Can similar AVRs sound that different?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I have no idea why the AVR-X3400H sounds so good subjectively too, so I know why you are questioning. Again, it could be expectation bias at work, that we don't expect something that simple, and cheap (relatively speaking) can be that good. Don't tell Hetfield, but I think the low street price tag probably is messing with his head too:D

This thing has received enough praises by AH owners already, for $599 or less street price now, it deserves an owner's thread so that we can start collecting all sorts of flowering words on its sound signature, @ADTG where are you when we need you to start an owner's thread?
The thing is I was writing it off as a placebo effect until my gf commented it sounds better. This took me by surprise. To this point the only comment she's ever made is she likes the surround sound when watching action movies.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Excellent thread guys!! I’ve had this very same experience with different AVR’s, passed it off on, engineering, different parts used, or just a sleight of my memory from old AVR to the new one.

Mike
One theory I have -- if you've had an AVR for a matter of years, the quality of your cable connections may have deteriorated over those years, perhaps some oxidation? Then, when you install a new AVR, you are making brand new connections when you seat the cables into the jacks. I like to re-seat my cables around once per month, and it seems to make a slight difference, fwiw.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
One theory I have -- if you've had an AVR for a matter of years, the quality of your cable connections may have deteriorated over those years, perhaps some oxidation? Then, when you install a new AVR, you are making brand new connections when you seat the cables into the jacks. I like to re-seat my cables around once per month, and it seems to make a slight difference, fwiw.
I couldn’t believe how much dust was on my old RXV3300 when I sent it on its way. A good 10 years of dust at least! :) I went from a 2003 RXV3300 to a 2016 RXA2060. :)

TechHDS

Audioholic General
You gotta point on “oxidation” I had a cable do just that not recently though. Is there a “cleaner” out there just for cleaning the ends of the connectors? I have used alcohol and a Q-tip seems to work well. But didn’t use much and wiped it off immediately with a clean lint free rag.

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I couldn’t believe how much dust was on my old RXV3300 when I sent it on its way. A good 10 years of dust at least! :) I went from a 2003 RXV3300 to a 2016 RXA2060. :)
Snakeeyes, very good point! about the dust thing. My XPA- 5 had accumulated a lot of dust inside. I opened it up used a small Vac with a lil flexible arm that has this lil brush and light worked very well removing the dust.

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@ADTG where are you when we need you to start an owner's thread?
I was going to, but then my Denon AVP-A1HDCI died and that pissed me off. :eek::D

I suppose both Denon and Yamaha deserve their "Owners' Thread". :D

Did @3db ever start a Yamaha Owner's Thread since he has been a "champion of Yamaha" for so long? :D

If not, I'll start a Yamaha Owner's Thread if you will start a Denon Owner's Thread. Haha. :D

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It's going to be hard to do anything to check the difference. I'm not going to put the Integra, which intermittently works, back in...

The Intergra had an older version of Audyssey MultiEQ, which I used, not the x32 the Denon has.
Compare them without using any processing. If it still sounds better, you have your answer.

I have sold Denon for quite a while and signed on with Yamaha a few years ago when they introduced MusicCast- unfortunately, I haven't sold any Aventage AVRs with larger speakers, but the amplified MusicCast piece sounds good through Monitor speakers. The last two Denon AVRs I had sounded really good without using processing (my system is two channel) with all sources- I never had any urge to compare or replace it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was going to, but then my Denon AVP-A1HDCI died and that pissed me off. :eek::D

Did @3db ever start a Yamaha Owner's Thread since he has been a "champion of Yamaha" for so long? :D

If not, I'll start a Yamaha Owner's Thread if you will start a Denon Owner's Thread. Haha. :D
I don't want to be perceived as being biased because I own D&M products, how about I start one on Yamaha?

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

What was the final failure on the AVP? Do you still have the unit?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The thing is I was writing it off as a placebo effect until my gf commented it sounds better. This took me by surprise. To this point the only comment she's ever made is she likes the surround sound when watching action movies.
Did you volume match for her? The Denon may be louder due to a slightly higher gain.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What was the final failure on the AVP? Do you still have the unit?
Zero output.

The AVP-A1HD was sent in to the Denon NJ center twice and they couldn't (or wouldn't) fix it.

It is sitting in my living room looking pretty as a decor. :D

Looking back, it's very strange - almost Twilight Zone-like.

Before I bought my AVP-A1HD brand new, I bought a pre-owned AVPA1HD from an authorized dealer. When I got it, it had Zero output. Tried different amps, still no output. So I returned it and bought a brand new AVP-A1.

8 years later my AVP-A1 had the same problem - zero output.

It was like the first AVP-A1 was a foreshadowing. I saw the future of it, but didn't even know it. :eek:

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own a RX-V659 and still own it technically speaking so I guess I could start one.
I'm surprised no one has ever started the owner's thread for both Yamaha and Denon. It seems like we only have owner's threads for speakers. :D

Since you own Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz, I don't think anyone would think you're bias for starting threads for all three brands. :D

I own only 1 Yamaha (CX-A5100) since I've been mostly all-Denon in the past.

I recall how 3dB would recommend Yamaha, while you and I would recommend Denon/Marantz. LOL. :D

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Umm, Good4it, kind of started at Yamaha Thread. ;) :D. Other sites have AVR only Threads and of other gear, So yeah We need a “Only” Thread for specific AVR’s.

Mike

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm surprised no one has ever started the owner's thread for both Yamaha and Denon. It seems like we only have owner's threads for speakers. :D

Since you own Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz, I don't think anyone would think you're bias for starting threads for all three brands. :D

I own only 1 Yamaha (CX-A5100) since I've been mostly all-Denon in the past.

I recall how 3dB would recommend Yamaha, while you and I would recommend Denon/Marantz. LOL. :D
I agree 3 dB should do one. Let's give him all week, then we'll elect someone else. Lots of happy RX-A 10X0 through 30X0 on AH for sure, even Good4it seemed happy now that he got a brand new replacement.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Umm, Good4it, kind of started at Yamaha Thread. ;):D. Other sites have AVR only Threads and of other gear, So yeah We need a “Only” Thread for specific AVR’s.

Mike
Agreed, it is better to have such thread for specific model, or series so it will run a year maximum. There is a very popular site that has such threads. I like AH most because it allows pricing info and the site seems much cleaner, few/no annoying pop ups. Best run site of this sort imo, hats off to Gene, and the mods!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree 3 dB should do one. Let's give him all week, then we'll elect someone else. Lots of happy RX-A 10X0 through 30X0 on AH for sure, even Good4it seemed happy now that he got a brand new replacement.
Actually, I spoke too soon for Good4it. He decided not to return his Yamaha 3080 for a replacement. So he kept his 3080.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Did you volume match for her? The Denon may be louder due to a slightly higher gain.
She's in charge of the volume;) I don't think we're listening any louder than we ever had... She thinks I play it too loud:eek:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
LittleWing, has a Yamaha unit, he’s been very happy with it. My Yamaha TSR - 7790, I got from A4L, for 299.00, sold new for 899.00, has been a very good unit just doesn’t have Atmos or DTS-X.

Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis