Can I utilize atmos with my current setup if I get a new receiver?

C

Civilguy93

Audiophyte
I have been thinking about upgrading my surround sound system lately to try and take advantage of Dolby Atmos. I would prefer to try to utilize my current system and just get a new receiver for now and upgrade the rest as time goes on.

I currently have a Logitech Z906 5.1 system but my apartment also has 5 speakers (model is unclear) built into the ceiling. Currently I use the two rear ceilings and the rest are my logitech system. I don't use the speakers on it, so I don't think it matters but I have a Sony 65xbr900f TV.

If I buy a new 7.2 receiver will I be able to advantage of Atmos? Or will it not really be worth it given my speakers are nothing special to begin with? I would mostly use it for gaming (hopefully on a ps5 soon), music, and some 4k uhd movies. I do use my record player alot but I know a good set of bookshelf speakers are best for this and atmos will do nothing for this application.

I would prefer to spend as little as possible, especially if I get a ps5 :) I see some 7.2 sony receivers capable of atmos for under $300 right now.

All thoughts are appreciated, as are any recommendations on potential receivers or other reasonable upgrades! Sorry for the long post.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis