Can similar AVRs sound that different?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Which Harmony remote did you get?
I went with the $45 Harmony 665 10 device universal remote.

Went to BB thinking I was going to get a hub model, but changed my mind when I got there. Hub remotes would be better if you want to use your phone, or run home automation.

There are 4 quick buttons. 3 run sequences directly and the fourth brings the remainder up on the screen. Thus, those would be two button operation.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Yeah, I agree that the remote for the 3080 looks better than the 3070.

Perhaps the Universal Remote on the CX-A5100 might be the best one Yamaha has. But I don't use it either. :D

One thing I absolutely love about the Yamaha Remote App is that it has worked 100% of the time. I've been using the remote app everyday since Summer. And it still works 100% of the time. That's amazing. Not once has this Yamaha Remote App failed. And that's with both my iPad and Android Phone.

I've been so accustomed to the Denon Remote App working only about 20% of the time. I pretty much gave up on that stupid Denon Remote App for both iPad and Android. :eek:
20 % of the time?? That ain't no good. Another reason to stick with Yamaha ..:)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I went with the $45 Harmony 665 10 device universal remote.

Went to BB thinking I was going to get a hub model, but changed my mind when I got there. Hub remotes would be better if you want to use your phone, or run home automation.

There are 4 quick buttons. 3 run sequences directly and the fourth brings the remainder up on the screen. Thus, those would be two button operation.
I tried a Logitech universal remote years ago and ended up returning it. Can't remember exactly why. It might have been that I was trying to combine 3 or 4 remotes, and I ended up missing some functionality on the Universal, so I couldn't totally put the other remotes away.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I tried a Logitech universal remote years ago and ended up returning it. Can't remember exactly why. It might have been that I was trying to combine 3 or 4 remotes, and I ended up missing some functionality on the Universal, so I couldn't totally put the other remotes away.
This generation is in a totally different league than the old ones:)

I had an older one before. It was a pia to program and I recall it still only ended up with basic functionality. IOW, for advanced options I would dig out the oem remote.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
20 % of the time?? That ain't no good. Another reason to stick with Yamaha ..:)
Yep. Extremely annoying.

Since my equipments are in a closet, the WiFi remote app is a big thing for me. And the WiFi Remote/Network/AirPlay on the Denon was completely unreliable for me.

I have not tried AirPlay or Music-Cast on the Yamaha, but will have to try and compare it to Denon.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Yep. Extremely annoying.

Since my equipments are in a closet, the WiFi remote app is a big thing for me. And the WiFi Remote/Network/AirPlay on the Denon was completely unreliable for me.

I have not tried AirPlay or Music-Cast on the Yamaha, but will have to try and compare it to Denon.
In that case the wifi remote app is big time. My gear is front and center.

The lady loves airplay. She pulls up her music on her phone and cast it to the 3060. It sounds tremendous. Practically indistinguishable from the WAV files I stream via Ethernet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In that case the wifi remote app is big time. My gear is front and center.

The lady loves airplay. She pulls up her music on her phone and cast it to the 3060. It sounds tremendous. Practically indistinguishable from the WAV files I stream via Ethernet.
Does the AirPlay turn off right in the middle of a song all by itself on the Yamaha like it does on my Denon's? That's the reason I've stopped using AirPlay and been using 100% Ethernet playback via my HTPC.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Does the AirPlay turn off right in the middle of a song all by itself on the Yamaha like it does on my Denon's? That's the reason I've stopped using AirPlay and been using 100% Ethernet playback via my HTPC.
Airplay is solid on my WiFI. No dropouts from Amazon Music App on my iPhone 6s over the past year but I did switch to Pandora plus this summer and I run Pandora now within the Yamahas for simplicity. I still use Airplay from my iPhone if I want to try a music link on this site though. :)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Not once. It's quick and solid. It displays the Album/Artist and song on the screen. No problems at all with Airplay, and it's super easy to use

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis