it sounds great! Grips? Yes, a few:
1. The remote is not very good. Too many little buttons.
2. The inputs are numbered 1 through 7. Instead of Cable/Sat, Blu-Ray, CD, etc. Once you get used to it, it's ok, I guess.
3. You have to repeatedly hit the "Net" button on the remote to cycle through network music options, Server, Pandora, Internet Radio, Airplay, etc.

Minor grips aside, the sound is first rate. Especially since I changed the crossover from 60hz to 90hz. It's noticeably better. The sound has been powerful enough to have kept me from going back in my pocket and adding an external amp.

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Yeah, I really like the 3060. Built like a tank, (for an AVR) ;). It looks great in the rack, has good functionality, it's future proof, as far as I'm concerned. And it sounds great! Grips? Yes, a few:
2. The inputs are numbered 1 through 7. Instead of Cable/Sat, Blu-Ray, CD, etc. Once you get used to it, it's ok, I guess.
3. You have to repeatedly hit the "Net" button on the remote to cycle through network music options, Server, Pandora, Internet Radio, Airplay, etc.

Minor grips aside, the sound is first rate. Especially since I changed the crossover from 60hz to 90hz. It's noticeably better. The sound has been powerful enough to have kept me from going back in my pocket and adding an external amp.
LittleWing, I’m stacking up my funds for a Yamaha flagship! I just got my Impression Elite Towers last week!

Mike

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
LittleWing, I’m stacking up my funds for a Yamaha flagship! I just got my Impression Elite Towers last week!

Mike
Wow, nice! How do you like the RBH towers? I haven't heard them but they make excellent speakers. And a Yamaha flagship will be great! Will you go with the amps in the Yamaha, or external? Congrats on the new speakers.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Wow, nice! How do you like the RBH towers? I haven't heard them but they make excellent speakers. And a Yamaha flagship will be great! Will you go with the amps in the Yamaha, or external? Congrats on the new speakers.
Thanks LittleWing! Absolutely love them Towers! They came in last Thursday with the matching center, they are really smooth and very detailed, imaging is impeccable! Driving them with my Yamaha TSR- 7790 paired with my Emotiva XPA- 5, 1st gen. The lowend is very good! Steve’s review on them is spot on! That’s why I’m stacking up funds for a Yamaha flagship.

Mike

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Thanks LittleWing! Absolutely love them Towers! They came in last Thursday with the matching center, they are really smooth and very detailed, imaging is impeccable! Driving them with my Yamaha TSR- 7790 paired with my Emotiva XPA- 5, 1st gen. The lowend is very good! Steve’s review on them is spot on! That’s why I’m stacking up funds for a Yamaha flagship.

Mike
The updated YPAO and the premium chip set in the Yammy should make them sound even better! :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. I don't even use my remote since I use my iPad and Phone as the remote.
2. I actually love that they are labeled #1 - #7 on the REAR panel, instead of Cable/Sat, BD, CD, etc. since I don't use any BD, CD, etc. However, you can change all the names of the Inputs so that on your iPad/Phone remote, the Inputs show the Names that you changed to.

So for my Inputs on my iPad/Phone, it shows something like "HTPC-1, HTPC-2, HTPC-3, Direct TV", instead of "AV-1, AV-2, AV-3, AV-4, etc.".

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
2. I actually love that they are labeled #1 - #7 on the REAR panel, instead of Cable/Sat, BD, CD, etc. since I don't use any BD, CD, etc. However, you can change all the names of the Inputs so that on your iPad/Phone remote, the Inputs show the Names that you changed to.

So for my Inputs on my iPad/Phone, it shows something like "HTPC-1, HTPC-2, HTPC-3, Direct TV", instead of "AV-1, AV-2, AV-3, AV-4, etc.".
I am using the magic of hdmi 2.0a for using my Yamaha remotes to control my Sony players and my one Apple 4K TV streamer since those remotes actually are worse. :)

Otherwise my iPhone 6s can do the pandora plus or airplay controls via the Yamaha controller app. I do have the musicast app but only benefit I see besides multi room linking is the album artwork appears larger. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am using the magic of hdmi 2.0a for using my Yamaha remotes to control my Sony players and my one Apple 4K TV streamer since those remotes actually are worse. :)

Otherwise my iPhone 6s can do the pandora plus or airplay controls via the Yamaha controller app. I do have the musicast app but only benefit I see besides multi room linking is the album artwork appears larger. :)
So the Yamaha Remote is a Universal remote that can control the Sony TV and Apple TV? How does HDMI 2.0a fit into this?

I don't know much about these remotes. My CX-A5100 remote is in the original plastic cover/bag and stored in my equipment cabinet. :D

I've used AirPlay in the past, but not anymore. Never used Pandora or Music-cast. Now I just use my HTPC for everything - movies, music, TV.

I use a USB keyboard w/ Touchpad for my HTPC and iPad to control the Yamaha CX-A5100. Extremely simple setup. :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General

Yep - I did change the input names - Direct TV, Oppo Blu Ray, Firestick, etc, etc. Just personal preference I guess. I have the app on my phone as well. My thing is, for a 2k receiver the included remote is not very good. I feel like it could've been designed better. Apparently Yamaha agrees. Look at the remote for the 3080.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So the Yamaha Remote is a Universal remote that can control the Sony TV and Apple TV? How does HDMI 2.0a fit into this?

I don't know much about these remotes. My CX-A5100 remote is in the original plastic cover/bag and stored in my equipment cabinet. :D

I've used AirPlay in the past, but not anymore. Never used Pandora or Music-cast. Now I just use my HTPC for everything - movies, music, TV.

I use a USB keyboard w/ Touchpad for my HTPC and iPad to control the Yamaha CX-A5100. Extremely simple setup. :D
Not a universal remote but HDMI CEC is a way HDMI devices can control each other. That’s the magic. Works good only if all devices play well with each other. Sony and Yamaha and Apple and Samsung play nice with each other If they all are all near or on the same hdmi version.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Yep - I did change the input names - Direct TV, Oppo Blu Ray, Firestick, etc, etc. Just personal preference I guess. I have the app on my phone as well. My thing is, for a 2k receiver the included remote is not very good. I feel like it could've been designed better. Apparently Yamaha agrees. Look at the remote for the 3080.
I'm not a big fan of using my phone as a remote either.

I'm over the moon with my new Harmony remote. Download their app, use the supplied USB cord to plug it into the computer, and enter your model numbers. Then it'll lead you through setting up sequences. It really just took a few minutes.

When I went to use it it didn't go to my programmed home tv channel. The screen on the remote said hit the help button if it didn't work. I hit help, it said try again. Worked flawless since.

I think it would be smart for OEM's to source these:D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I'm not a big fan of using my phone as a remote either.

I'm over the moon with my new Harmony remote. Download their app, use the supplied USB cord to plug it into the computer, and enter your model numbers. Then it'll lead you through setting up sequences. It really just took a few minutes.

When I went to use it it didn't go to my programmed home tv channel. The screen on the remote said hit the help button if it didn't work. I hit help, it said try again. Worked flawless since.

I think it would be smart for OEM's to source these:D
Which Harmony remote did you get?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I agree that the remote for the 3080 looks better than the 3070.

Perhaps the Universal Remote on the CX-A5100 might be the best one Yamaha has. But I don't use it either. :D

One thing I absolutely love about the Yamaha Remote App is that it has worked 100% of the time. I've been using the remote app everyday since Summer. And it still works 100% of the time. That's amazing. Not once has this Yamaha Remote App failed. And that's with both my iPad and Android Phone.

I've been so accustomed to the Denon Remote App working only about 20% of the time. I pretty much gave up on that stupid Denon Remote App for both iPad and Android. :eek:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I like to use the remote that came with my gear. I have tried those apps, they ok. Maybe I should get me one of those Fancy LCD remotes.

Mike

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis