Can I use my TFT PC Monitor?

L

Leporello

Audiophyte
Having read through the very informative threads on these fora I fear that my question may be viewed as heresy here, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, so here goes.

I have a Benq FP791 TFT monitor on my PC and inside that a PCI digital TV card. I am able to receive great pictures and sound through the PC. I'm about to buy a Denon 500SD one box home cinema set up, essentially as an upgrade to my computer. :eek: I'm a writer, doomed to spend the rest of my life alone here in my half lit study whilst my family is out contributing to the World's problems. I want to add some drama to my lonely existence. I want to add some BLAAM! to Half Life 2 and I want to be almost at Glyndebourne for their production of Le Nozzi di Figaro, courtesy of my DVD. However, I suffer from severe mental handicap. I can only concentrate on one screen at a time, hence my question...

My monitor is equipped with a DVD and a Dsub connector. It also came equipped with an AV box with an inbuilt TV tuner. (I set this up a year ago when the monitor was new. It worked but I abandoned it to a cupboard. This box and the monitor support NTSC, PAL or SECAM. It has sockets labelled Video with eight pins, Video out with nine pins. I think these are standard. The box connects to the monitor via an 8 pin socket labelled PC. So far so good, but my manuals, printed in bold lettering, with many illustrations and in eleven languages, adds up to a half page of A4 in actual information.

I have a naive fantasy that a DVI-D connector can connect a TFT monitor to any digital source. Is this so? and if yes, is there a connector or adaptor I should be looking for?

Whoops! I've gone on for too long. I'd welcome comments, suggestions and hundred dollar bills.

Leporello. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis